Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 16:35:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: 15.51 Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill  (Read 84150 times)
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2014, 11:32:18 »

Yes, the peaks aren't really too much of a problem, it's the 'just before the peak' time from Oxford between 3-5pm, where there's only a 15:20, 16:49 and then 17:32.  If, for example, through trains from London to at least Worcester departed Oxford at 15:15, 16:15, 17:15, 18:15, 18:45, 19:15 and 20:15, then you could squeeze a shuttle service from Didcot/Oxford to Moreton in at 16:45 and 17:45 which could mop up all the passengers for the halts and remove the likes of Shipton from the fast trains helping to cut through journey times.  Capacity problem solved.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2014, 11:45:19 »

You won't need to - and it's unlikely there'd be a spare turbo in the peaks....

You've got....
^15:46 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - Hereford 5-car
^16:46 PAD - Worcester 5-car
^17:46 PAD - Hereford 10-car
and I suggest that the operator will insert (as now)
1622/1722 (ish)

and there will be a 1846 too
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2014, 12:24:31 »

Isn't that pretty much what I've said?  And we haven't 'got' anything yet - except a demonstration timetable, which is exactly that.  If they come through from London then even better of course, but will there be spare IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) in the peak?  I'd have thought 8 or 12-car EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) to Oxford and a connecting train beyond would stand a better chance stock availability wise.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2014, 12:25:27 »

One issue is that the last non-peak train along the Cotswold line from Paddington (1551) is very much a peak time train from Oxford. So this train gets filled at Paddington by passengers avoiding peak times and added to by the peak at Oxford.

The reduction in capacity has already caused a spreading out of journeys, the 1520 ex OXF» (Oxford - next trains) and the 1732 used to be quite quiet, but are now usually (and almost always on fridays) very cosy.

It only needs one cancellation and it all goes to pot like last wednesday (9th)  after the fatality near Ealing.

(Edited to correct day of week)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 16:39:28 by IanL » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2014, 11:16:37 »

The 1732 halts train (if the booked Adelante) is never full off Oxford, anytime I've used it....assuming no delays. Any train during/immediately following a delay will be full, regardless
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2014, 12:32:52 »

Agreed with the 17:32 usually having a little space on board, even on Fridays, assuming no other delays.

Regarding delays, that's where having a couple of shuttle services from Oxford may help on occasions as if there is a problem with the through trains off of London as they won't get caught up in it.  Take last Wednesday for example when, due to a fatality, the 14:21 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was cancelled, and the 15:52 was about an hour late (and eventually turned into to the 'halts' train departing Oxford late at about 18:00).  A couple of shuttles and the passenger numbers that led to at least 30 taxis having to be used would have been largely solved.  The net result was no train from Oxford to Worcester for over five hours (and consequent cancellations back the other way).  In fact efforts were made to arrange a shuttle from Oxford to Moreton using a 180 that had arrived at 16:50 from Great Malvern, but despite crews and train in place (and plenty of passengers) control miles away in Swindon declined the request/plea from the Oxford staff - but that's another topic!  Lips sealed

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2014, 12:57:46 »

There are no extra paths in the peak along the Cotswold Line....
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2014, 16:55:48 »

There are no extra paths in the peak along the Cotswold Line....

Correct.  Though the odd tweak to the timetable here and there, and a loop at Hanborough, would release paths.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2014, 17:22:02 »

Sometimes one feels like they're at school, with some acting as schoolmasters.

Agreeing sounds preferable to being told (I know I am....) that one is correct.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2014, 10:48:09 »

Apologies if you misunderstood the tone of my reply, but I did 'agree' with you in my previous reply.  Sometimes I find black and white swingeing statements difficult to reply to though (especially when the context isn't necessarily clear) as the actual truth is often somewhere in the middle, and I will question you on topics where I do know more than you, such as the pathing on the Cotswold Line - by the same principles I very rarely get involved with posts on subjects such as ticketing as it is an area I know comparatively little about.

Whilst there are currently no extra paths in the peak along the Cotswold Line (the 'correct' in my reply), there's currently a 25 minute period when there are no trains on the single line between Wolvercote and Charlbury between 17:55 and 18:20, so here's a way of plugging that gap and creating an extra path without any extra infrastructure and still allowing a little resilience in the timetable:

• Timetable as now until the departure of the 17:32 from Oxford to Great Malvern which you replace with a 17:32 faster service, calling at Hanborough and Charlbury.  That clears the single line at Charlbury at 17:48.
  • You then run the halts train departing Oxford at 17:52 as far as Moreton-In-Marsh, which, calling at all stations clears the single line at 18:14 and reaches Moreton at 18:38ish.
  • The 18:17 to Hereford then departs as now entering the single line at 18:20 and running as now.

So, there's your grey area - whilst it's correct to say that there's no extra paths in the peak based on the current timetable, it's perfectly possible to create one if you restructure the timetable - which is exactly what will be happening in a couple of years.  The final timetable might not look anything like the example above of course, but it demonstrates that there is still scope for improvement.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2014, 11:36:22 »

I have no problem whatsoever with being questioned, or even informed that I am wrong (with an explanation of course), but telling anyone they are 'correct' belittles them. Please try & use 'agree', 'indeed, ....', or some such like)

There is an Oxford arrival from the south at 1751, blocking the down platform for some minutes...also serving DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains). Your suggestion won't work, and has been explored by the Cotswold Line P/Group (CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about)). We have a timetable expert, likely to better than even you, and I think I can safely say there are no useful things that can currently be done until the timetable is re-written for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.).

Oh, and it's the 1715 from DID, not the 1732 from Oxford, don't forget.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2014, 12:13:48 »

There is an Oxford arrival from the south at 1751, blocking the down platform
Which one? There are two (and three in extremis).
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2014, 12:16:43 »

I have no problem whatsoever with being questioned, or even informed that I am wrong (with an explanation of course), but telling anyone they are 'correct' belittles them. Please try & use 'agree', 'indeed, ....', or some such like)

There is an Oxford arrival from the south at 1751, blocking the down platform for some minutes...also serving DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains). Your suggestion won't work, and has been explored by the Cotswold Line P/Group (CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about)). We have a timetable expert, likely to better than even you, and I think I can safely say there are no useful things that can currently be done until the timetable is re-written for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.).

Oh, and it's the 1715 from DID, not the 1732 from Oxford, don't forget.

I think you misunderstand.  My posts on this matter have been about what could be achieved post-IEP timetables.  There's no chance of any major alterations until then - I think the last paragraph of my previous post to this topic makes that perfectly clear.

I will try not to belittle you, Chris.  Tempting though it often is.

Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2014, 17:18:40 »

The 1732 halts train (if the booked Adelante) is never full off Oxford, anytime I've used it....assuming no delays. Any train during/immediately following a delay will be full, regardless
Might be a bit cosier today - it's on JourneyCheck as being 2 coaches instead of 5.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2014, 17:27:29 »

Whilst there are currently no extra paths in the peak along the Cotswold Line (the 'correct' in my reply), there's currently a 25 minute period when there are no trains on the single line between Wolvercote and Charlbury between 17:55 and 18:20, so here's a way of plugging that gap and creating an extra path without any extra infrastructure and still allowing a little resilience in the timetable:

• Timetable as now until the departure of the 17:32 from Oxford to Great Malvern which you replace with a 17:32 faster service, calling at Hanborough and Charlbury.  That clears the single line at Charlbury at 17:48.
  • You then run the halts train departing Oxford at 17:52 as far as Moreton-In-Marsh, which, calling at all stations clears the single line at 18:14 and reaches Moreton at 18:38ish.
  • The 18:17 to Hereford then departs as now entering the single line at 18:20 and running as now.

So, there's your grey area - whilst it's correct to say that there's no extra paths in the peak based on the current timetable, it's perfectly possible to create one if you restructure the timetable - which is exactly what will be happening in a couple of years.  The final timetable might not look anything like the example above of course, but it demonstrates that there is still scope for improvement.

Having had a little think about the suggestion above, I'd probably make it a little more resilient by giving the 17:32 off of Oxford calls at Ascott and Shipton, and then a 17:52 could miss those out arriving Moreton around 18:34 - that would give it a little more of a buffer to reach Moreton well ahead of when the following 18:20ex Oxford reaches Ascott (at 18:39).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: