Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:40:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus discrimination case  (Read 50368 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 03:23:53 »

An update on the case, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

First said its drivers needed to know "what they are legally required to do". The case is expected to last three days at the Court of Appeal.

Having read back through the thread, listened to the news and reminded myself where I have heard of Doug Palley before, I await the outcome with interest and will probably comment, with great care, in the fullness of time.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 22:42:10 »

On my bus ride this morning, I was joined by two wheelchair users and a pushchair Shocked. The pushchair boarded first, and was parked in the wheelchair space. When the first wheelchair user boarded, the owner of the pushchair moved it into the cycle/pushchair space (not officially titled such, but I have seen it used for both purposes). When the second wheelchair user wanted to board, the driver had a word, mentioning how long it would be to the next bus etc. It appeared the second wheelchair user then agreed to use the pushchair/cycle space, so the pushchair owner had to come forward again to fold the pushchair and put it in the luggage rack. So the bus continued on its way with a wheelchair in both the wheelchair and cycle/pushchair spaces.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 07:21:48 »

Although the case is wheelchair and pushchair battling for 1 space
What happens if more wheelchair users want a service than the bus allows on a route that has perhaps a 2 hourly service for example?
Is their protocol in place so wheelchair doesn't have to wait 2 hours?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 07:58:42 »

I await with interest the outcome of the court case.   Has other news pushed this out of the papers, or is the case taking longer than expected?

Equality question - is there a protocol in place so that others don't have to wait 2 hours?  Grin Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 08:31:35 »

I'm sure Doug Paulley would have posted the result on his website or twitter account had it been published. Whilst I have a degree of sympathy with his case, from information freely in the public domain the volume of freedom of information requests that he makes (around 3 or 4 a month) tends to lessen my enthusiasm for his cause.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 10:38:31 »

Equality question - is there a protocol in place so that others don't have to wait 2 hours?  Grin Grin

Spot on - it is a question of pure equality. If the bus is full & am ambulant person has to await the next bus, then a wheelchair can be expected to do the same. Pushchairs however, even though a number of users think they do, do NOT give the owner any priority. Most if not all are somewhat cfollapsible, and the owner can be expected to do this without howls of protest.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 11:46:06 »

Spot on - it is a question of pure equality. If the bus is full & am ambulant person has to await the next bus, then a wheelchair can be expected to do the same. Pushchairs however, even though a number of users think they do, do NOT give the owner any priority. Most if not all are somewhat cfollapsible, and the owner can be expected to do this without howls of protest.

I think that's a reasonable stance to take as long as the pushchair is being used solely to transport cider back from the offie.

It's a bit less reasonable if the pushchair has an infant in it. Single-handedly extracting a non-ambulent child from a pushchair, securing the child (how?) and then folding the pushchair is not a task to be taken lightly, particularly if the bus driver decides that now would be a good time to see if their bus can out-drag a Bugatti Veyron.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 11:57:41 »

Agreed - but disability campaigners would soon put you right. The wheelchair user has no choice but to be using that in order to get around - the parent always has different choices
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 12:57:04 »

It's a bit less reasonable if the pushchair has an infant in it. ...

Agreed - but disability campaigners would soon put you right. The wheelchair user has no choice but to be using that in order to get around - the parent always has different choices

What is reasonable and what is the law aren't always the same.   Further "reasonable" differs in one person's view to another's, and "equality" is almost impossible to define when you start with inherently varied inputs.  There is a school of thought that suggests that a young person in a wheeled vehicle who is conveyed in that because (s)he cannot walk is every much as mobility disabled as a middle aged or old person in a wheeled vehicle for the same reasons.

The solution should be sense, understanding, and an ability of people to work together to sort these things out when problems arise.  And it usually is; we have a couple of friends who are wheelchair bound and almost always a word and a smile from the work wonders and people want to help.  Indeed, it probably works far better than demanding of a person in charge that (s)he clear people out of the way for you.

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 16:26:02 »

Both Go-Ahead (Oxford Bus) and Stagecoach, the main Oxfordshire buses, have very clear prominent notices informing pushchair owners that Wheelchair users have rights over pushchairs and pushchair users must vacate a wheelchair space if it is subsequently required for a wheelchair.
Oxford has a good proportion of wheelchair users and bus use forms a much higher proportion of transport than in many other areas. I have witnessed a wheelchair being refused entrance onto a bus because no wheel chair space was available and the bus probably also had a very high number of able-bodied standing regular travellers. The wheelchair user had to return to the shelter and await the next bus. Not so much a problem however in Oxford where bus frequency is every few minutes on the major routes into town.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 18:21:33 »

The pushchair we had when the girls were younger would take up more space folded than unfolded. The surface area when folded was larger than the area taken up by it unfolded.
We never took it on a bus though

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 21:33:58 »

Both Go-Ahead (Oxford Bus) and Stagecoach, the main Oxfordshire buses, have very clear prominent notices informing pushchair owners that Wheelchair users have rights over pushchairs and pushchair users must vacate a wheelchair space if it is subsequently required for a wheelchair.
Oxford has a good proportion of wheelchair users and bus use forms a much higher proportion of transport than in many other areas. I have witnessed a wheelchair being refused entrance onto a bus because no wheel chair space was available and the bus probably also had a very high number of able-bodied standing regular travellers. The wheelchair user had to return to the shelter and await the next bus. Not so much a problem however in Oxford where bus frequency is every few minutes on the major routes into town.

I would suppose that those already on the bus have the edge over those not yet in that favoured position, able bodied or otherwise. It is possible that someone may have got off the bus a stop early to make way for the wheelchair user, but equally possible that the strapper-hangers at the back would have been utterly unaware of the situation unfolding at the front door. As you say, less of a problem in somewhere with decent public transport than it is in Bristol.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 22:42:15 »

I was looking today at a maximum capacity sign on an optare solo.
It said 24 standing or 18 standing plus 1 wheelchair.

There was 21 standing passengers on the bus, so the driver can take 3 more standing passengers but can't take a wheelchair if my understanding is correct.

If he was to come to a stop with 3 passengers able to stand and a wheelchair user, can he take the 3 standing passengers and refuse the wheelchair?

Is that equality or would he have to refuse the passengers who could have stranded to treat all equally?

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 09:09:19 »

I was looking today at a maximum capacity sign on an optare solo.
It said 24 standing or 18 standing plus 1 wheelchair.

There was 21 standing passengers on the bus, so the driver can take 3 more standing passengers but can't take a wheelchair if my understanding is correct.

If he was to come to a stop with 3 passengers able to stand and a wheelchair user, can he take the 3 standing passengers and refuse the wheelchair?

Is that equality or would he have to refuse the passengers who could have stranded to treat all equally?
Good question. Pretty sure though that the stated wheelchair capacity would have been exceeded on my trip the other day with a second wheelchair in the bike/pushchair space (though I didn't check the maximum capacity sign).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 18:46:55 »

I was thinking of taking a lawn mower for service on the bus - not a sit-on model. I wondered how this might pan out...

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: