Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:52:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus discrimination case  (Read 50597 times)
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 22:48:15 »

I was thinking of taking a lawn mower for service on the bus - not a sit-on model. I wondered how this might pan out...

Another wonderfully cutting observation, FT,N.   Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 22:17:08 »

I was thinking of taking a lawn mower for service on the bus - not a sit-on model. I wondered how this might pan out...

Another wonderfully cutting observation, FT,N.   Grin

You can tell me by the way I walk...

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 10:19:00 »

First Bus won their appeal.....wheelchair has no right of precedence over a pushchair

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-30376446

Bus companies are not required by law to force parents with buggies to make way for wheelchair users in designated bays on vehicles, senior judges ruled.

First Bus appealed against a court ruling, won by a disabled man from West Yorkshire, that the firm's wheelchair policy was discriminatory.

Doug Paulley, 36, was denied access to a First bus to Leeds when a woman with a pushchair refused to move.

The court of Appeal overturned a judgement made at Leeds County Court

Wow.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 11:34:39 »

That article has now been expanded to include...

'Request not require'

Mr Paulley had attempted to board the bus in Wetherby to visit his parents in Leeds, in February 2012.

But, he was told to wait for another one when the woman with the pushchair refused to move because her baby was asleep.

First's policy was one of "requesting but not requiring" non-disabled travellers, including those with babies and pushchairs, to vacate space needed by a wheelchair user.

In September, the county court judge had said the firm's policy was in breach of the Equality Act 2010.

Mr Paulley was awarded ^5,500 damages.

'Occasionally prevented'

But earlier, judges at the Court of Appeal ruled the "proper remedy" for wheelchair users to get improvements in such cases was to ask parliament.

Lord Justice Lewison said: "The judge seems to me to have thought that the needs of wheelchair users trumped all other considerations.

"If that is what he meant, I respectfully disagree."

Lord Justice Underhill said: "It has to be accepted that our conclusion and reasoning in this case means that wheelchair users will occasionally be prevented by other passengers from using the wheelchair space on the bus.

"I do not, however, believe that the fact that some passengers will - albeit rarely - act selfishly and irresponsibly is a sufficient reason for imposing on bus companies a legal responsibility for a situation which is not of their making and which they are not in a position to prevent."
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 12:33:07 »

Another update today, First Bus have won their appeal case:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-30376446

Bus companies are not required by law to force parents with buggies to make way for wheelchair users in designated bays on vehicles, senior judges ruled.

First Bus appealed against a court ruling, won by a disabled man from West Yorkshire, that the firm's wheelchair policy was discriminatory.

Doug Paulley, 36, was denied access to a First bus to Leeds when a woman with a pushchair refused to move.

The Court of Appeal overturned a Leeds County Court judgement in his favour.

'Request not require'

Mr Paulley had attempted to board the bus in Wetherby to visit his parents in Leeds, in February 2012.

But, he was told to wait for another one when the woman with the pushchair refused to move because her baby was asleep.

First's policy was one of "requesting but not requiring" non-disabled travellers, including those with babies and pushchairs, to vacate space needed by a wheelchair user.

In September, the county court judge had said the firm's policy was in breach of the Equality Act 2010.

Mr Paulley was awarded ^5,500 damages.

'Occasionally prevented'

But earlier, judges at the Court of Appeal ruled the "proper remedy" for wheelchair users to get improvements in such cases was to ask parliament.

Lord Justice Lewison said: "The judge seems to me to have thought that the needs of wheelchair users trumped all other considerations.

"If that is what he meant, I respectfully disagree."

Lord Justice Underhill said: "It has to be accepted that our conclusion and reasoning in this case means that wheelchair users will occasionally be prevented by other passengers from using the wheelchair space on the bus.

"I do not, however, believe that the fact that some passengers will - albeit rarely - act selfishly and irresponsibly is a sufficient reason for imposing on bus companies a legal responsibility for a situation which is not of their making and which they are not in a position to prevent."
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 13:23:31 »

Yes, that's what I posted right above yours :-)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 14:12:48 »

Yes, that's what I posted right above yours :-)

Oops, user error, Monday morning...!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 14:13:56 »

Well - the judge said "some passengers will - albeit rarely - act selfishly and irresponsibly", so we may take it that the person with the buggy wasn't exactly being a shining example to others in her(?) actions.   And that (to me) means the whole case is something that really shouldn't have happened.

What is seems to have confirmed is that there IS equality between different groups ... (s)he who gets there first has precedence; no discrimination either way.   Wheelchair first, pram has to wait for next service. Pram first, wheelchair has to wait for next service.  Now - does that extend to cycles on units such as a 150 - cycles first, sorry - no wheelchair here.   Wheelchair first, sorry no cycles?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 14:29:36 »

Out of interest how would the ticketing arrangements work for someone who volunteered to leave the bus?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 15:00:38 »

What is seems to have confirmed is that there IS equality between different groups ... (s)he who gets there first has precedence; no discrimination either way.   Wheelchair first, pram has to wait for next service. Pram first, wheelchair has to wait for next service.  Now - does that extend to cycles on units such as a 150 - cycles first, sorry - no wheelchair here.   Wheelchair first, sorry no cycles?

If they are meant as dual-role spaces, then yes, I think you have it right - that any cycles can't be forced to move. If they are marked as purely wheelchair spaces, then it would need testing again in court, I suspect, as to whether the TOC (Train Operating Company) could be forced to remove said cycles....I suspect it would go the same way, even it were marked for wheelchairs only.

Out of interest how would the ticketing arrangements work for someone who volunteered to leave the bus?

Good question, and one that, in light of the decision, ought to be asked of First Bus....
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 15:19:10 »

I foresee the Law lords having to make a further distinction between a hand propelled wheelchair , a battery operated wheelchair and a mobility scooter.......
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 15:35:46 »

why? (serious Q)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2014, 16:57:59 »

So all the bus companies who changed their policy and put up signs because of the first ruling, will now have to take them all down and change policies again.  Then you'll get people 'who know their rights' because they don't know the appeal has been won and there still has been no definitive government ruling. 
This will probably ping-ping back and forth, very much like Sheffield pensioners' free train travel.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 17:01:41 »

I foresee the Law lords having to make a further distinction between a hand propelled wheelchair , a battery operated wheelchair and a mobility scooter.......

We don't have Law Lords any more. Also, like ChrisB I'm unsure what point you are making.

The case in question may go to the Supreme Court. We may see amendments to the Equality Act should that happen, regardless of how the Supreme Court rules.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 17:07:35 »

The bike space on a 150/1 is in a separate area to the wheelchair space. On a 150/2 its the same place. I would think that a human being would get precedence over a recreational piece of machinery.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: