Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:55:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[80] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[59] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[44] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[34] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[32] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warminster to Salisbury disused stations  (Read 27498 times)
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« on: September 27, 2013, 21:48:15 »

Hello all

couldn't see this discussed anywhere else, apologies if i missed it !

Just wondered if there is ever any discussion about reopening one of the stations on this stretch. It must be the longest stretch on the line without a halt.

Wylie would be a great strategic spot, right on the A36/A303 junctions, so car and bus connections would be good.

Any thoughts from you experts?

Cheers
TS
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 22:43:11 »

Hello all

couldn't see this discussed anywhere else, apologies if i missed it !

Just wondered if there is ever any discussion about reopening one of the stations on this stretch. It must be the longest stretch on the line without a halt.

Wylie would be a great strategic spot, right on the A36/A303 junctions, so car and bus connections would be good.

Any thoughts from you experts?

Cheers
TS

Hi ... and welcome to the forum.   Either here or "Campaigns"  are appropriate places.

I've just got home after a long journey (things to write up!) but to start you off, look at my suggestion of where we may be in 10 years time, I think it was, at
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5272.0

And I (and I expect others) will come back and comment further on both Wylye, and Wilton which was on the recent short list of 10 projects put forward for funding by the Local Transport Board for Swindon and Wiltshire.   It didn't make the 'cut' I'm afraid ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 01:04:14 »

Hmmm. Not entirely sure that one journey in each direction on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday only really counts as "good bus connections"...

Welcome to the forum anyway, though.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:00:26 »

There are many, many aspects to look at with a new station. 

What would the traffic be and how would it get to the station?   Where would they be going?  Who would pay for the station?  What trains would stop - if they're new services, where would they run and where would you get the trains, and if it was exisiting trains would the existing passenges be happy with the slow down? Would the traffic simply be abstrated from another station - needless dilution?  Would there be community support to make it a success? Would the line's infrastructure have the capacity for the stops / is it opeationally sound?   Could you really load the trains well, summer and winter, weekday and weekend, in both directions?

Amazingly (!) there are a few places/lines where the answer is "yes, I can answer that" to each of the facets, and that's not out of the question for Wylye Parkway, but would require considerable foresight!  Being on a stretch of line without another intermediate station isn't really a blessing - in fact it could be the reverse - "no local trains to stop, so no point in building you a station" has been a major problem elsewhere in Wiltshire. At the moment bus connection aren't going to make a huge difference, I'm afraid, quite apart from the fact that I would question buses as a significant justification at a station in the middle of the countryside with no target town as you have at Bodmin, Ashchurch and Tiverton.

The Westbury to Salisbury line is the southern end of the TransWilts.  And it's also the only section of the whole Portsmouth - Cardiff line which has less than a half hourly service.  You have Portsmouth - Southampton, Southampton - Salisbury, Westbury - Bristol and Bristol - Cardiff "all stations" trains running hourly, as well as the long distance trains, giving a two train an hour service.  However, you have a wide and wonderful (!) selection south from Westbury ... a couple of services a day to Salisbury, three to Waterloo, one to Brighton, and three to Southampton which would go through the site of Wylye. You also have 4 services from Westbury that turn back at Warminster.   There is a case for looking at this mix and asking if it's best suited for future needs, or whether a clockface service, hourly and 30 minute apart from the long distance train, would be a better use of the current resource.   And to that question you can add the question as to whether the two diesel units per hour that terminate from the east at Salisbury and sit there idle for a while might extend / link in to a tidied up set of services to / towards / via Westbury.  Some do already in a way - the Waterloo to Bristol route.

There's probably going to be quite a major shakeup to make timetable changes such as those, and it's not something for the 2 to 3 year management contract that we're expecting to see awarded in the next 2 weeks. Rather, it will come at the time of electification to Newbury from London and a recast of trains beyond there to and from the west.  As a example, the 11:11 Westbury to Southampton would probably become an anachronism.  The previous train from Westbury to Southampton is at present 11:01 (yes, just 10 minutes earlier!) and the only extra call that the 11:11 makes is at Dilton Marsh - on request, and that lead to the question "why".   The answer's a good one - the 11:11 provides a connection off the train from Plymouth that calls at Westbury at 11:05, and there's a signiicant flow from Cornwall, Plymouth, Exeter and Taunton to Southampton, Portsmouth, Warminster and Salisbury.  But ... at a retimetable of the main line, new times for West Country expresses at Westbury (hopefully clockface), and you can push back the 11:11 to 11:31.

You'll note I'm not really "on topic" on Wylye here; I'm talking enabling background.  And this background sorts out much else.   Chippenham to Salisbury.  Swindon to Southampton. Dilton Marsh (now a major residential area) communing just about anywhere.  Salisbury to Trowbridge. ... look back at the thread I refer to above, and you'll see me looking over the horizon and beyond current planning periods; long term vision.  There are other long term kites I could fly too - mere speculation at present though - one eye on the far future.   For coming years that's just one eye ... I concentrate on proper TransWilts, where the objective is "regain and retain" and it would be happy days if that "retain" was underpinned by other projects and developements sharing the same services for mutual benefit.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:46:53 »

Fascinating reply, Grahame, many thanks for that in depth response.
I'm just an interested onlooker really at present, but great to read some really informed thoughts about this.

I take your points. Re Wylye, I suppose I was thinking that it might be useful as it would potentially serve some of the former station  villages along the line. I accept that some of the business it took from say Heytesbury and Wilton would be abstracted from Warminster and Salisbury. however it might make a  regular service much more accessible from Amesbury, Shrewton, Mere and so on.
There might even be potential to tie into Stonehenge, and drive some new business, which with a Park and ride might provide a better (or at least more convenient link than the current Salisbury service.)

Anyway, all just idle speculation on my part.
Great to see the Transwilts plans come to fruition, lets hope the service thrives and expands further.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:56:25 »

Fascinating reply, Grahame, many thanks for that in depth response.

My pleasure - the question offered a really good opportunity to look at the wider issues of our southern section. 

In some ways Wiltshire is a single county - the council is always talking "Salisbury, Chippenham and Trowbridge" and there are firm economic and cultural links, but on the other hand the south of the plain section (Salisbury, Amesbury, Tidworth etc) look far more to the Southampton/Solent area as their economic area, whereas west and north Wilts look towards greater Bristol and Bath, and Royal Wootton Bassett, Cricklade, etc, look toward Swindon.  And that Warminster - Salisbury section is almost crossing the border;  I've seen it on borders in Europe - Dutch / {Belgian|German} border where trains run quite frequently up to places like Venlo and Roosendaal, but the international train to Monchengladbach or Antwerpen goes much less often.  From Kaldenkirchen (I recall), and from Essen (I'm sure), there are again many more trains.

Gosh - you've got me going again ... there is extra justification for bringing the Salisbury - Westbury leg up to twice an hour now that our LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) (future enterprise area) is SWLEP (Swindon and Wiltshire LEP) and indeed for the more local services that serve Dilton Marsh and other potential moderate to far future aspirations to carry on through to Swindon as part of that service from Westbury.

Great to see the Transwilts plans come to fruition, lets hope the service thrives and expands further.

Isn't it just!  Grin Grin Grin  ... you get some idea from the deep nature of what I've been writing (and what I have written is just an overview) of just how MUCH work has gone into all the TransWilts elements to make sure that it really will work well - as a line and as an engine for the economy too.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 06:26:59 »

I'm following up on an old thread head because I noted some "read" activity ... and just to add in a flag for Wilton.

http://transwilts.org/tw/news/91-wilton-parkway-station-survey-open

The desire to re-open a station at Wilton has been an ongoing transport objective for Wilton. There is no possibility of stopping the Exeter main line services at Wilton, but recent proposal has been put forward to put a station at the A36 Park & Ride site which is alongside the Salisbury to Westbury line.

A new First Great Western franchise continuing from 2015 to 2019 has revitalised the case for extending the TransWilts service from Westbury through Salisbury to Southampton Airport. TransWilts CIC (Community Interest Company ) (incorporates the Community Rail Partnership - see 'About Us' on our web site www.transwilts.org) are proposing an hourly diesel service between Southampton Airport and Swindon, calling at all the regional stations in between including a new station at Wilton. The service would use existing rolling stock from the SWT (South West Trains) Three Rivers CRP (Community Rail Partnership), and FGW (First Great Western) TransWilts and Stroud services. The proposal could provide a service by 2018. As well as a park and ride to Salisbury, the Wilton Station could provide a rail access to Stonehenge being 7 miles by shuttle bus from the visitor centre. The existing P&R (Park and Ride) facility would serve rail passengers to Salisbury.

The purpose of this survey is to consult widely on the potential demand for the service and understand the demographics of the potential rail passengers. Your participation is important and appreciated. Please participate irrespective of your support or potential as a passenger. If you are a current rail user it would help us if after completing this survey you would also complete our "Wiltshire Train Users Survey" which may be found on the home page of our web site www.transwilts.org

TransWilts CIC objectives include conducting surveys to enable us to provide informed opinions and priorities with stakeholders such as Network Rail, Department of Transport, Franchise Operators (e.g. FGW and SWT), Local Government and Local Enterprise Partnerships. We will publish overall results and compare annual trends, but we will not publish any personal information or data. We will not share your personal details with any third party or organisation. Views will not be attributable to an individual.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: