Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 18:15:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[78] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[34] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[32] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Today 27/12/2007  (Read 8558 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2007, 16:34:21 »

Well.. Having worked most of the night, and being allowed a couple of hours sleep.. I decided to get the (later than I planned) 11.37 Maidenhead to Paddington to work.. It was one of the few (hourly) fastish trains timetabled...

But it was cancelled.. I ended up on the 11.12 which was running very late, stopped everywhere and was, as expected in the circumstances, crammed full of people..

And all I wanted to do was get to work! I felt quite ill by the time I got to Paddington...

Oh, and despite the fact it was a quietish train day, we got dumped on platform 14 anyway.. why do they keep doing this? Those platforms should be for emergencies only... There were other empty platforms today. I didn't want a 5 minute walk with hundreds of other people just to get to Paddington when I was already late..

Thank you to the train driver for all his annoucements though.. and keeping us well informed..
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 16:44:05 »

Bear in mind there was a broken down train which threw the whole of Reading - Paddington into chaos (again)

I'm sure there was also a perfectly good reason why that platform was used   Smiley
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 19:21:24 »

I'm sure there was also a perfectly good reason why that platform was used   Smiley

Well if there is a good reason I'd like to hear it! I've lost count of the number of times over the past few years when I've been dumped in 13 or 14 at off-peak times whilst 9, 10, 11 & 12 were all completely empty. It happens time and time again!  Angry
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 19:26:19 »

Platforms 13 and 14 are only used by Turbo operated services.

Platform 12 is primarily for the Heathrow Connect except in peak when is sometimes used by Turbo operated services.

Platforms 1-5 and 8-11 can be used by Turbo and HST (High Speed Train)/Adelante

During times of disruption it is better to put a turbo on 13/14 so a HST can possibly use some of the other platforms.

Also the fact Platform 14 could have been the booked platform anyway, e.g. the train you came in on could have been going back out to Greenford?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 19:39:33 »

Well if there is a good reason I'd like to hear it! I've lost count of the number of times over the past few years when I've been dumped in 13 or 14 at off-peak times whilst 9, 10, 11 & 12 were all completely empty. It happens time and time again!  Angry

The driver has no control, I don't think Slough IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) are overly bothered that some punters have to walk further either.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 23:29:34 »

Platform 12 is primarily for the Heathrow Connect except in peak when is sometimes used by Turbo operated services.

During times of disruption it is better to put a turbo on 13/14 so a HST can possibly use some of the other platforms.

Also the fact Platform 14 could have been the booked platform anyway, e.g. the train you came in on could have been going back out to Greenford?

So even though FGW (First Great Western) tell us that local services are not less important than HST's... they are?

I could just about understand it if it was a busy rush hour, but it wasn't! Half the platforms were empty, and I am sure they stayed that way...  I am fed up with having an extra 5 minutes added to my (usually) delayed train by having to walk the rest of the way. I know of no other London mainline stations where two platforms are further away from the main station than leicester square tube is to covent garden tube.. As someone else on here said a while back, it's like another station. And should be treated as such!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 23:31:08 »

The driver has no control, I don't think Slough IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) are overly bothered that some punters have to walk further either.

Maybe the people in charge of putting trains on platform 13/14 (when there is no apparent good reason) should be made to do this journey every day then!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:44:30 »

So even though FGW (First Great Western) tell us that local services are not less important than HST's... they are?

I could just about understand it if it was a busy rush hour, but it wasn't! Half the platforms were empty, and I am sure they stayed that way...  I am fed up with having an extra 5 minutes added to my (usually) delayed train by having to walk the rest of the way. I know of no other London mainline stations where two platforms are further away from the main station than leicester square tube is to covent garden tube.. As someone else on here said a while back, it's like another station. And should be treated as such!

Its not FGW saying that.

Railways work by classing trains and by using headcodes.

A headcode is basically the identity of the train seen at the signal box and through various other railway systems.

A headcode is a 4 digit/letter code, 1A05 for example, in this case the 0640 Bristol - Paddington.

The first number is how important the train is. 1 stands for an express passenger train such as an HST. 2 would be a local surburban service such as the stopping turbo you are on. As a result your train is less important to the signal box and a class '1' train would get priority over a junction/platform.

The second letter in the headcode is the destination, 'A' referring to London, and the last two letters are the individual identity.

Hope that clears up why local commuter trains are often not given the same priority as high speed trains, regardless of FGWs view on it. At the end of the day Slough IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) (the signal box) make the decision as to which train goes in front of you, which platform etc etc
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:08:50 »

More on yesterday's events (link below.)
http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news_article.php?section=5&category=89&story=5208

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 11:17:52 »

Didn't think to mention that it WASN'T a FGW (First Great Western) train that broke down did they?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 12:27:49 »

A class 2 train is a "normal" passenger train whilst a class 1 is an "express" passenger or mail train, don't mean to be a smart arse but i'm bored.  Cheesy
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 12:37:42 »

Quote from: vacman
don't mean to be a smart arse but i'm bored.  Cheesy

Do you mind? That's my excuse!

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 12:39:10 »

Well it is Christmas  Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 18:20:09 »

Didn't think to mention that it WASN'T a FGW (First Great Western) train that broke down did they?

Well unless FGW were misquoted, they hadn't mentioned it wasn't one of their trains either.. I guess the Maidenhead advertiser were just reporting what they'd been told?

I quote from the article...
"A spokesman for the company said: "There were problems this morning with broken down services at Hayes and Harlington."

Usual lack of information then!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 20:15:50 »

Well unless FGW were misquoted, they hadn't mentioned it wasn't one of their trains either.. I guess the Maidenhead advertiser were just reporting what they'd been told?

I quote from the article...
"A spokesman for the company said: "There were problems this morning with broken down services at Hayes and Harlington."

Usual lack of information then!

All FGW had to do was say....

"A spokesman for the company said: "There were problems this morning with broken down XYZ services at Hayes and Harlington."

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: