I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:44:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: On This Day, 4 October 1976 - British Rail began its new 125mph High Speed Train (HST) service  (Read 24320 times)
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 10:30:33 »

I believe when Reading is finally completed, line speed through a few platforms will be raised to 100mph.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 12:12:07 »

I'm just catching up on this thread hence the late response to bobms and BNMs comments about cheese burgers and microwave ovens

I used to travel down from Banbury to Weston s mare at the weekend to meet up with the girl that was to be Mrs BB version 1 and I do remember treating myself to the aforementioned cheeseburger!

Suffice to say I remember the cheese burgers more favourably than V1 wife.

But thanks for the memories and the photo of the buffet
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 13:04:39 »

I believe when Reading is finally completed, line speed through a few platforms will be raised to 100mph.

The Corus Rail track layout diagram (that's been referred to a few times over the last couple of years) shows the up and down mains only (P9/10) as '60/100**'.  Other platforms vary, but with nothing faster than 60 mph.

The diagram key goes on to explain that this is a 60 mph PSR (Permanent Speed Restriction), with 100 mph capability being dependent on further signalling improvements.  The latter is possibly referring to the ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) (cab signalling) upgrade planned for later in the decade.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 13:09:45 by paul7755 » Logged
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 14:16:15 »

Thanks, I'm old enough to remember when HST (High Speed Train)'s used to come through at a fair rate of knots (although way below 125 I suspect). IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) it was usually on the line that used to run up the middle between platforms 7 and 8 (formerly known as 4 and 5).
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 16:10:53 »

I'm not sure about the through lines but I think the platform lines had an 80 limit.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 22:36:50 »

Hello! This is my first post in the Coffee Shop, so I hope I do it correctly!

The speed limits during the latter years of the age of steam, and for the first years of the diesel era, were 75mph on the Down Main through (old) Platform 4 and 80mph on the Up Main. Speed over the turnouts for the Up Main Platform Loop (old Platform 5) was limited to 25mph.

At some point in, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), the 80s as more and more trains stopped at Reading, the cant on the Down Main was reduced limiting the speed to 50mph; at the same the limit on the Up Main was reduced. I am not sure when this took place as I was living abroad at the time, but I'm sure somebody will know.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 22:38:16 »

Welcome to the forum 4064ReadingAbbey and thank you for an informative first post Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 23:36:39 »

The 40th Anniversary of the inaugural HST (High Speed Train) passenger run is this Tuesday, 4th October 2016.

Here's that BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West news report from 1976 again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySyFzWgLt_4

Now, do GWR (Great Western Railway) have anything planned for Tuesday? Perhaps with 43002 and 43185. Anyone know of anything?

I note that those two power cars are due to return from York to St Phillip's Marsh early on Monday morning:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R41180/2016/10/02/advanced

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 09:17:17 »

Did the buffet, from where you purchased your burger, look like this?

Now you are asking!  I remember the colour scheme and I remember the uniforms.  Didn't they experiment with draught beer from the buffet at one point?

Yes, I remember the draught beer in the buffet, a choice of Heineken and Whitbread Tankard IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly). And the card operated payphone. All rather revolutionary at the time.
Also a restaurant car AND a buffet, two catering vehicles.
And even in second class, the seating was all/virtually all facing with tables.
And two and a half first class coaches.

All of which would be totally unaffordable luxuries in a new train, despite the fact that as a nation we are now twice as wealthy as was the case then.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 10:50:11 »

Don't forget the smoking carriages where you could puff away on your pipe to your hearts content, and of course all carriages were mobile phone free back then...  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 11:17:20 »

.. and not forgetting getting locked in the toilet (the old GWR (Great Western Railway) design had 1 moving part, the original design on the HST (High Speed Train)’s had about 15), blowing back toilets (sitting on the loo going into Chipping Sodbury tunnel at 125 mph could be quite an experience), vestibules awash from water leaks from the evaporator tray, no air conditioning because of the wrong type of brushes in the fan motor, cracked axle boxes .. still, it all helped keep me in a job at the time!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2016, 11:51:39 »

The most memorable thing surely was the smell as soon as the brakes were applied.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2016, 12:39:33 »

All of which would be totally unaffordable luxuries in a new train, despite the fact that as a nation we are now twice as wealthy as was the case then.

Ah yes like so many  things in our society today as J K Galbraith said of the USA in Affluent Society (1958):

In a community where public services have failed to keep abreast of private consumption things are very different. Here, in an atmosphere of private opulence and public squalor, the private goods have full sway.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2016, 14:40:46 »

More to the point is that the train was only one quarter loaded - and one of the other slightly later BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) reports on the HST (High Speed Train) remarks on what changes have needed to be made such as lowering fares as it was losing BR (British Rail(ways)) hundreds of millions of pounds in operation.

I too can easily remember the days when if you had anyone else sitting at the same table of four on an HST you might think the train was crowded. Whether this was really an efficient use of either public or natural resources at that time is another matter. Whatever, it was certainly a different age for train travel.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2016, 14:59:35 »

Yes, one of the quietest trains of the day now would probably equate to the same number that used the average off-peak service back then.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: