Opening of Sapperton Canal Tunnel

Train RunningDelayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:02:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[282] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[233] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[48] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[42] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[20] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[19] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A new minister - candidate profile and job role  (Read 29190 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 07, 2013, 12:54:16 »

I may be a bit late on this.   Never mind, I'm sure there will be another change in the not too distant future  Cry

Dear David, Ed, Nick and Nigel,

Rail transport infrastructure and operation is planned in decades - and yet transport ministers come and go on an annual basis, and governments work in five year cycles where they need a positve outcome and sentiment at the end of each cycle.   However, such medium term outcome needs are often inefficient and will lead in the long term to a less than optimum network for passengers, for the taxpayer, for business and the economy, for the staff and for the companies financing, maintaing and operating the network and its facilities and services.

Here are some of the issues, some of which you'll already be painfully aware of:

* Rolling electrification
* 24 x 7 services and leveling out the peaks
* A fair and understandable basis for fares
* Balancing speed and capacity, local, regional and long distance travel
* An end to costly accounting such as blame attribution
* Journey and ticket integration and information, including other transport modes
* The challenges of rising fuel costs and reducing CO2
* Rebuilding a Victorian Architecture for the reign of King Charles and even King George
* Involving passengers and the wider community in ownership and pride in the railways
* Making long use of exisitng and future trains
* Protecting revenue economically and without intimidation of honest customers
* Balancing high capacity and high comfort and facilites in trains, and luggage, wheelchairs and cycles too.

By appointing a crossbench member of the House of Lords to the role of rail minister, currently vacant and with agreement between the major parties to leave that person in place even through to a new parliament, whichever of you leads the government, you could elevate the position above politics and provide a very real chance to do provide a solid start for the long term.

A candidate for the role? Most people who work in the rail industry are excellent and dedicated - you might consider one of them; you'll certainly need someone who respects them and is respected by (or would grow to be respected by) them.  Someone who's not afraid to point out bad news as well as good, and explain it thoroughly and understandably. Someone with the vision of a strategy, and with the ability to update tactics to reach the ultimate goals.  I didn't, as I wrote this, have any one specific candidate in mind; it's possible that the person selected would need to be elevated to the Lords.

Please - be brave, and appoint a long term minister to help achieve what are common goals across the political spectrum - an efficient rail transport system that's fair, modern, good for business, good for the taxpayer, and good for passengers and staff

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 14:41:46 »

Replacing Simon Burns is Baroness (Susan) Kramer

Norman Baker also gone (to the Home Office) - no replacement yet announced
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 16:42:41 »

The new make-up at the Department for Transport is:

Secretary of State: Patrick McCloughlin (Con). Unchanged.
Minister of State: Baroness Susan Kramer (LibDem). Replacing Simon Burns (Con) who intends to run for Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State: Robert Goodwill (Con). Replacing Norman Baker (LibDem) who moves to the Home Office and is promoted to Minister of State.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State: Stephen Hammond (Con). Unchanged.

On the opposition benches, Labour have appointed Mary Creagh as Shadow Secretary of State for Transport, a straight swap with Maria Eagle who moves to Shadow Secretary of State for the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 19:21:48 »

Kramer looks like an interesting choice - with her interests in infrastructure and finance, I imagine she'll be part of the effort to beef up the case for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) - though I get the feeling she's unlikely to be entirely uncritical, which is probably no bad thing...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 19:34:04 »

Kramer looks like an interesting choice - with her interests in infrastructure and finance, I imagine she'll be part of the effort to beef up the case for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) - though I get the feeling she's unlikely to be entirely uncritical, which is probably no bad thing...

Indeed ... I wrote my letter at the top before the names were announced and - well - who knows?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 19:51:46 »

Susan Kramer has some form as well. She shadowed transport on two occasions for the LibDem front bench team between 2007-2009.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) however really should remove the revolving door at Great Minster House.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 20:16:00 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news reports that it is Robert Goodwill who is Transport No 2, replacing Simon Burns with special emphasis for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). I see he owns a steam lorry..or do they mean Elizabeth the steam bus ?

Not to be confused with the steam bus, Susan Kramer seems to be the new No 3 as she is described as the Junior Transport minister, replacing 'Stormin' Norman Baker...

Stephen Hammond remains bottom of the pile.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 20:50:21 »

Whereas No10 via gov.uk reports that Susan Kramer is No 2 at the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and Robert Goodwill is a Parliamentary Under Secretary. That's where I got my information for my earlier post.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ministerial-appointments-7-october-2013

Who's right?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:34:35 »

Robert Goodwill definitely has the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) portfolio.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 13:35:49 »

If the anti HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) lobby get after the new minister ..will it be Goodwill Hunting.

And if the noble Susan  has a conflict of interests.. will it be Kramer v Kramer ?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 19:02:49 »

Ladies and Gentleman, chuffed is here all week. Try the chicken in a basket.  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 09:58:11 »

Seems all sorted now. The noble Baroness is the Minister of State and responsible for Phase 2 of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and the luckless Goodwill is the Parliamentary under secretary dogsbody with responsibility for Phase 1 of HS2.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 14:55:33 »

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) however really should remove the revolving door at Great Minster House.

Still there (physically) ... it was the venue for the ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) briefing last week - a very informative day for Lee and me which has great benefits on helping us forward with supporting the TransWilts train service.   You will already have seen some reports posted that benefit from the day, and no doubt there are more to come  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: