I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:05:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus services in Cornwall - route and operator changes - First Bus, Plymouth Citybus, Western Greyhound  (Read 36105 times)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 07:24:33 »

..by someone freezing his wosits off, being stood at a bus stop since 06.30!!!

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 08:48:46 »

Damn it someone beat me to it!!

These things happen ... I have merged the two topics for ease of discussion ... and thank you BOTH for starting the thread.

Sympathy to the drivers if it's as reported - never a nice thing (I have been made redundant twice in my career - never nice, but it can turn out to be a cloud with a silver lining - hopefully so in this case)

And - thinking of the passengers - surely there has to be a better way of things happening than leaving customers stranded at the roadside!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 11:12:13 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Western Greyhound bus firm ceases trading, employees say

About 40 employees arrived at Western Greyhound's Summercourt depot to be told the news

One of the main bus service providers in Cornwall is believed to have ceased trading, employees have told BBC News.

About 40 Western Greyhound employees arrived at its Summercourt depot on Friday morning to be told the news, said driver Paul Wills.

Western Greyhound has been operating buses in Cornwall since 1998.

Rival operator First Kernow told BBC Radio Cornwall it would accept all Western Greyhound tickets on its bus services over the next few weeks.

Employee Mr Wills, who received a letter from Western Greyhound, said: "The letter says there is a shortfall of cash to pay for the insurance of the vehicles and we cannot continue to trade. We're all being made redundant.

"I was speaking to the manager earlier and he is naturally very upset. It's the end of the road for Western Greyhound.

"The pay has not gone into the bank today but we've been assured it will. There will now be up to 100 people looking for work."

Many people took to social media to vent their anger at not being able to get to work or college.

BBC Radio Cornwall's Michael Clarke, who is at the depot, said: "There have been hugs and goodbyes by employees and they've been told to go home. Some people are angry and others are in shock."

Stephen Gilbert, Liberal Democrat MP (Member of Parliament) for St Austell and Newquay, tweeted: "Western Greyhound ceasing trading is a blow to staff and to the thousands who depend on local bus routes. Urgent need to restore services."

In a statement, First Kernow said: "Following the cessation of Western Greyhound services, First Kernow this morning confirmed that it will accept all Western Greyhound tickets and passes on all its services."

Alex Carter, managing director, said: "We are working with our Cornwall Council partners to provide replacement services as soon as possible."

Western Greyhound, which was taken over in December by new management, is yet to comment.

Western Greyhound has been operating buses in Cornwall since 1998

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 14:46:03 »

From listening to Radio Cornwall, Cornwall Council were informed this was on the cards 24 hours before the public non-announcement, but they couldn't say anything as it was only a possibility!
The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) saying they met with Western Greyhound 24 hours ago, and were told nothing.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 16:05:04 »

Probably commercial reasons for withholding the information - I would assume they were probably in negotiations with their existing insurer (according to the quote on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) article), or an alternative provider, in a last ditch attempt to secure credit, which it appears was unsuccessful.

Either way, not very helpful for those poor sods waiting at bus stops or those arriving for a days work, but I can understand the the logic behind not wanting to worry its other creditors without good reason.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 17:13:40 »

This is a real shame.  I was impressed with Western Greyhound on the occasions I used them.  I found them cheaper and more reliable than First and coming from Bath I have to say it was nice to travel on a Bus that wasn't painted white, pink and purple.

100 Jobs is quite a lot for Cornwall.  I hope many of the drives can continue to drive buses.
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 18:07:43 »

..by someone freezing his wosits off, being stood at a bus stop since 06.30!!!
oh sorry you think they would give notice!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 18:28:27 »

I only did a Ride Cornwall on Tuesday taking in a number of WG routes. I honestly thought a corner had turned as a large number of odd coloured buses have been repainted recently, with private registrations applied. Everything ran on time.
The only stand out was a lack of uniform for most of the drivers.

There were representatives of First at summercourt this morning, assisting with matters and available to speak with drivers.

Cornwall Council have published a statement that they have managed to secure alternative serviced with effect from Monday subject to traffic commissioner approval.

I assume the council mean First, as First have purchased 10 vehicles from Western Greyhound, and also are having a further 8 transferred in from other First operations around the country due to arrive at Camborne over the weekend.

3 WG Darts and 3 WG Solos were at Camborne depot this afternoon.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 18:33:43 »

Just seen on a generic Cornwall bus Facebook page

Services 584 and 595 based at Wadebridge will be operated from Monday 16 March 2015 by Stagecoach South West

Services 555 bodmin parkway to Padstow together with the 593 renumbered 75 between bodmin and liskeard will be operated by Plymouth citybus operation go Cornwall.

Most other routes will be run by first kernow

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2015, 18:42:56 »

Full list of replacement services

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/public-transport/western-greyhound-buses/

old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 20:43:29 »

..I'd be grateful for anything that stops me having to get up at 04.15 on Monday morning and walk 6 miles to catch a train!!

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 20:48:54 »

..I'd be grateful for anything that stops me having to get up at 04.15 on Monday morning and walk 6 miles to catch a train!!

The council were trying for as close as possible to the existing timetable.
The only route that wont continue is Newquay to Bodmin.
Not knowing where you are I don't know what options you have as yet to walking other than a pushbike.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2015, 22:54:56 »

From listening to Radio Cornwall, Cornwall Council were informed this was on the cards 24 hours before the public non-announcement, but they couldn't say anything as it was only a possibility!
The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) saying they met with Western Greyhound 24 hours ago, and were told nothing.

A phone call from the bank can be the difference between life and death for a small company. Possibility can become reality in a heartbeat. This could have gone the other way, which would be why the RMT were told nothing, but it didn't.

It does sound as though a new provision has been worked up very quickly, and that there will be jobs with First for many of the staff, which could be the silver lining grahame alluded to.

(This is not to belittle the real impact of unwanted redundancy on real peoples' lives - at the start of the now fading recession, I was detailed to give talks on law and benefits to groups of soon-to-be-redundant workers, and saw their reaction at first hand. Mrs FT,N!, however, has been made repugnant twice. She had to beg for the second. Both events were undisguised blessings, as being made redundant just before you were about to hand in your notice will always be.)

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2015, 23:34:33 »

Very sad news about Western Greyhound.  Shocked

Purely in the interests of gathering the full story together, and for ease of future reference, I've now merged a couple more topics into this one.

My best wishes to all Western Greyhound staff.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2015, 23:41:54 »

A phone call from the bank can be the difference between life and death for a small company. Possibility can become reality in a heartbeat. This could have gone the other way, which would be why the RMT were told nothing, but it didn't.

It does sound as though a new provision has been worked up very quickly, and that there will be jobs with First for many of the staff, which could be the silver lining grahame alluded to.

(This is not to belittle the real impact of unwanted redundancy on real peoples' lives - at the start of the now fading recession, I was detailed to give talks on law and benefits to groups of soon-to-be-redundant workers, and saw their reaction at first hand. Mrs FT,N!, however, has been made repugnant twice. She had to beg for the second. Both events were undisguised blessings, as being made redunndant just before you were about to hand in your notice will always be.)

The quick provision by the council was a case of putting an existing plan into place. This eventuality was planned for at the council with other operators some time last year when WG were under the previous owner, so the council had a fairly robust back up plan already drawn up after the previous owner went public in his sale or close in November.
The directors had reportedly warned the council earlier this week of the potential situation so wasn't a big shock to the council by any means.
Several drivers interviews for the media said it wasn't a surprise, suggesting things weren't all good on the inside.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: