Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:52:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus services in Cornwall - route and operator changes - First Bus, Plymouth Citybus, Western Greyhound  (Read 36102 times)
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2015, 07:53:46 »

Seems to me that Cornwall Council have done a commendable job in swiftly sorting replacement operators, plus those operators stepping in. I do appreciate there is a commercial angle here, but hey, that's what competition is supposed to be all about!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2015, 11:06:57 »

It would not surprise me to find that First and the other companies had worked out staffing levels and timetables in anticipation of this event. As most of the services are going to continue, it is to be hoped that most of the staff will be hired to run them.

The impact on the travelling public will hopefully be minimal. In rural Cornwall, the situation is greatly different to that in urban Bristol. Were ABus, for example, to cease running the 349 Keynsham to Bristol service, the result would be minor inconvenience. Stopping the only service between a distant village and a centre of employment is a potential calamity.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2015, 16:38:40 »

It would not surprise me to find that First and the other companies had worked out staffing levels and timetables in anticipation of this event. As most of the services are going to continue, it is to be hoped that most of the staff will be hired to run them.

The impact on the travelling public will hopefully be minimal. In rural Cornwall, the situation is greatly different to that in urban Bristol. Were ABus, for example, to cease running the 349 Keynsham to Bristol service, the result would be minor inconvenience. Stopping the only service between a distant village and a centre of employment is a potential calamity.

On several routes Truro-Newquay, St Austell to Newquay, St Austell to Bodmin, Truro to St Austell, and Mevagissey to Fowey via St Austell the two operators were competing so will not be a full need for the same level of vehicles or drivers.

First Kernow have obtained 18 new buses over this weekend, 10 from WG via Ensign - Ensign purchased from WG, and have leased them immediately to First Kernow. There are also a number of buses due in from Somerset/Avon and other operations around the country.
The 10 WG buses have now got First branding, some are at Camborne the rest Penzance.
WG and First have been cooperating with each other to ensure a smooth start for First.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2015, 19:38:51 »

Bus spotting isn't really my bag, but here's a pic of a hastily re-badged former WG Optare Solo in Newquay this afternoon.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2015, 19:56:11 »

Bus spotting isn't really my bag, but here's a pic of a hastily re-badged former WG Optare Solo in Newquay this afternoon.

For someone who does like bus spotting, Wadebridge seems the place to go, First, GoAhead and Stagecoach. And to think 6 months ago First was the only national operator in Cornwall

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2015, 11:09:38 »

WG reportedly sold a number of buses to Ensign a week before they ceased, and then hired them back. First have now taken 10 of those on hire - 5 Darts and 5 Solos.

First have also drafted in buses from all over the UK (United Kingdom) to ensure they can cover all their routes, although there was a couple of cancelations one day this week due to First not having enough vehicles to cover.
At least one of those buses that First took from WG reportedly turned up at Camborne with no MOT or Tax despite having been in operation with WG until the end, also a number of WG drivers have commented elsewhere on the internet that they didn't get back to the depot until 1am, despite the owners saying the insurance ran out at midnight.
Bishop and Smith should be familiar with public enquiries after this week.
Buses Etc had a public enquiry last week for which the blame was put on them for undermining tactics whilst they were at buses Etc.
This week WG and Velvet are both up for a public enquiry.
A director check shows of 7 bus companies that Bishop has been a director for, Buses Etc are the only one not to have gone bust.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2015, 16:34:36 »

......are there really "Bus spotters"?  Huh

Clearly I need to get out more!  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2015, 16:44:35 »

Yes, there are ... but buses don't seem to generate the same spirit that trains do, so you'll find great support for community rail, but much harder to get support for community bus.  Sad, really - because there's real scope for people to take a loving interest in some of the harder-to-fill services.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2015, 18:54:05 »

There must be many bus enthgeusiats around if not bus spotters because the Oxford Bus Museum seems to be getting ever bigger visitor numbers.
Should anyone reading this be interested it can be a fascination rail day out because the Oxford Bus Museum is located at Hanborough Rail Station yard, just a two minute walk from the platform Over 30 buses, mostly from Oxon operators but also the Morris Mottors Museum along side  More details at http://www.oxfordbusmuseum.org.uk/#
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2015, 20:15:29 »

Clearly I need to get out more!  Grin

Flickr has a huge bus community.

Classic bus running days seem very popular events as well.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2015, 20:44:17 »

Yep ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chilebuss/8011005738/in/pool-1055511@N25/

The Warminster one coincided with our passenger count last October ... never seen so many buses at Westbury Station, nor such busy buses!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2015, 22:00:01 »

Yep ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chilebuss/8011005738/in/pool-1055511@N25/

The Warminster one coincided with our passenger count last October ... never seen so many buses at Westbury Station, nor such busy buses!

Penzance running day is always a good day. Free bus trips round to lands end, St Ives, mousehole amongst others. Very scenic and as all free makes for a great day out, sightseeing even if you don't like the buses.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2021, 08:07:32 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Western Greyhound bus firm ceases trading, employees say

One of the main bus service providers in Cornwall is believed to have ceased trading, employees have told BBC News.

About 40 Western Greyhound employees arrived at its Summercourt depot on Friday morning to be told the news, said driver Paul Wills.

Employee Mr Wills, who received a letter from Western Greyhound, said: "The letter says there is a shortfall of cash to pay for the insurance of the vehicles and we cannot continue to trade. We're all being made redundant.

"I was speaking to the manager earlier and he is naturally very upset. It's the end of the road for Western Greyhound.

"The pay has not gone into the bank today but we've been assured it will. There will now be up to 100 people looking for work."

Many people took to social media to vent their anger at not being able to get to work or college.

BBC Radio Cornwall's Michael Clarke, who is at the depot, said: "There have been hugs and goodbyes by employees and they've been told to go home. Some people are angry and others are in shock."

From Plymouth Live

Drivers paid six years after Western Greyhound bus firm went bust

Drivers and other creditors owed cash when Cornish bus company Western Greyhound Ltd went bust have finally been paid - more than six years later.

The Newquay-based firm ceased trading and went into administration in early 2015, with liquidators appointed a year later.

But South Coast-based insolvency practice Portland Business Recovery found “unexpected issues” when it took over proceedings.

These included a wrangle with a secured creditor over how much it would be paid and claims by former employees, mostly drivers, owed cash.

Portland Business Recovery has therefore only just been able to conclude the liquidation of Western Greyhound Ltd.

The consultancy said that although the sale of Western Greyhound’s assets was relatively straightforward, sorting out the claims proved more problematic.

Lengthy negotiations took place with the secured creditor regarding the level of settlement to be paid from the sale of the freehold of the firm’s Summercourt depot.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2021, 09:00:14 »

Shocking ! never trust an employer.

I have twice worked for employers that have gone bust, owing me money. In one case I got some of the money, several years later.
In the other case, they decided to pay up after threats were made. (it was a "new" company but with the same directors and and same offices. The "new" company denied any liability for wages owed by the "old" company. they had a change of policy after threats were made)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: