Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:38:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinnor to Risborough ... a Marylebone future?  (Read 11779 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 09, 2013, 14:05:49 »

Trains have run between Chinnor and Princes Risborough for the first time in 57 years as part of a special three-week initiative.

http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/more-news/trains-return-to-chinnor-after-57-year-delay-1-5565321

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 14:25:26 »

165 Turbo last Saturday - the 121 bubble car the next two.

0935 from Aylesbury....details on the Chinnor Railway website
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 17:04:09 »

I will be  at Chinnor this saturday. Just look out for some lads in a red Vauxhall corsa
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 10:17:52 »

Wonder whether there's ever likely to be a regular (peak?) TOC (Train Operating Company) service from Chinor to Marylebone.

Also thought the same about Bewdley to Birmingham service using the SVR and the grand daddy of them all the West Somerset from Bishops Lydyard to Tauton.

You have to have two signalling systems to lock the line from the Network Rail centre so you don't have to get volunteers to open the line if it's regular service.

There is precedent the NYMR (North Yorkshire Moors Railway) runs to Battersby and Whitby on Network Rail.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 10:36:36 »

Chiltern certainly looked at that in conjunction with the Oxford service - that is the way they originally wanted to go. But turned it down on costs. Suspect the same, with little or no extra farebox simply from Chinnor.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 14:08:13 »

Enjoyed my trip yesterday to Chinnor, well except for the drive along part of the  Oxford ringroad.

The railway was certainly pulling in the crowds yesterday however the platform at Chinnor didnt seem to manage too well with teh high numbers of people. Credit to all the volunteers who pulled out all the stops to make sure everyone had at least 1 ride on 121020 between Chinnor and Princess Risborough.  This railway is certainly one which could benefit from a direct mainline connection.

Anyway here is a photo of 121020 at Chinnor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13416874@N03/10245350284/

After speaking to someone who was at the railway last weekend who was telling me about the fun 165001 had with the platform at Chinnor it does show that tthese units can manage with some tight platform edges.  It shows that these units shouldn't have too much trouble with the curve at Melksham station.

This photo posted on Flickr shows how tight the platform at Chinnor is and you can see the steps of 165001 overhanging the platform:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lereddog/10115265584/in/faves-13416874@N03/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 14:27:19 by anthony215 » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 15:20:00 »

After speaking to someone who was at the railway last weekend who was telling me about the fun 165001 had with the platform at Chinnor it does show that tthese units can manage with some tight platform edges.  It shows that these units shouldn't have too much trouble with the curve at Melksham station.

There always seems to be a chasm between the platform and train at Melksham, so I don't think that a 165 or 166 would have a problem Wink ... however, down the line at Trowbridge I know there are concerns.  I believe that 165 / 166s have on one occasion - in extremis - been taken through there northbound, probably at very low speed indeed. There's said to be an issue with limited clearance at Avoncliff and Dundas too, so they may well have got up to the main Bristol line via the TransWilts.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 15:28:20 »

Well get up early on the day after Boxing Day.  Three sets joined together will be passing through Melksham and Trowbridge in the early hours to run the shuttle service between Bedwyn and Theale.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V52671/2013/12/27/advanced
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:45:15 »

There always seems to be a chasm between the platform and train at Melksham, so I don't think that a 165 or 166 would have a problem Wink ... however, down the line at Trowbridge I know there are concerns.  I believe that 165 / 166s have on one occasion - in extremis - been taken through there northbound, probably at very low speed indeed. There's said to be an issue with limited clearance at Avoncliff and Dundas too, so they may well have got up to the main Bristol line via the TransWilts.

Well I suppose something could be done with the steps on the class 165/166 fleet. Parts of the GW (Great Western) will be getting clearance work done for  the Hitachi class 800/801 set's which should help things
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 01:01:20 »

Well I suppose something could be done with the steps on the class 165/166 fleet. Parts of the GW (Great Western) will be getting clearance work done for  the Hitachi class 800/801 set's which should help things
Network Rail's plans for Control Period 5 include clearance of the class 165/166 fleet for these routes:

 Core routes:
o Cardiff - Bristol - Exeter ^ Penzance (including Weston-super-Mare)
o Bristol to Portsmouth
o Westbury to Weymouth
o Bristol to Worcester (including Gloucester)
o Bristol to Severn Beach
o Swindon to Gloucester
o Swindon to Westbury

 Diversionary routes
o Bristol to Parkway via Avonmouth
o Castle Cary to Exeter
o Castle Cary to Exeter via Yeovil
o Romsey to Fareham via Eastleigh
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:18:07 »

Interesting report from Sussex about turbos being used to provide extra seats down the Uckfield line
http://www.thisissussex.co.uk/Network-Rail-confirms-plans-lengthen-trains/story-19918598-detail/story.html#!#ixzz2hmSDeRYs

The news was announced by MP (Member of Parliament) Sir John Stanley, whose Edenbridge constituency is also served by the line.

He has been campaigning for improved services for years with the Edenbridge and District Rail Travellers' Association.

Sir John said: "In the most recent letter I have received from the chief executive of Network Rail, David Higgins, he has assured me that in the 2014-19 period the Uckfield line trains will be lengthened using rolling stock displaced by the Great Western Electrification Scheme and a number of station platforms may be extended accordingly."

Dave Higgins ought to know that NR» (Network Rail - home page) don't specify stock allocations....
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:11 »

Dave Higgins ought to know that NR» (Network Rail - home page) don't specify stock allocations....

No, but they obviously do get the inside story from DfT» (Department for Transport - about).  As an example, it was NR's CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) enhancement plans that first mentioned that SWT (South West Trains) would be running 10 car trains formed of 455+455+456 about 12 months before the cascade of the 456s from SN to SWT was ever 'made public'.   (This is on the main suburban routes via Wimbledon.)

I think the issue of 165/166 'gauging alterations' is much exaggerated.  As I pointed out a couple of years back, they were gauge cleared between Guildford and Basingstoke via Woking, and between Redhill and Selhurst depot, as part of the run up towards the Christmas 2010 Reading closure.  There is no evidence that this was anything more than a paperwork exercise, they certainly weren't physically altering platforms everywhere.  Both routes cleared are built to pretty typical Southern region standards, so the Uckfield line is probably similar.

Paul
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 11:10:22 »

You want to bet it will be Turbos specifically? After all, Sprinters will also be displaced from the Great Western electrification scheme (due to cascading of Turbos to the West)! Although I have to say I don't think running Sprinters on the Uckfield line is a good idea, perhaps it might be OK on the Marshlink route.

Southern currently use six 4-car class 171 units and ten 2-car class 171 units for their diesel operations. Unless there is a fleet swap somewhere else I'm not sure if it is a wise move to have not one, but two, small train fleets in operation.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 11:19:18 »

Agreed.

I can't see the burghers of Uckfield liking the Sprinters either!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 19:22:34 »

How about some refurbished class 143 pacers  Grin

That would really cause them to kick off in fact I can just imagine them having nightmares after reading this post
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: