Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:43:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[234] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[36] Cornish delays
[34] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[19] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to 0845/0870 Numbers  (Read 53208 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2013, 17:30:39 »

** This discussion has been split away from a thread on the new FGW (First Great Western) Customer Charter which included a change to their customer service number from 08457 000 125 to 03457 000 125 **
Original thread is here - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13049.0

It seems 0845 numbers are moving to the 0345 prefix and will then fall within inclusive packages offered by telephone companies.  For those with long memories, you may remember these types of numbers used to be 0345 and then moved over to 0845 in 2001 - so it is going back from where it came!

It seems not all phone companies, including mine, have opened up their systems to the change yet.

By June next year all 084 and 087 numbers for customer service, complaints, renewals and cancellations must move to an 0345 number.

You learn something new every day...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:52:07 by bobm » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 18:25:29 »

By June next year all 084 and 087 numbers for customer service, complaints, renewals and cancellations must move to an 0345 number.

What is the source of this? I know of at least one company that has just moved from 0800 to 0845, giving the reason 0845 is cheaper from the majority of mobile providers than 0800.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 20:20:42 »

What is the source of this? I know of at least one company that has just moved from 0800 to 0845, giving the reason 0845 is cheaper from the majority of mobile providers than 0800.

I have an 0845 number and my provider told me. They are in the process of updating their literature but they pointed me to this on Wikipedia.

In December 2013, the enactment of the Consumer Rights Directive will begin to force companies currently using 084 and 087 numbers for customer service, complaints, renewals and cancellations to change their number. Users of 084 and 087 numbers can move to the equivalent 034 or 037 number or to a new 01, 02, 030, 033 or 080 number. The deadline for compliance is June 2014. The Directive states that "callers must not pay more than the basic rate". This will restore one of the original rationales for NGNs - callers not being financially disadvantaged by calling NGNs compared to the cost of calling geographic numbers.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 21:05:53 »

It also means the end of revenue sharing from such Customer Service numbers, whereby the company receiving the call could (depending on the exact 084x or 087x number) take a cut of the call cost from every call to them.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:39:41 »

Exactly the opposite actually.

0845 has always been revenue-sharing - it was never changed by OFCOM. BT are taking the 2p.min hit on this when included in inclusive contracts. When 0870 went to non-revenue sharing, 0845 was going to follow suit. But Ofcom changed their mind. Now 0870 is reverting again, likely to be 10p/min. Opinion is that 0870 and 0845 will be removed from call-inclusive contracts after the migration to 03xx numbers is complete next June.

Only problem is that Transport is excluded from the EU» (European Union - about) Directive & we wait to see if the Government also exclude Transport when they enact the legislation.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 17:40:39 »

A few years ago now, my previous employer operated our helpline on an 0345 number: that was charged to any landline caller as a local rate call, irrespective of the time of day, and our company took no revenue at all from such calls.

We then had to switch over to an 0845 number, when 0345 numbers at that time were discontinued. We did so, and landline callers to our new 0845 number were still charged at the local rate, irrespective of the time of day, with our company continuing to take no revenue at all from such calls.

Now, however, it appears 0845 numbers are being changed back to 0345 numbers ... so what was the point of all that corporate number / advertising / literature reprinting and switching?  Roll Eyes Shocked Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 17:52:25 »

Exactly.  I did all that - and I am self-employed. No big company paying my bill!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 22:36:38 »

I remember seeing a tariff a few years ago that showed that the cost of phoning an 0845 / 0870 number varied depending on the next digit or two. It may have been on the T-Mobile website and of course is probably cheaper on a landline.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 23:41:54 »

I don't think 0345 and 0845 numbers were/are "local" numbers as such, they were marketed by BT when they first came out as "lo-call" numbers in that they were cheaper than national rate numbers, but not necessarily the same connection charge or per minute charge as a true local rate number.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 00:27:49 »

I remember seeing a tariff a few years ago that showed that the cost of phoning an 0845 / 0870 number varied depending on the next digit or two. It may have been on the T-Mobile website and of course is probably cheaper on a landline.

That used to be the case, but 0845 and 0870 are now a fixed price and non-revenue sharing. It is 0843, 0844, 0871 and 0872 that have varying price bands and may also have an element of price sharing.

Trying to find out what price band a particular 084x or 087x (not 0845 or 0870) is in can be a frustrating affair. I recently called my landline provider to ask in which price band, and how much per minute, a call to a particular 0844 number was. They show a range of price bands in their online price guide (from g1 to g28) but they don't break them down any further than 0844. Customer Services didn't have the info to hand and the guy I spoke with said he knew it was in a paper file somewhere, but he couldn't find the folder!!!

I had to wait for the call to show online in my 'call usage since last bill', find the relevant call, deduct the connection fee and divide the remainder by the length of the call to find out the per minute cost.

My complaint to my provider that I should be able to know the per minute charge before I make the call has yet to be responded to.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ian01

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 12:00:42 »

It seems 0845 numbers are moving to the 0345 prefix and will then fall within inclusive packages offered by telephone companies.  For those with long memories, you may remember these types of numbers used to be 0345 and then moved over to 0845 in 2001 - so it is going back from where it came!
The 0345 and 0645 numbers of the 1980s and 1990s were nine digits long. Those were converted to ten-digit 0845 numbers in 2000. BT (and a very few others) nowadays do a special deal and include 0845 numbers within call plan allowances. 0845 calls remain expensive from all mobiles and from most landlines.

The 03 range remained unused from 2000 to 2007. Calls to the new type of ten-digit 03 numbers (030, 033, 034, 037) cost the same as calling 01 and 02 numbers and count towards inclusive allowances on landlines and mobile phones. For most callers, these are very much cheaper than calls to 084 and 087 numbers.

It seems not all phone companies, including mine, have opened up their systems to the change yet.
It appears this particular 0345 number is not yet live. All phone companies allow access to 03 numbers and all charge them at exactly the same rate as whatever they charge for calling 01 and 02 numbers. This rule is set by Ofcom.

By June 2014 all 084 and 087 numbers for customer service, complaints, renewals and cancellations must move to an 0345 number.
Only existing 0845 users can move to an 0345 number. Users of other 084 and 087 numbers can move to the matching 034 or 037 number or to a new 01, 02, 030, 033 or 080 number.

I know of at least one company that has just moved from 0800 to 0845, giving the reason 0845 is cheaper from the majority of mobile providers than 0800.
0800 is almost always cheaper than 0845 when called from mobiles. 0800 is free from all landlines. 0845 is inclusive on BT call plans and expensive from most other landlines. The move to 0845 was a backwards step. They probably think 0845 calls are "local rate". This hasn't been true since 2003.

0800 numbers come with a running cost for the business. 0845 numbers are often supplied free of charge because callers cover those running costs by paying a 2p/min Service Charge hidden within the call price. Under Ofcom's "unbundled tariffs" scheme, users will have to declare this Service Charge from 2015.

Ofcom plan to make calls to 0800 numbers free from all mobile phones in 2015. If anything, this company should have moved to an 03 number (probably 033) or offered an 03 number in parallel with the 0800 number.

It also means the end of revenue sharing from such Customer Service numbers, whereby the company receiving the call could (depending on the exact 084x or 087x number) take a cut of the call cost from every call to them.
Yes. Revenue sharing will continue on 084 and 087 numbers but businesses will no longer be allowed to use those types of numbers for customer service. The most obvious solution is to use the matching 034 or 037 number. 03 numbers are charged the same as calling 01 and 02 numbers and revenue sharing is not allowed.

A few years ago now, my previous employer operated our helpline on an 0345 number: that was charged to any landline caller as a local rate call, irrespective of the time of day, and our company took no revenue at all from such calls.

We then had to switch over to an 0845 number, when 0345 numbers at that time were discontinued. We did so, and landline callers to our new 0845 number were still charged at the local rate, irrespective of the time of day, with our company continuing to take no revenue at all from such calls.

Now, however, it appears 0845 numbers are being changed back to 0345 numbers ... so what was the point of all that corporate number / advertising / literature reprinting and switching?  Roll Eyes Shocked Sad
In the 1980s and 1990s, the old nine-digit 0345 numbers were charged at local rate from BT landlines. In 2000, nine-digit 0345 and 0645 numbers were converted to ten-digit 0845 numbers and continued to be charged at local rate from BT landlines. In the meantime many other landline providers had appeared and mobile usage had massively increased. 0845 calls are expensive from many landlines and very expensive from mobiles.

In 2003, BT prices for calling 01 and 02 numbers were deregulated. BT scrapped the price differential between local and national rate when calling 01 and 02 numbers. BT also moved callers on to inclusive price plans: 'Weekend', 'Evening and Weekend' or 'Anytime'. Calls to 0845 numbers from landlines suddenly became much more expensive than calls to 01 and 02 numbers because they were not inclusive. Since around 2010 or 2011 the Anytime plan has been the most popular.

When calling an 0845 number, the call price includes a 2p/min Service Charge to the benefit of the called party. Since 2009, BT has effectively "hidden" this fee by offering inclusive calls to 0845 numbers. However, these calls remain expensive for callers without a call plan, and for callers on other landline networks or using a mobile phone. BT has much less than half of the landline market. More than half of all calls are made from mobile phones. BT will be unable to "hide" the Service Charge once call prices are "unbundled". 0845 calls will no longer be inclusive within monthly allowances.

The new range of ten-digit 0345 numbers (and all other 03 numbers for that matter) are charged at the same rate as calling 01 and 02 numbers and count towards inclusive allowances. This makes 03 numbers substantially cheaper (than 0845 numbers) to call for the vast majority of callers.

It is calls to 0843, 0844, 0871, 0872 and 0873 that vary by the first six digits of the telephone number called. These are pure revenue sharing numbers.

I don't think 0345 and 0845 numbers were/are "local" numbers as such, they were marketed by BT when they first came out as "lo-call" numbers in that they were cheaper than national rate numbers, but not necessarily the same connection charge or per minute charge as a true local rate number.
The price of calls to the old nine-digit 0345 numbers, when made from a BT line, was tied to BT local rate in the 1990s. So too with the price of calling the replacement ten-digit 0845 numbers, but only until 2003.

Since 2003, BT has declared a nominal "local rate" call price for a tariff without inclusive minutes, but every BT customer is now on a call plan with at least some inclusive calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers, even if only at the weekend. Since 2009, BT has also included calls to 0845 numbers within inclusive allowances, but these calls remain expensive from other landlines and from mobiles.

0845 and 0870 are now a fixed price and non-revenue sharing.
0870 has no Service Charge and revenue sharing is not allowed. This has applied since 2009 but this change has done nothing to bring down the cost of calling these numbers from mobiles. Additionally, as soon as revenue share was removed from 0870, many users simply swapped to an 0844 number and callers have saved nothing.

0845 has a 2p/min Service Charge. The call recipient uses this to pay for the call routing at their end of the call. There's usually nothing left over for a revenue share payment. Very large users of 0845 numbers may see half a penny per minute if they are lucky.

Ofcom propose that 0870 returns to revenue sharing in 2015 and all other 084 and 087 numbers continue with revenue sharing. Users of these numbers will have to declare the Service Charge that applies to their number.

Trying to find out what price band a particular 084x or 087x (not 0845 or 0870) is in can be a frustrating affair. I recently called my landline provider to ask in which price band, and how much per minute, a call to a particular 0844 number was. They show a range of price bands in their online price guide (from g1 to g28) but they don't break them down any further than 0844. Customer Services didn't have the info to hand and the guy I spoke with said he knew it was in a paper file somewhere, but he couldn't find the folder!!!
The part you are missing is the list which tells you that 0844 477 is tariff "g6" and 0844 387 is tariff "g11". That's in a separate document. The list for 08 and 09 numbers is hundreds of pages long and each network produces their own version of this list (as each network sets their own prices). BT's prices are regulated such that they make no profit on call origination. Other networks add their markup on top.

Ofcom are going to change the system next year. There will be a single document that lists the Service Charge for each number range. Each user will declare the Service Charge that applies to their number. Each network will declare a single Access Charge that covers all 084, 087 and 09 numbers. The call price will be the Access Charge levied by your phone network plus the Service Charge that applies to the number you are calling.

I had to wait for the call to show online in my 'call usage since last bill', find the relevant call, deduct the connection fee and divide the remainder by the length of the call to find out the per minute cost.
For an 0844 number on the lowest tariff and therefore advertised as costing 0.5p/min, a call of one second duration using BT costs 16p. The 15p connection fee makes short calls very expensive. Connection fees on calls to 084, 087 and 09 numbers are going to be scrapped in 2015. Ofcom will instead mandate that callers will pay the Access Charge and Service Charge for a minimum of one minute (or whatever time limit is eventually decided).

My complaint to my provider that I should be able to know the per minute charge before I make the call has yet to be responded to.
They should be able to direct you to the list that allows you to look up the tariff code based on the initial digits of the telephone number. The fact they didn't do this, shows that the current system is so complicated that even they do not understand it.

Ofcom have a basic copy of the list, but beware that some of the terminology describing the number ranges is outdated and the whole thing is about to be replaced by a much simpler system.

See
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/s8_code.txt
and
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/s9_code.txt

The per-minute rate part of the BT call price hasn't altered since 1996. BT's call prices are the only ones that are regulated. Other networks charge whatever they like.

The call price regulation covering BT's 084, 087 and 09 call prices will shortly end. Ofcom (or an industry body appointed by Ofcom) will set the level of Service Charge that will in future apply to each of the telephone numbers in those number ranges. That figure will apply for all calls, irrespective of the originating network.

As a general rule of thumb, and subject to the new system being hammered out in intricate detail during 2014, the new Service Charge that will apply for 084, 087 and 09 calls will be approximately the current BT call price, plus VAT (Value Added Tax), plus another penny, with this figure then rounded up to the next whole penny.

Current BT call price of "5.1p/min plus 15p connection fee" on tariff "g6" roughly equates to 7p/min Service Charge. This is very much a "rough and ready" estimate but will do for now in understanding the general principles. A Service Charge will also have to be decided for 0870 calls; but it's likely to be around 10p/min.

BT's connection fee, and those on other networks, has relentlessly increased. This will be scrapped for calls to 084, 087 and 09 numbers. The Access Charge that replaces it will be set at a per-minute rate. BT will be free to set whatever rate they want, but it is suspected that it will be very low.

The new system will be very much easier to understand. The fact that phone networks each set and declare a single Access Charge per tariff will make it possible to compare tariffs when considering the price of calling 084, 087 and 09 numbers. It will also be possible for networks to set a zero Access Charge and make this part of the call price inclusive in call plans. If they do, this will have to apply equally to all 084, 087 and 09 numbers.

Ofcom are expected to announce the final details of the new system before the end of 2013. The project is running late as a number of objections to the proposals have been made. Some of the phone companies are saying they believe consumers will be confused by the new level of price transparency. Roughly translated I think that means "once consumers see the real call costs, they'll realise how much they have been ripped off during the last decade or more".

Look out for details of the "unbundled tariffs" system and an announcement about calls to 080 numbers becoming free from all mobiles. An announcement is expected before the end of the year.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:25:53 by Ian01 » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 12:15:37 »

A very warm welcome to the forum Ian01 and thanks for that comprehensive appraisal of the various numbers being discussed in this topic.  Smiley

Do you work in the telecoms industry perchance? No need to go into any detail about your employ though. Just curious.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ian01

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 13:06:53 »

Some time ago, I was billed five quid for a call to the local doctor on their 0844 number. They assured me that it was my phone company that was at fault because "0844 numbers are charged at the local rate". I started looking into how this all works in detail and found that the issue is very complicated, that what I was initially told was simply not true and that 084 numbers had already been banned in the NHS for some time.

084 and 087 numbers are everywhere. They are usually very expensive to call. The various problems seem to be caused by a combination of:
- many people thinking that all 084 and 087 numbers still work much like 0845 numbers did in the late 1990s - they don't,
- many people thinking that BT's rates are the only ones that are important or are in any way typical - they aren't,
- many of the number sellers being very economical with the truth as to what these calls cost - leading to many inapproriate uses,
- and slow action by Ofcom in seeing what was coming, as well as poor overall regulation to protect the consumer.

Hopefully the forthcoming regulatory changes will alleviate many of the current problems.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 13:10:36 by Ian01 » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 15:21:10 »

Ian, I'm going to re-iterate that welcome.  And your very full answer has sent me adding a "todo" to my list over the next few days to consider the 0845 number that I take care of, and see if it should be changed to something else.

Our business has an 0800 number - initially taken on to encourage people to call us without charge, and it's retained and has elements where it's useful.  However, once call levels get up beyond a certain level we pay extra per month, and a number that is completely free (and doesn't come off any allowance) also encourages calls we don't want - there's a down side to offering the service.

The CRP (Community Rail Partnership) has an 0845 number - and it looks like turning that to an 0345 might be sensible.  We've no desire to have people pay a lot of money, we've no desire to make money out of them (I don't think - add to agenda for next meeting, as it could help fund us if people pay for an enquiry service), but we don't want to provide a free alternative to other professionally manned and costed services, nor do we want that down side we have with the 0800.

Our 0800 and the 0845 numbers are both web redirectable, meaning we can pass them around to whoever's on call without having to go to a base point, and we don't want to use numbers which are geographically tied (so no 01793, 01249, 01225, 01373, 01985 or 01722)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 21:05:45 »

Many years ago, I worked for an insurance company that had call centres in India.  They used a different switchboard system to us, so we couldn't dial internally to contact them.  Instead we could call a 0871 number to effectively jump the queue ahead of all the waiting customers.  This went on for months until someone realised we were paying six digit figures every year to dial this number, and the outsourcing company were taking a large % of revenue, just for us to make what was effectively an internal call!  Eventually they moved to a VOIP system where calls were routed over the corporate network (which they were also connected to as if they were in the UK (United Kingdom)).

On the other hand, the customer facing website listed four phone numbers: sales 0800, service 0871, claims 0845 and switchboard 01793.  Everyone, and I mean nearly everyone, would call sales when they wanted service.  Which is fine.  But some staff hadn't had any service training, so you'd end up waiting twice to speak to someone.  Saved paying for the call though.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: