21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:28:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Derailed freight train at Gloucester causing severe disruption - 15 October 2013  (Read 30388 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 16:33:00 »

Wonder whether they are going to retime or will we hang around Newport on the way out and Swindon on the way back, maybe I'll make the earlier train at Reading but miss my pint.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 17:15:22 »

A sensible move otherwise they might have had HST (High Speed Train) diversions up to Birmingham/ Shrewsbury and down the Heart of Wales line to Swansea !

No need to go quite that far. There's Worcester, then Hereford to Newport via Abergavenny on the Welsh Marches Line. With a few FGW (First Great Western) HST drivers who sign Cheltenham to Worcester and Hereford to Newport.  Wink
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 20:59:46 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 17:15:42 »

Network Rail have cancelled engineering work this weekend so that services can travel through the Severn Tunnel.

The line between Lydney and Gloucester is likely to be closed for a few days. I bet there is going to be some disruption trying to get everything through the Severn Tunnel especially since now other train can travel through the tunnel while the Roberston - Westerleigh tanks are traveling through.

Even the police helicopter got called out last night to search for the missing container which has ended up on a road.

Not been a good week for container trains has it.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 17:27:52 »

The line between Lydney and Gloucester is likely to be closed for a few days. I bet there is going to be some disruption trying to get everything through the Severn Tunnel.

I too thought this but after viewing the freight schedule for the next couple of days, we are only talking an extra freight approximately every 90mins on average in each direction through daytime hours.  A bit more late evening and overnight but with reduced passenger services by this time it shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 18:03:29 »

Suspended until Monday, according to National Rail Enquiries (NRE(resolve) - is that in the Glossaty? :-))

Assuming that you actually meant to refer to our 'acronyms and abbreviations' page, ChrisB - yes, it is:

NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) ... National Rail Enquiry Service

Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 20:47:54 »

Wonder whether they are going to retime or will we hang around Newport on the way out and Swindon on the way back, maybe I'll make the earlier train at Reading but miss my pint.

The trains will run to a special Timetable which should resemble the normal Timetable and which should resume the following week.    There is nothing in National Rail Journey Planner - still shewn via Gloucester.
Surely you wouldn't expect them to block up Platforms at Newport and Swindon for an hour.  Replacement trains  will run between Gloucester and Swindon and vice versa..
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 21:04:53 »

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the weekend engineering work.  As of 5pm the plan seems to have changed again and to go ahead with the closure of the Severn Tunnel.

Just looked now and, for example, there is a 12:15 service from Paddington on Saturday to Bristol Temple Meads via Bristol Parkway with a bus connection from Parkway to Newport and then a train followed by a 12:45 departure from Paddington calling at Kemble, Stroud, Stonehouse, Gloucester, Severn Tunnel Junction and usual calls in South Wales.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 01:40:15 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) have updated their coverage of the incident, including a video news report that was included on BBC Points West this evening (16/10/2013).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-24559634

From the video it's now apparent that the container seen in earlier photographs on the London Road bridge in Gloucester was not the one that derailed. it was another wagon behind this one (looks like the last one of the consist) that somehow lost both its wheelsets and dumped its container on the permanent way. Also from the video, its now more apparent as to why the copper chopper was called out.

Network Rail will do well to have the line reopened in time to allow the scheduled maintenance to take place between Bristol Parkway and Severn Tunnel Junction. I'm fairly confident that a Plan B will be available if NR» (Network Rail - home page) can't open the Gloucester- Newport line in time for the 0200 Sat 19/10/2013 possession of the Severn Tunnel.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:02 »

Network Rail have cancelled engineering work this weekend so that services can travel through the Severn Tunnel.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 10:14:57 »

Chris B, is has apparently been un-cancelled and is back on, and Network Rail have been issued a deadline of 0200 to have this route reopened on Saturday morning.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 10:43:12 »

What happens if they don't reopen by 02:00 Saturday? Do they close the Severn Tunnel and presumably run buses from Parkway to Newport?

Hardly makes it worth my while going do you think I could get a refund or change my tickets (advanced) free of charge?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 12:34:09 »

If the line via Gloucester is not ready then there is a possibility that the start of engineering works ould be pushed back to start later or be cancelled altogether and replanned for another weekend
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 16:52:35 »

I wonder what the state of play will be at 0200 on Saturday.    Any major job takes as long as it takes.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 20:00:08 »

National Rail Enquiries are saying that full repairs to the line between Gloucester and Lydney are due to be completed on Friday night.

If that is so then the planned possession of the Severn Tunnel will go ahead from 0200 on Saturday morning and services that use the tunnel will be diverted via Lydney as originally planned.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 09:41:04 »

Looks like I may get to Cardiff on Saturday when I expected to.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: