Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:04:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Whiteball Tunnel blockade - January / February 2014  (Read 71442 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 22:01:04 »

You just beat me to it Timmer, although there do appear some gremlins.  Some Saturday services appear to be advertised as having a Pullman Restaurant service.   Somehow I doubt it!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 12:33:45 »

A Pullman on a Saturday ! Smiley
Most improbable I grant, IF TRUE it would almost be worth travelling for the novelty of taking a meal on the wrong day AND via the wrong route.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:32 »

I understand that there are two workings planned which sound almost a bit pointless although I guess these are positioning runs for drivers, rather than rolling stock? Two trains scheduled through Exeter St. Davids in the early hours of Monday 20-Jan-2014:

5Z88 0005hrs Plymouth (Laira TMD (Traction Maintenance Depot)) - Bristol (St. Philips Marsh), due 0617
Timings at Exeter St. Davids: arrive 0240hrs, depart 0250hrs

5Z89 0230hrs Bristol (St. Philips Marsh) - Plymouth (Laira TMD), due 0806
Timings at Exeter St. Davids: arrive 0523hrs, depart 0530hrs

Both trains have crew changes scheduled at Castle Cary where one crosses the other.

Also a heads-up on the signalling front. Whereas 2013 saw abolsition of the signalbox at Yeovil Junction, I understand that 2014 is scheduled to see the abolition of the signalbox and semaphore signals at Yeovil Pen Mill. Once the abolition of the box is carried out the control will pass to Basingstoke ASC so this could well be the last time we see HSTs (High Speed Train) working udner semaphore signalling at Yeovil Pen Mill.

I don't yet have a final date for the abolition of Pen Mill box but I will post it on this forum when I do. The date could slip anyway.

HTIOI,
Dave
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 13:10:56 »

Yes.  Good work by FGW (First Great Western).  Now lets all have a look at Cross Country for the same info............ Roll Eyes Tongue Cry
Info now on CrossCountry website, albeit without times.

- Services to / from Birmingham,. Manchester, Northern England & Scotland will terminate at / start from Taunton. These trains will use the normal headcodes (1Cxx, 1Sxx or whatever)

- Services to / from Devon & Cornwall will start from / terminate at Exeter St. Davids and these trains will use 1Zxx headcodes.

Buses replacing trains Taunton - Tiverton Parkway - Exeter St. Davids

Dave
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 19:18:34 »

Yeovil Pen Mill Signalbox - There was a plan to simplify the area and close the signalbox. However the plan would have caused significant difficulties to the operators and has not been proceeded to formal consultation as far as I know. My understanding is that it is likely that the box will be life-extended until replacement of Westbury powerbox and it will then form part of a bigger scheme. The costs involved were (as you might imagine) very substantial for little savings.

This is still awaiting confirmation!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 19:53:58 »

The Wessex 'route business plan' issued last year with all the CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) stuff has Yeovil Pen Mill transferring into Westbury in Dec 2016.   

I expect it isn't shown in the Western equivalent plan because the line comes under the Wessex NR» (Network Rail - home page) route presently - I guess it's possible the 'territory boundary' will be altered with the change to ROCs (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region).

I'm not so sure the physical closure itself will be subject to the result of consultation though - surely consolidation into ROCs is a done deal - the consultation will be purely about which staff move, and where.

Paul
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 20:43:44 »

I understand that there are two workings planned which sound almost a bit pointless although I guess these are positioning runs for drivers, rather than rolling stock? Two trains scheduled through Exeter St. Davids in the early hours of Monday 20-Jan-2014:

5Z88 0005hrs Plymouth (Laira TMD (Traction Maintenance Depot)) - Bristol (St. Philips Marsh), due 0617
Timings at Exeter St. Davids: arrive 0240hrs, depart 0250hrs

5Z89 0230hrs Bristol (St. Philips Marsh) - Plymouth (Laira TMD), due 0806
Timings at Exeter St. Davids: arrive 0523hrs, depart 0530hrs

Both trains have crew changes scheduled at Castle Cary where one crosses the other.
I imagine they are just paths to swap HST (High Speed Train) sets around to get them to the correct side of the blockade. Cross Country have similar paths from Exeter to Briston Barton Hill.
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 21:54:46 »

Yeovil Pen Mill - if the plan had simply been for a recontrol elsewhere then I agree that no consultation would have been necessary. However there was a significant simplification of the track and implications for the various TOCs (Train Operating Company) so this would have required their input/agreement.

I am not at all sure that anything has been decided as yet - the latest thought is that when Westbury Powerbox goes so will Yeovil Pen Mill signalbox - although to which Centre is not yet known! It may well be around for a bit longer than 2016 with a bit of TLC (three letter code )....
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 01:06:05 »

I imagine they are just paths to swap HST (High Speed Train) sets around to get them to the correct side of the blockade. Cross Country have similar paths from Exeter to Briston Barton Hill.
I have already heard of these but so far only one is available on a scheduling website:

5Z20 22:12 Exeter St. Davids - Bristol Barton Hill WRD

Not yet found info for the other one but I am concocting a playable timetable for a railway signalling simulation so I hope that details for the Bristol Barton Hill WRD - Exeter St. Davids movement will become known soon.

Dave
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 06:34:56 »

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00295/2014/01/27/advanced

There we go, that is an example of the return move.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 14:08:05 »

I am not disputing this but I am amazed by it! I know that NO XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Driver at Plymouth retains this route knowledge. Maybe the Bristol Drivers do, but I didn't think so either. Route knowledge was held until it was decided that if there were diversions via Yeovil Pen Mill it would be Great Western who would get the paths.

I understand there will be 5 sets West of the Blockade to operate the shuttles to/from Plymouth and Penzance to Exeter.

It may be that this path is in place in case of eventualities. For example if a set develops wheel flats. In which case I suspect that a Conductor Driver with route knowledge would have to be hired in to conduct the XC Driver.

I may be wrong about the above but can anyone tell me the last time XC travelled this way at all? I believe it was only Drivers and Guards from Plymouth who 'signed the route' via Yeovil Junction and Pen Mill. Bristol drivers sign Swindon as a diversionary route and Both Plymouth and Bristol Guards and drivers regularly refresh Bath, Bathampton and Westbury as a regular diversionary route.

I think this path is potentially just a 'notional' one just in case XC need it in an emergency.

Hope that makes sense. If it does run would be good to know the details and see a photo perhaps!

Any other info would be appreciated

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 14:36:36 »

I expect there wouldn't be an issue finding a FGW (First Great Western) driver to conduct if necessary - especially as it would only be Castle Cary-Exeter required.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 17:07:30 »

The printed book, and quite a thick tome it is, detailing the altered services is now available at stations.

(Well at least Newton Abbot and Plymouth - where I saw copies today.)
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 21:05:24 »

Thanks for this. I have just made 5Z21 the 181st train to be added to the SimSig timetable I am working on. Oddly enough no mention of it if you search Exeter St. Davids for the 27th January. Or the 20th for that matter.

Dave
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 22:12:28 »

I am not disputing this but I am amazed by it! I know that NO XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Driver at Plymouth retains this route knowledge. Maybe the Bristol Drivers do, but I didn't think so either. Route knowledge was held until it was decided that if there were diversions via Yeovil Pen Mill it would be Great Western who would get the paths.

I understand there will be 5 sets West of the Blockade to operate the shuttles to/from Plymouth and Penzance to Exeter.

It may be that this path is in place in case of eventualities. For example if a set develops wheel flats. In which case I suspect that a Conductor Driver with route knowledge would have to be hired in to conduct the XC Driver.

I may be wrong about the above but can anyone tell me the last time XC travelled this way at all? I believe it was only Drivers and Guards from Plymouth who 'signed the route' via Yeovil Junction and Pen Mill. Bristol drivers sign Swindon as a diversionary route and Both Plymouth and Bristol Guards and drivers regularly refresh Bath, Bathampton and Westbury as a regular diversionary route.

I think this path is potentially just a 'notional' one just in case XC need it in an emergency.

Hope that makes sense. If it does run would be good to know the details and see a photo perhaps!

Any other info would be appreciated
I have read elsewhere that a limited number of XC Drivers will be learning the route in order to work Voyagers to and from Barton Hill to change over.    They already know from Bristol to Castle Cary.    Also there is a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) move between Exeter and Westbury in each direction to change over.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: