I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:29:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335737 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 09, 2018, 19:45:50 »

...mmm.  7 1/2 months to go and a lot of work still to do.  The Lawrence Hill - Stapleton Road section seems to be needing the most work still.  Keep posting the videos!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 09, 2018, 22:13:21 »

I'm wondering if NR» (Network Rail - home page) are missing a PR (Public Relations) opportunity by not retrieving the old discarded rail between Narroways Junction and the Montpelier tunnel at the next possession of the line during 4 tracking. It would make a local heritage line a lovely siding or headshunt.
They could do with some nice headlines.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 10, 2018, 06:37:37 »

Appears there is still a lot of lineside and between lines vegetation needed to be cleared / trimmed back.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 10, 2018, 22:44:54 »

Thanks metalrail - I only get to see half of that from the Severn Riviera Limited.

Delighted to see that NR» (Network Rail - home page) have added colourful decorations to the spraycrete - much of their work is so... utilitatian. I note that those bits of spare pointwork are still sat on the platform at Stapleton Road; wonder if they'll ever get round to recovering them?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 12, 2018, 15:13:55 »

...mmm.  7 1/2 months to go and a lot of work still to do.  The Lawrence Hill - Stapleton Road section seems to be needing the most work still.  Keep posting the videos!

Yeah that part seems to be moving slower at the minute, far less progress than further up the bank...  looks like they're concentrating on getting the new relief lines in first so they can remove the slew between FIT and Muller Road bridge, then they can concentrate on the rest of what will be the new main line trackbed from the new crossovers southward, over the new SRD viaduct and connect up at Dr Days

Delighted to see that NR» (Network Rail - home page) have added colourful decorations to the spraycrete - much of their work is so... utilitatian. I note that those bits of spare pointwork are still sat on the platform at Stapleton Road; wonder if they'll ever get round to recovering them?

Certainly didn't take the 'artists' long to 'decorate' that new spraycrete... think there was less than a week before it was vandalised... oops sorry, artistically improved!  Angry

And that spare pointwork at SRD certainly seems to have taken root...  caught my eye the other day yet again, should be used to it by now!  Wink

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 13, 2018, 16:14:21 »

Some pics from Sunday afternoon during Filton Bank possession...

Constable Rd N showing crossover being installed between 2 new relief lines just south of Bonnington Walk, Constable Rd S showing a load more ballast being delivered.  Tried to get a close up of the new crossover from Bonnington Walk itself thru the metal railings at the side but no joy, and even tho i'm over 6 ft tall i'd need a stepladder to try and see over the sides of the bridge now!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 16:25:25 by metalrail » Logged

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 13, 2018, 16:18:49 »

Then 2 of FIT, currently with no track into platform 3...  from the 2 pics looks as tho they're relaying the line from the junction to slew it over better in order to fit in the new track for platform 4.  Always noticed before that the line to platform 3 was slewed way over under the footbridge I was on to fit a second track under

Be interesting to see if it's completed for this week, or whether that's part of next weekends possession
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 17:32:24 by metalrail » Logged

metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 14, 2018, 17:23:36 »

Keep posting the videos!

You'll regret saying that soon!   Wink

Another trip up the bank this afternoon showing the work done over the weekend possession.  All the ballast delivered now pretty much covers all of the new relief side starting from the south slew, the first new crossover installed just south of Bonnington Walk, and the new track alignment from the current up main junction into FIT platform 3.  Look forward to seeing what next weekends possession brings now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTBYPTJkLIc

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2018, 14:37:24 »

The orange army didn't get to watch Meghan and Harry:

That's from Constable Road looking towards Bonnington Walk yesterday about 1p.m. In the distance you can just see the switch from relief northbound to southbound lines (sorry, I don't know which is "up" and "down" deprived of the London-wards reference point). I'm not sure exactly what the yellow frames on the engineering train are but when I passed that way again about nine hours later, it was still there and a crane was lifting the long steel girder and depositing it on main northbound tracks, while acres of ballast was being spread the other side of Constable Road bridge.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2018, 14:47:42 »

They are probably the tilting wagons carrying the switch assemblies.

This was posted on Twitter  this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/998191304562667520
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2018, 17:03:43 »

This was the same view this afternoon (Sunday) around 3pm.  2 delivery freights - 1 on the down main having delivered the new switch and more rails, the other on the up main having delivered a boat load of sleepers both sides of Constable Rd bridge, so expect to see those along with the new rails delivered laid pretty soon now...

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 17:12:21 by metalrail » Logged

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2018, 17:08:14 »

They're getting there.

Three and a Half Tracks, Now!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2018, 17:09:11 »

Then a trip to Bonnington Walk to figure out where the new switch delivery had taken place, as judging by SandTEngineer's new diagram posted recently looked like it would be just north of Bonnington Walk, and it was.  The first new switch was laid between the 2 new relief lines last weekend as in the pics, and the second new one (half of it at least) is being laid on the new down relief to crossover onto the up main, which will no doubt be installed either in the July possession or October blockade.  You can 'just' make it out from the only pic I managed to get thru the railings at the side of the bridge!

Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 21, 2018, 10:23:31 »

Nice photos. Good to see the progress. I’m hoping to have a look around for myself later this evening.

Just as a point of interest, the lines at this location are titled the ‘Up Filton’ and ‘Down Filton’, not the Up & Down Main.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2018, 10:27:18 »

Nice photos. Good to see the progress. I’m hoping to have a look around for myself later this evening.

Just as a point of interest, the lines at this location are titled the ‘Up Filton’ and ‘Down Filton’, not the Up & Down Main.
Yebbut which way is which?

And I've just realized that having mentioned the Orange Army in my caption, there are none actually in the photo! But they were there...

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: