Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:25:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335654 times)
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 10, 2018, 20:15:18 »

Can we get back now to people asking me difficult railway signalling questions Roll Eyes

Yeah...  whatever happened to those long rectangular ones that used to go up and down?   Wink

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 10, 2018, 21:08:45 »

Can we get back now to people asking me difficult railway signalling questions Roll Eyes

Yeah...  whatever happened to those long rectangular ones that used to go up and down?   Wink

Wash your mouth out please.  They only go down on this patch (OK, there once was a couple that went up instead, but we soon got rid of those).  There are more of the ones that go down left than you might think..... Wink
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:56:06 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 10, 2018, 21:10:27 »

Now then, nobody has asked (yet) about the PRELIMINARY ROUTE INDICATOR on the Up Relief at the new Horfield Junction assuming its been installed now....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:43:23 by SandTEngineer » Logged
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 10, 2018, 21:11:53 »

Wash your mouth out please.  They only go down on this patch.  There are more left than you might think..... Wink

Hehe....  I know.  And trust me I do still love to see them in action!

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 10, 2018, 21:24:29 »

Now then, nobody has asked (yet) about the PRELIMINARY ROUTING INDICATOR on the Up Relief at the new Horfield Junction assuming its been installed now....

Hi SandT...  could you tell me about the preliminary 'feather' indicator on the Up Relief please?  Wink

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 10, 2018, 21:39:08 »

Now then, nobody has asked (yet) about the PRELIMINARY ROUTING INDICATOR on the Up Relief at the new Horfield Junction assuming its been installed now....

Hi SandT...  could you tell me about the preliminary 'feather' indicator on the Up Relief please?  Wink

Now you are really trying hard to wind me up aren't you....  going to bed now, tell you tomorrow...
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 10, 2018, 21:43:47 »

Now you are really trying hard to wind me up aren't you....  going to bed now, tell you tomorrow...

Thanks.  Joking aside yeah I would like to know please   Smiley

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 10, 2018, 21:53:38 »

Thanks.  Joking aside yeah I would like to know please   Smiley

Me too, assuming it's one of those arrows in a theatre-type indicator like the one at the top of the Lickey and at Aynho.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 10, 2018, 22:49:47 »

Perhaps a bit like Clifton Down station, but in every other context people talk about Clifton Downs. Although maybe they didn't when it opened in the 1870s.

The area known as The Downs consists of two downs - Clifton Down, and Durdham Down. I've done no research on this, so I can't be sure, but I am guessing that Clifton Down Station was named after one of these.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 10, 2018, 23:22:08 »

In all my time in Bristol I referred to, and heard referred to, The Downs as the plural, never Clifton Downs.

That's not to say their aren't many erroneous references online to the entire Downs area as Clifton Downs. One of the chief culprits being the Bristol Post.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 11, 2018, 01:09:49 »

The area known as The Downs consists of two downs - Clifton Down, and Durdham Down. I've done no research on this, so I can't be sure, but I am guessing that Clifton Down Station was named after one of these.
"All they Downs is up" ("The Bristol Song" by The Wurzels)  Grin

Anyway I was out and about this morning. At the Bristol Temple Meads end signals BL1818 and BL2054 have been replaced by new signals with Position 3 feathers. Interestingly BL2054 remains with a single lens while BL1818 is being upgraded (for want of a better word) to dual lens. As can be seen in one of the photos I took from St. Philips Causeway signal BL1816 has yet to be replaced but is, I suspect, awaiting its fate. BL1818 is in the middle while BL2054 is on the right.

After watching the installation of BL1818 I drove up to Lockleaze and walked from Bonnington Walk to the footbridge just south of Filton Abbey Wood station which was a hive of activity. As can be seen in the other attached photo the recently constructed signal gantry next to the bridge now has 3 signals on it: BL1573 (replacement for existing signal), BL1575 and BL1577 (both newbies). In a piece of forward thinking BL1575 has been given a position 4 feather. My understanding on this is that although BL1575 will, for now, be fixed at red but, from what I was told on a Facebook group relating to signalling, the old 'emergency crossover' will eventually become a signalled move although the author of that post didn't say when. Perhaps when the new platform comes into serve in December?

I should perhaps add, for the avoidance of doubt, that the photo of the signal gantry was taken through a metal fence so no trespass was committed in the obtaining of that photo.

HTIOI,
Dave
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:15:40 by DaveHarries » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 11, 2018, 09:46:18 »

Dave, I wrote about the reversible working at Filton Abbey Wood in a post above: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13113.msg251122#msg251122  and if you look at the track layout I posted here, all is explained: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13113.msg236581#msg236581 and http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13113.msg248151#msg248151

...and it looks like there are having an "oh dear, its pointing the wrong way" moment with BL1818 signal.... Roll Eyes  Note that its a POSITION 1 JUNCTION INDICATOR.  Interesting that its been installed as a 4-Aspect signal as the Signalling Plan and Drivers Briefing document I mentioned in an earlier post, both show it as a 3-Aspect signal (as is Signal BL2054 on the right, which is correct, but unfortunately its also pointing the wrong way!) Tongue

Signal BL1816 on the left is not being replaced.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:19:33 by SandTEngineer » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 11, 2018, 10:18:02 »

Interesting that its been installed as a 4-Aspect signal as the Signalling Plan and Drivers Briefing document I mentioned in an earlier post, both show it as a 3-Aspect signal. Tongue

It seems quite common these days to fit signals with two LED heads (i.e. 4-aspect) signals with the upper head not used, so they are in fact 3-aspect signals.  Presumably it makes it easier to change them in the future?  Either that or somebody ordered too many 4-aspect signals.   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 11, 2018, 10:23:40 »

Interesting that its been installed as a 4-Aspect signal as the Signalling Plan and Drivers Briefing document I mentioned in an earlier post, both show it as a 3-Aspect signal. Tongue

It seems quite common these days to fit signals with two LED heads (i.e. 4-aspect) signals with the upper head not used, so they are in fact 3-aspect signals.  Presumably it makes it easier to change them in the future?  Either that or somebody ordered too many 4-aspect signals.   Wink

Thats a new one on me II, and I really don't understand why as the signal spacing distances are different and conversion from 3-Aspect to 4-Aspect signalling would most likely involve repositioning the signals anyway.  Also a bit misleading for drivers, who have been briefed differently.....  I think your latter theory might be the correct one Grin
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 11, 2018, 10:48:02 »

Now then, nobody has asked (yet) about the PRELIMINARY ROUTE INDICATOR on the Up Relief at the new Horfield Junction assuming its been installed now....

So SandT, joking aside i'd really like to know about this please.  Is this like the ones i've seen around Paddington - the square box above the signals - that show what route is set on the next set of signals that have the actual route indicator attached?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: