Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:28:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335801 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: November 16, 2018, 18:29:31 »

Rower40 posted a warning a while back (here) about limited platforming options at Filton Abbey Wood until the timetable gets rewritten. However, that may not help a lot given the restrictions of the track layout.

A path via platforms 1 and 2 can take any track or route, north or south. However, for platforms 3 and 4 only paths using the Relief Lines to the south and going via Patchway are possible. So P1/2 must accommodate all trains using the Mains and all trains via Parkway.

Currently the primary stopping service reaching FIT is provided by trains via or to/from Parkway, plus a few to Cardiff, and the Severn Beach trains use part of the line only. If that is still the pattern, then the capacity is limited to that of one pair of platforms and tracks, plus however many south Wales trains also use the Reliefs (but may not stop). Filton Bank as a whole is only a short stretch of line, so mixing fast and slow paths will work, but any increase in the number of stopping trains reduces the number and speed of available non-stop paths using P3/4 at FIT.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 16, 2018, 20:49:48 »

Don't forget that after new year 2019, Filton Abbey Wood platform No.2 becomes reversible and useable by Down Trains between Bristol Parkway and Bristol TM(resolve).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 20:56:47 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 17, 2018, 11:40:38 »

Don't forget that after new year 2019, Filton Abbey Wood platform No.2 becomes reversible and useable by Down Trains between Bristol Parkway and Bristol TM(resolve).

Why then.? Why not now.

Is there a proper running signal now at the London end of Platform 2. I wondered as it shows a LOS signal on Opentraintimes map. Also spotted unusual running of trains a Gloucester train went from platform 4, The signal was still red. Plus a Bristol Parkway to Cardiff goes from 1. Again the signal did not work. I Hope the map gets sorted by NR» (Network Rail - home page) soon as it is driving me banannas.

Forgot to say this refers to Bristol Parkway.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:45:48 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 17, 2018, 12:01:13 »

Why then.? Why not now.

Can't do it until they update the Electronic Live Block Overlays? WinkSmiley

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 17, 2018, 12:03:36 »

Why then.? Why not now.

Can't do it until they update the Electronic Line Block Overlays? WinkSmiley

I assume these are modules and software that allows the axle counters to work in reverse.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 17, 2018, 12:29:10 »

I must stop this; it's not big and it's not clever...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 17, 2018, 13:14:56 »

I hope FT,N aka Tony of the Teflon Tonsils and Taffeta tuxedo is doing his vocal warm up scales and arpeggios for his warm up arial 'Fourtrack for Filton Bank' to be sung on Monday morning....
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 17, 2018, 13:52:04 »

I hope FT,N aka Tony of the Teflon Tonsils and Taffeta tuxedo is doing his vocal warm up scales and arpeggios for his warm up arial 'Fourtrack for Filton Bank' to be sung on Monday morning....

If he does, let me know which station he'll be performing at so I can catch my train from somewhere else!   Wink

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 17, 2018, 14:13:56 »

If he does, let me know which station he'll be performing at so I can catch my train from somewhere else!   Wink

After the IET (Intercity Express Train) inaugural service publicity event's comedic outcome at Temple Meads, I wonder if the constructors,local politicians and rail chiefs are a little wary of being seen at any opening ceremony for the 4track. These sort of things have a bit of a history going back to Huskisson on day one.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 17, 2018, 14:45:43 »

That should add flexibility, and maybe help with timings, but I don't see that it adds timetable capacity - borrowing the wrong platform line takes out too many potential paths, and this is on the busy side of the station.

As to why the facility isn't delivered by Monday, think about planning the work. Having found you need a blockade, you put into just the things that otherwise take years to do in short possessions, then anything else that is easier done then and doesn't push up the risk of overrunning, or would be a pain to resume operation without. Anything that can only be done at the end, after the major track changes, is a risk as it doesn't leave time to recover from problems, so if it can be done later you'd leave it out.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 17, 2018, 15:13:20 »

Probably me being naïve, but I am assuming that the two coming weekend blockades are there at least in part to fix any snags...

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 17, 2018, 20:56:42 »

As far as I'm aware, FT,N! is currently reposed in warmer climes.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 17, 2018, 20:59:23 »

Why then.? Why not now.

Is there a proper running signal now at the London end of Platform 2. I wondered as it shows a LOS signal on Opentraintimes map. Also spotted unusual running of trains a Gloucester train went from platform 4, The signal was still red. Plus a Bristol Parkway to Cardiff goes from 1. Again the signal did not work. I Hope the map gets sorted by NR» (Network Rail - home page) soon as it is driving me banannas.

Because there is further signalling work required at Bristol Parkway to introduce the third line and additional signals/routes.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 17, 2018, 22:36:38 »

F4T T-2 Grin

According to the Train Manager on a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service I was on yesterday (16/11/2018), XC were understood to be making contingency plans for a possible overrun on Monday.  Might just be railway talk of course Roll Eyes
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 17, 2018, 23:17:30 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) were understood to be making contingency plans for a possible overrun on Monday...

As are prudent passengers Smiley

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: