Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
09:00 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 10:36:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 337157 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2014, 22:50:46 »

Surely the palisade fencing and 'egg-tray' rubber anti-trespass panel is there to prevent trespass onto the line/disused section of platform.

I think that was what I was trying to say - you put it so much more clearly
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:49 »

Looks like a site for a relocatable equipment building (REB) - a large signalling equipment cabinet.  I assume it is the start of the Bristol Resignalling scheme.   

Way-hay! Signs of modernisation at last! Having solved one mystery, I pose another question: why is this set of points / bit of rail on the disused platform at SRD?

I think maybe johnneyw and ellendune may have mistaken what FT, N! was referring to - towards the top of the picture, to the right of the patch of glare and embedded in the platform, is what appears to be a set of points .

Don't worry, Red Squirrel, there will still be plenty of city farm to go around.

The Boiling Wells Project is to the east of the railway embankment, whereas the City Farm is to the west. At the moment there are tallish trees on the east-facing slope of the embankment, which gives the Boiling Wells valley a pleasant, rural feel. If you look at the Arup visualisation, at about 1' 34s, you'll see 'Ashley Hill Embankment South (Down) - 205m Contiguous Pile Wall and Regrade'. I don't think it's going to be very pretty when they finish! But as I say; eggs and omelettes.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2014, 10:54:22 »

At some locations ready use spare S&C (Settle and Carlisle ) components are left stored trackside, if there's a failure a load of men in a few vans can sort it out.   

Either that or it has been delivered early for an upcoming renewal somewhere in the vicinity, but not necessarily that close.  I expect delivery of such components is by flat bed lorry to a convenient point, with road-rail machines appearing some time later to deliver to the actual worksite, which may be up or down the line somewhere.

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2014, 11:03:36 »

I think maybe johnneyw and ellendune may have mistaken what FT, N! was referring to - towards the top of the picture, to the right of the patch of glare and embedded in the platform, is what appears to be a set of points .

I don't think that's what they are. It's some other bits of ironmongery - possible leftovers from the railings?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2014, 11:24:30 »

I don't think that's what they are. It's some other bits of ironmongery - possible leftovers from the railings?

They're definitely switch blades and stock rails.  If you magnify it and look at the far ends, you can see the fixed blocks that separate the parts of the switch that don't move with respect to one another.

But contrary to my previous post, having now magnified the image, I'd tend towards them being scrap, because there seem to be signs that there are either bits of sleepers or chairs under them as well...

Paul
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:30:47 by paul7755 » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:16 »

In this view from Google Maps it looks very much like old scrap points, and a few bits of rail.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2015, 16:20:01 »

A 'heads up' for the newbie moderator FT,N !

From the Network Rail website:

Vegetation clearance is due to start at the beginning of February 2015 (date to be confirmed), to progress with civils enabling and infrastructure work.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2015, 21:10:06 »

A 'heads up' for the newbie moderator FT,N !

From the Network Rail website:

Vegetation clearance is due to start at the beginning of February 2015 (date to be confirmed), to progress with civils enabling and infrastructure work.

Thank you, chuffed.

I had noticed that item, but have been too busy assimilating my new role to respond. (OK, in truth, it was Mrs FT,N!'s birthday, and I took her to the Metrolopse for a few days.) I shall keep my eyes peeled for anything noteworthy, and shall try to have a camera about me.

Having missed the drop-in info session in Easton in November (Mrs FT,N! again, this time Tenerife), I contacted NR» (Network Rail - home page) by the medium of Twitter, and was told there would be another in January. So far, no news despite my asking. I have a few questions, none of them hostile.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2015, 21:12:58 »

(OK, in truth, it was Mrs FT,N!'s birthday, and I took her to the Metrolopse for a few days.)

(snip)

(Mrs FT,N! again, this time Tenerife)

Should we have made Mrs FT,N! moderator me thinks - she is obviously much better at decision making!   Grin Grin
coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2015, 15:05:38 »

Number of things noticed today.

At Stapleton Road there was a company boring soil test holes in the old track bed where the farm use to be.

White water filled barriers have been place up Filton bank from the access point by the Ford dealership up to Horfield Station

Also seen in a number of locations over the past few days have been a group taking pictures of the vegetation that needs clearing lineside.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2015, 21:43:47 »

Should we have made Mrs FT,N! moderator me thinks - she is obviously much better at decision making!   Grin Grin

I wouldn't always regard her as moderate...

In any case, she has the standard view of trains, as being mystical but seeming to turn up reasonably close to time. On our recent sojourn (SWT (South West Trains) to Waterloo up, FGW (First Great Western) from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) down), there were many times when she wondered how I knew so much detail about what was going on. All garnered from FGW Coffee Shop over the years!

I would have made the November drop-in but for my family. No sooner had I put the phone down from booking our apartment in Tenerife for the end of November / beginning of December than my youngest daughter rang to inform us she was expecting her second child at the end of November / beginning of December. Thankfully, I hadn't got around to booking flights, and the people in Tenerife couldn't have been more helpful in rearranging my week in the sun.

And on 30 November, I became Four Grandchildren, Now!

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2015, 02:01:49 »

Congratulations Gramps!  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2015, 20:07:39 »

Number of things noticed today.

At Stapleton Road there was a company boring soil test holes in the old track bed where the farm use to be.

White water filled barriers have been place up Filton bank from the access point by the Ford dealership up to Horfield Station

Also seen in a number of locations over the past few days have been a group taking pictures of the vegetation that needs clearing lineside.

Some sign of movement at last...and the electrification is getting closer day by day.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 20:37:32 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2015, 20:09:57 »

Congratulations Gramps!  Tongue Wink Grin

and congrats from me too!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2015, 22:12:20 »

I notice the Network Rail GWR (Great Western Railway) Electrification page regarding the Bristol area is PR (Public Relations) managing a delay in the Filton Bank vegetation clearing by repeatedly postponing the start dates "to be confirmed" by small increments until they can announce no more work until after the nesting season.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: