Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:38:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335650 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2016, 22:20:59 »

It is to be replaced. That is going to be fun! Until July, I shall be working next to it, and shall watch with interest.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2016, 00:59:10 »

It is to be replaced.

Quite frankly, it may even have collapsed in the meantime.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2016, 09:24:05 »

In past jobs elsewhere in the country, the new bridge has been built alongside the site, then rolled into place. I'm not sure there is room here, with the M32 on one side and the station on the other side. Given that the road was closed for nearly 2 weeks for the pointing and truss rod work to the stone bridge, I have a feeling that there will be another closure to allow for craning of the main component parts. I had hoped to see a temporary line from Dr Days junction for removal of scrap and delivery of new components, track, ballast etc.

Easton Road bridge, taking the road over the railway, is the next major structure towards Temple Meads. That is to be replaced. The road is now closed until 8 April. A temporary bridge is being constructed to carry pedestrians and utilities. I believe the bridge will then be demolished and the new deck beams put into place during a late May Bank Holiday 76 hour possession, with work then continuing until early 2017. Details are in Network Rail's City of Bristol information page. The February newsletter gives more information, as does the letter to residents.

The new four-tracked railway will not be electrified when it first opens, but provision is obviously going to be made to make that part as easy as possible.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2016, 09:37:07 »

From FT,N!'s pictures, it looks like they are levelling a largish area adjacent to the gas facility immediately to the north-west of the M32. Would it be reasonable to assume that the new bridge will largely be assembled there, and then slid into place? Sounds easy if you say it quickly...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2016, 09:40:02 »

Easton Road bridge, taking the road over the railway, is the next major structure towards Temple Meads. That is to be replaced. The road is now closed until 8 April. A temporary bridge is being constructed to carry pedestrians and utilities. I believe the bridge will then be demolished and the new deck beams put into place during a late May Bank Holiday 76 hour possession, with work then continuing until early 2017. Details are in Network Rail's City of Bristol information page. The February newsletter gives more information, as does the letter to residents.

Thanks for that information on the Easton Rd over bridge. I was merely guessing about the reason for the adjacent scaffold bridge. I guess this will be extended over the operational railway imminently.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2016, 09:50:28 »

Looks like things could be fun over the next  12 months or so on the M32.  Be glad when the roadworks are done sick to death of my coach being delayed when I drive along that stretch.

gonna be fun tonight since I am coming into Bristol around 1815.

Anyway like many of us I will be glad to see the 4 tracking done down Filton Bank it cant come soon enough and should help sort out reliability of services
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2016, 11:30:41 »

Looks like things could be fun over the next  12 months or so on the M32.  Be glad when the roadworks are done sick to death of my coach being delayed when I drive along that stretch.

gonna be fun tonight since I am coming into Bristol around 1815.

Anyway like many of us I will be glad to see the 4 tracking done down Filton Bank it cant come soon enough and should help sort out reliability of services

Those roadworks are for the stupid MetroBust. I don't think the four-tracking work will impact on the M32. The bridge over that is OK, with maybe a lick of paint.

Now, please!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2016, 11:59:09 »

I am sure we will all be glad to see the 4 tracks being used and better rail services
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2016, 12:49:27 »

I am sure we will all be glad to see the 4 tracks being used and better rail services

I certainly will, but you knew that already.

This really is the key to all the other planned improvements. Filton Abbey Wood and Parkway will both gain a platform. Parallel moves out of Parkway for Bristol and South Wales will be possible, and there will be room for stopping services from Cardiff, Henbury and Severn Beach, providing a decent coverage of the local stations.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 13:07:54 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2016, 16:04:27 »

It is to be replaced
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2016, 08:49:48 »

Has anyone seen plans for upgrading Filton Abbey Wood.  Is that to be tracks?  How many Platforms?

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2016, 10:34:04 »

Has anyone seen plans for upgrading Filton Abbey Wood.  Is that to be tracks?  How many Platforms?

No track drawings that I have found, but the latest description still refers to an additional platform there.  That implies four tracking all the way from Dr Days Jn to just north of Filton Abbey Wood where presumably the four tracking becomes two pairs, one towards Bristol Parkway, and the other towards Patchway?

Paul

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2016, 20:04:57 »

My reading of the situation too, paul7755. That would mean a split at Abbey Wood, with two platforms for Wales and two for Parkway and beyond, if that was the best way of running things.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2016, 20:49:58 »

The last (and first) time the line was made up from two to four tracks, less than 100 years ago, Filton Junction station already had four platforms. That had been done when the junction at Filton, and the line from Westerleigh to Avonmouth, were built not long before the WW1. The line was evidently operated as two pairs not just at Filton but after that down into Bristol too. Whether that sheds any light on what is the preferred design now is another matter altogether.

PS: I see that the West Loop (SW chord) was also double track, but the NW chord was an embankment with no track until well after WW2.
Stroud Valleys

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2016, 14:50:29 »

Are there any diagrams/drawings of the proposed plans by Networking Rail for the four track, especially arrangements at Filton Abbey Wood and the Bristol Temple Mead ends?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: