Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:19:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335653 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2016, 15:39:00 »

So, the end of CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019)!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2016, 16:04:27 »

So, the end of CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019)!
But only if Dec 18 is considered the same as March 2019...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2017, 16:24:45 »

I had a few spare minutes today, so I thought I would go take a look at the railway, and see if there is any sign of work on the four tracking. And there was! It wasn't easy to photograph at Bonnington Walk because of the enhanced bridge for the electrification that isn't coming:

Looking towards Filton Abbey Wood:

Looking towards Temple Meads, it seems that the northbound platform of what was Horfield station has gone, although the southbound remains:

There is now a cycle and pedestrian pathway:

Looking north from Constable Road, the clearance work is obvious:

A crafty change of lens to the 75-300 mm gives us more of an insight into what is happening:

Looking the opposite way, towards Ashley Down, the access road can be seen:

More orange army in the distance:

Finally for today, I am on the site of the former Ashley Down station, where work progresses. Looking north:

and south, towards Narroways:

In short, it looks like things are happening. Four Track, Soon!

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2017, 16:37:06 »

And well done to Four Track soon to be completed for keeping us all up to speed and up to date. I can hardly wait for the day when he calls himself Four Track Finished, And I Told You It Was Gonna Happen, And You Didn't Believe Me.....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 16:55:44 by chuffed » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2017, 16:45:33 »

Yes, thanks for the photos. Is the cutting between Bonnington Walk and FAW actually steeper than it used to be or does it just look that way without the vegetation and rubbish? By the way, there always a cycle/pedestrian path in both directions from Bonnington Walk (ie to FAW and to Constable Rd). It's part of what they call the Concorde Way. They might well have altered it though. Oh, and in the 8th and 9th photos, looking south from Constable Rd, is that the remains of the old footbridge visible?

And well done to Four Track soon to be completed for keeping us all up to speed and up to date. I can hardly wait tof the day when he calls himself Four Track Finished, And I Told You It Was Gonna Happen, And You Didn't Believe Me.....

Cheesy Or maybe even Four Track Now and I'm Happy!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2017, 16:57:43 »

Happy ?? He be as ****** as a newt. Oooops, perhaps I shouldn't mention them ! Me, and my big mouth..... Roll Eyes
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2017, 18:25:21 »

Yes, thanks for the photos. Is the cutting between Bonnington Walk and FAW actually steeper than it used to be or does it just look that way without the vegetation and rubbish?

I think it has been cut back to pre-1984 levels, which always looks severe.

By the way, there always a cycle/pedestrian path in both directions from Bonnington Walk (ie to FAW and to Constable Rd). It's part of what they call the Concorde Way. They might well have altered it though.

They have.

Oh, and in the 8th and 9th photos, looking south from Constable Rd, is that the remains of the old footbridge visible?

I didn't know there was a bridge there!

And well done to Four Track soon to be completed for keeping us all up to speed and up to date. I can hardly wait for the day when he calls himself Four Track Finished, And I Told You It Was Gonna Happen, And You Didn't Believe Me.....

Cheesy Or maybe even Four Track Now and I'm Happy!

I might just change it to Tony. Until there are four shiny tracks along there, though, the nom de guerre will remain as the handle.

Happy ?? He be as ****** as a newt. Oooops, perhaps I shouldn't mention them ! Me, and my big mouth..... Roll Eyes

Steady now! Just coming out with the N-word like that - there's no call for that.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 22:19:43 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2017, 18:30:01 »

As it happens I went to Station Rd Ashley Down this lunchtime to have a look see myself.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2017, 19:30:10 »

As it happens I went to Station Rd Ashley Down this lunchtime to have a look see myself.

Exactly where I was at 2.45 pm. Blast - we could have gone for a pint!

Now, please!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2017, 19:31:51 »

Are you sure you're not the same person?
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2017, 20:38:11 »

Are you sure you're not the same person?

I hadn't thought of that. I could have had that pint!

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2017, 20:46:21 »

Thank you, you can see quite what a serious bit of engineering it is, far more than just cutting back a few bushes and spreading a bit of gravel ;-)

I believe that work is due to start on the replacement Stapleton Road bridge in the next few weeks.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2017, 20:55:31 »

Maybe next time let me know  Cheesy.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2017, 22:17:53 »

Thank you, you can see quite what a serious bit of engineering it is, far more than just cutting back a few bushes and spreading a bit of gravel ;-)
Indeed!

I believe that work is due to start on the replacement Stapleton Road bridge in the next few weeks.

I ran out of time today, or I would have taken a look. I worked across the road from there, but left in June last year, so I don't see it daily as I used to. I did notice that the ballast has been largely cleared off the knackered bridge last week when I passed through on the train. I might try to take a look in the next few days.

Sugar Loaf?

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2017, 22:38:33 »

Last time I was in the Loaf was twenty or more years ago what's it like these days ?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: