Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
21:05 St Ives to St Erth
21:20 St Erth to St Ives
Additional 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
21:37 St Ives to St Erth
22:21 St Erth to St Ives
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
22:48 St Ives to Penzance
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 21:08:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 336913 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2017, 20:35:42 »

Not exactly a 4 tracking post or an electrification one but did notice at Bristol Parkway yesterday that the new platform wall has been backfilled with what looks like spent ballast and the the old metal back wall has been removed and replaced with temporary barriers. Looks like it's soon ready for surfacing. Not sure when it's supposed to open though.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2017, 20:51:10 »

Not exactly a 4 tracking post or an electrification one but did notice at Bristol Parkway yesterday that the new platform wall has been backfilled with what looks like spent ballast and the the old metal back wall has been removed and replaced with temporary barriers. Looks like it's soon ready for surfacing. Not sure when it's supposed to open though.

I was told 'by Christmas', 23rd or 24th December from a trusted source if not sooner.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2017, 21:04:24 »

I was told 'by Christmas', 23rd or 24th December from a trusted source if not sooner.

It looks like the services are all in and ready for connection so all that's left would be the Christmas lights.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2017, 09:31:20 »

Rather more on topic, does this means Parkway will beat Abbey Wood in the (imaginary, in my mind only) race to open their new platforms? I suppose Parkway has the advantage of the track actually being in-situ.
Cruithne3753

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2017, 17:43:13 »

Right, I'm puzzled.  What I thought looked like it was going to be new track bed at Filton Abbey Wood is being raised into a sort of hump...?

Matt
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2017, 18:50:38 »

Right, I'm puzzled.  What I thought looked like it was going to be new track bed at Filton Abbey Wood is being raised into a sort of hump...?

I was there is afternoon with kid bro looking at progress briefly. Didn't notice anything. Whereabouts was it? Could possibly be the area where the 4th platform is going. Could even be a temporary bit of shifted earth?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2017, 21:13:14 »

I think underneath it all, may be MARK my words, just a HOP skip and a jump away,may be the contrived ending of the work at Filton Abbey WOOD..... Roll Eyes
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2017, 23:59:52 »

I think underneath it all, may be MARK my words, just a HOP skip and a jump away,may be the contrived ending of the work at Filton Abbey WOOD..... Roll Eyes

I see what you did there, chuffed (eventually)!

"He sleeps with the fishplates"?

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2017, 13:28:29 »

Had a look at the local press and the Network Rail website but all seems very quiet about Parkway at the moment so I guess the new platform hasn't opened yet. That said, I wouldn't expect the lord mayor, local dignitaries and massed marching bands to accompany the opening of a platform but some blurb from NR» (Network Rail - home page) to announce this modest achievement might be appropriate.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 14:10:46 by johnneyw » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2017, 15:16:21 »

That said, I wouldn't expect the lord mayor... to accompany the opening of a platform

Would that be the Lord Mayor of Thornbury?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 28, 2017, 15:42:52 »

That said, I wouldn't expect the lord mayor... to accompany the opening of a platform

I was using the term rather generally but Ms Harrison would be a candidate there I'm sure.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2017, 16:51:04 »

No I don't think so, with my knowledge of the local area I would think the Lord Mayor of Stoke Gifford would be the most appropriate civic dignitary to attend if invites were being issued. I'll be passing through Parkway tomorrow so I'll post a progress report but passing through Westerleigh Village yesterday I couldn't see any additions to the already installed steelwork from which I reported on the 21st December. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2017, 16:58:34 »

The December Operating Changes booklet all drivers have been given (19 pages of light reading!) says the following:

New Platform 1

From Sunday 31 December 2017, the new Bristol Parkway Platform 1
(on the Down Bristol Parkway Passenger Loop line) will be brought
into operational use. The platform length will be 280 metres.
An ‘S’ and IET (Intercity Express Train) ‘S’ Platform Stop Markers will be provided 10 metres
before the Bristol end of the platform.
The 3-state Banner Repeating signal BL1513BR is situated 162 metres
on approach to the platform starting signal BL1513.
Platform starting signal BL1513 is located just beyond the far end of
Platform 1 and is located on the right hand side.

Train Dispatch

Platform 1 starting signal BL1513 is obscured, to Guards and
Dispatchers, by the stairs leading off of the platform, so two ‘off’
indicators have been provided.
All platforms have the same method of dispatch in the down direction.
Please note this is a new platform to customers and colleagues alike, so
please take additional care to avoid any PTI incidents.

Platform 3 & 4
From Sunday 31 December 2017, Bristol Parkway Platform 2, 3 & 4
extensions come in to use. The platforms will be 280m long.
The PSMs on platform 3 & 4 for Class 80x services , in the Up direction,
will be moved 30 metres towards London.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2017, 19:47:44 »

The December Operating Changes booklet all drivers have been given (19 pages of light reading!) says the following:

Many thanks ... just checking abbreviations:

PTI - Passenger Train Interface ?
PSM - Platform Stop Marker (?) - that one is defined earlier in the text

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2017, 20:16:10 »

Many thanks ... just checking abbreviations:

PTI - Passenger Train Interface ?

Isn't that the seat - or in the case of long distance services to the Westcountry, the floor   Wink Cheesy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: