Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:35:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335638 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 07, 2018, 14:17:02 »

PTI = Platform - Train Interface.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2018, 06:23:02 »

Inspired by a wave of extra activities ... I have a question.  "What is the cost of the 4 track on Filton Bank project" and a corollary "is that cost included in or extra to the MetroWest budget / cost".

Quick look, I found Rail Technology Magazine from 4 years ago talking of a £33 milliion contract ( "Work to double the railway lines will begin in December 2014 and will be undertaken by Taylor Woodrow, following the award of a £33m contract by Network Rail.") but I wonder (a) is that the complete cost or are other contracts involved (and indeed there's Network Rail's own associated costs) and (b) is the figure current.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2018, 09:59:57 »

Well Grahame, for starters the TW contract doesn't include the signalling work as that is part of the ongoing BARS (Bristol Area Resignalling Scheme) project being carried out by ALSTOM.  Having seen the signalling plan for 4T, I would estimate that element of the work to them to be about £2-3M.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2018, 12:05:53 »

I would be astonished if the track work alone could be done for £33 million. The amount of work done so far is remarkable. The whole line has been reinforced and cleared, the bridge at Stapleton Road has been demolished in readiness for a new one, and there is still a long way to go before the easy bit - laying the rails - happens. Some work will have been done under the aegis of the paused electrification work or resignalling, so will appear under different headings in the accounts, but I seem to recall a figure of around £90 million being mentioned some time back.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2018, 12:53:13 »

Inspired by a wave of extra activities ... I have a question.  "What is the cost of the 4 track on Filton Bank project" and a corollary "is that cost included in or extra to the MetroWest budget / cost".

Quick look, I found Rail Technology Magazine from 4 years ago talking of a £33 milliion contract ( "Work to double the railway lines will begin in December 2014 and will be undertaken by Taylor Woodrow, following the award of a £33m contract by Network Rail.") but I wonder (a) is that the complete cost or are other contracts involved (and indeed there's Network Rail's own associated costs) and (b) is the figure current.

Here's another report, this time from Construction News, that says a bit more about what work is included in the £33M:
Network Rail awards Taylor Woodrow £33m track upgrade
 31 October, 2014 By Lucy Mair

Network Rail has appointed Taylor Woodrow to deliver a three-year £33m track upgrade package in Bristol.

The contractor will increase the rail capacity from two tracks to four along a 15 km route from Dr Days Junction to Filton Abbey Wood Station in Bristol.

It will also replace or enhance 17 structures along the route, including four bridge reconstructions for electrification clearance and the refurbishment of two stations.

Taylor Woodrow project director Richard Hogg said: “This scheme is essential to deliver Network Rail’s vision of improving the Great Western Railway Network to help boost the local economy and will enable passengers to commute more easily around the Bristol area.

“The improvements to the infrastructure will make rail transport even more efficient and help reduce journey times; we are greatly looking forward to working with Network Rail on this important scheme.”

That doesn't say in as many words that no civils works were done under other contracts, so it's still possible that the replacement of Stapleton Road viaduct was - but the obvious reading of the text is that TW are doing the whole thing.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2018, 16:08:39 »

That doesn't say in as many words that no civils works were done under other contracts, so it's still possible that the replacement of Stapleton Road viaduct was - but the obvious reading of the text is that TW are doing the whole thing.

In which case, it looks a bargain. The Stapleton Road viaduct needed a complete rebuild anyway, so may have been excluded from the figures, but even so there has been a tremendous amount of work. The rebuild of the Easton Road bridge alone must have cost a pretty penny.
15Km - presumably that is 7.5Km each way? Because it's less than 4 miles from Dr Days to Filton Junction.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 16:27:13 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2018, 02:31:17 »

Browsing during the night ... some interesting official GWR (Great Western Railway) pictures from the 1930s from the Bristol Railway Archives http://bristol-rail.co.uk showing Ashley Hill and Horfield stations.

Both shown on some of the FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) suggestions ... what chance?  Any of the four track work being done in such a way as to protect the site(s) at least for platforms on what will become the slow (or will they be know as relief?) lines?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2018, 08:39:56 »

Grahame, the WR diesn't do FAST (Federation Against Software Theft) and SLOW lines its always MAIN or RELIEF lines........
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2018, 08:54:18 »

Browsing during the night ... some interesting official GWR (Great Western Railway) pictures from the 1930s from the Bristol Railway Archives http://bristol-rail.co.uk showing Ashley Hill and Horfield stations.

Both shown on some of the FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) suggestions ... what chance?  Any of the four track work being done in such a way as to protect the site(s) at least for platforms on what will become the slow (or will they be know as relief?) lines?

The Horfield site, shown on the photo, has not been chosen as a potential new station according to what I have read. Consequently, I think a lot of the bank reinforcement work there has made no passive provision for a platform.
The picture itself seems to show the station after it had closed as the access routes and  the wooden ticket office by the bridge have gone.
If you are heading north along the line you can still see recesses in the bridge structure on the left hand side where one or two of the wooden joists for the ticket office were fixed to to the bridge itself (the other support being posts into the bank).
I'll attempt to add a photo showing the station with ticket office in a while.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2018, 08:59:46 »

Horfield Station the aforementioned ticket office and access routes.

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/w/images/5/51/Horfield6.jpg
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2018, 09:18:01 »

Horfield didn't have a signalbox, the signals shown were the up relief and up main homes the main line being the pair of lines on the right in the photograph, the box operating those signals was Filton Incline Box the following box being Filton Junction box, a box I spent many hours in with my schoolmate train spotting in summer school holidays as his father was a signalman there.

Snowing in Yate right now, ahead of forecasts.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2018, 13:19:47 »

Grahame, the WR diesn't do FAST (Federation Against Software Theft) and SLOW lines its always MAIN or RELIEF lines........
As it "It would be a relief to have some lines"?  Grin

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2018, 13:20:35 »

I think the mooted site for a possible new Horfield station is further south, on Constable Road? And even then IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the line seems to be that there is only capacity for one more station and the favoured one is Ashley Hill.

Nice photos by the way.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2018, 17:19:35 »

Bmblzzz, that's correct. The preferred site for a Horfield station is by the Constable Road bridge. But that is only preferred as in where the local residents and councillors would like it. So far, there is no official body supporting the idea.

The work to prepare the trackbed for the new lines to go beneath the Bonnington Walk bridge seems to have obliterated the northbound former platform. The southbound may have gone too - it isn't easy to see or photograph over the bridge since the walls were raised for electrification work. I might be able to post some pictures when I get home (from a country that has had no passenger railways for 67 years).

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2018, 18:07:49 »

If you want to get a good view of the works at Bonnington Walk, try Constable Rd overbridge. For some reason its parapet has not yet been raised.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: