Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:16:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335691 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2018, 18:33:56 »

Constable Road is easier to construct a step free access to platforms.

When a child we used to walk to Ashley Hill station although we lived in Horfield as there was no step free access to the platforms at Horfield for brother then sister in the pram. We crossed the lines using the barrow crossing.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2018, 21:44:24 »

I had a trip down the M32 today for the first time in a while.  The new north abutment for Stapleton Road Bridge seems to be in place and there was a large crane in the folded position and what seemed to be a DIY steel bridge deck kit next to it.  Looks like the Easter shutdown could also be used to put that in place.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2018, 09:20:58 »

The DIY steel bridge deck kit probably came from Ikea just the other side of the M32.  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 22, 2018, 11:22:39 »

The DIY steel bridge deck kit probably came from Ikea just the other side of the M32.  Cheesy
Hope it is open on the Tuesday when they have almost finished and there are 2 nuts and a washer missing.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2018, 21:12:39 »

To celebrate my first day of doing proper part time working hours, I took a midday detour home to see how the new platform at Filton Abbey Wood was coming on. Clearly some way to go but without doubt getting there. No pics sorry but well past elementary ground work.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2018, 23:09:28 »

If you want to get a good view of the works at Bonnington Walk, try Constable Rd overbridge. For some reason its parapet has not yet been raised.

I've used that a few times with the telephoto lens. Here's the latest:

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2018, 09:29:37 »

I would be astonished if the track work alone could be done for £33 million. The amount of work done so far is remarkable. The whole line has been reinforced and cleared, the bridge at Stapleton Road has been demolished in readiness for a new one, and there is still a long way to go before the easy bit - laying the rails - happens. Some work will have been done under the aegis of the paused electrification work or resignalling, so will appear under different headings in the accounts, but I seem to recall a figure of around £90 million being mentioned some time back.

Chatting with someone really well in the know this morning, and he came up with a fairly tight band (10% from base to top) with that figure in the middle.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2018, 19:59:53 »

Chatting with someone really well in the know this morning, and he came up with a fairly tight band (10% from base to top) with that figure in the middle.

Considering what has been done, it's still a bargain.

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2018, 20:59:49 »

I can confirm that the Filton 4 Tracking Project signalling scheme has made passive provision for a new 4 platform station at Ashley Hill.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 28, 2018, 11:34:45 »

Four platforms? That seems to run counter to the idea of having two fast through lines and two for stopping trains. Good to have it there, though. And good to have the whole thing there, seconding its bargainness!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2018, 16:33:49 »

I can confirm that the Filton 4 Tracking Project signalling scheme has made passive provision for a new 4 platform station at Ashley Hill.

Four platforms? That seems to run counter to the idea of having two fast through lines and two for stopping trains. Good to have it there, though. And good to have the whole thing there, seconding its bargainness!

Good news! I suppose the four platforms adds flexibility in case one of the slower lines is closed.

I didn't get that far today, although I had intended to have a look around the whole project. Instead, I called into Stapleton Road again to see what's occurring. This is a time of great activity, it happens!

The first thing of note is the temporary exit from the Temple Meads-bound platform, P2. The space formerly occupied by, and soon to be again occupied by, two lines has been levelled further, and contains the Mobile Welfare Unit. I thought this might contain a couple of social workers, some bean bags, crayons, maybe a psychiatrist, but I think it's just the brew hut on wheels.

Every temporary exit must have a temporary entrance:

Looking the other way, the space between the former platforms 3 and 4 has bee filled in and levelled, no doubt temporarily to allow free movement of men and machines behind an equally temporary fence:

Looking back over that area from further along the plaltform:

And now, laydeez and gennermen, from the far northern end of P2, your first sight of the new viaduct, intentionally of a rusty appearance, sitting quietly between Stapleton Road and the M32, and awaiting installation in June this year:

If ellendunne is right, it came from the nearby Big Stupid Place, as Ikea was once known in adverts, and is called something like Trolleboda*

A further glimpse of the bridge from the station approach:

Work on the northern abutment continues:

A slightly wider view, including the booth where the diggers pay for parking:

The abutment on the southern side seems as ready as it has ever been:

And my final shot is of the whole hole, soon to be bridged:

The schedule is for the viaduct to be installed in June, with Stapleton Road being closed for a period yet to be specified. Track formation work will begin very soon after that, with completion by November, and opening of the line in December, just in time for the January 2019 new timetable.There is a factsheet by National Rail covering the Stapleton Road work,  and a further NR» (Network Rail - home page) document covering all of the work in Bristol.

(*Many of the names given to products offered in Ikea are names of towns and villages in Sweden. My niece worked for Ikea all around the world, and said that it was strange, when she was in Sweden, to see buses going to a wardrobe or table)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 16:50:25 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 28, 2018, 16:55:40 »

Am I correct that this will be a two span bridge and that only one span is currently on site?  Or is it just the angle of the photograph making the deck seem shorter than it is.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 28, 2018, 17:23:58 »

Am I correct that this will be a two span bridge and that only one span is currently on site?  Or is it just the angle of the photograph making the deck seem shorter than it is.

As planned for planning in 2015 it was to have 3x20m spans. I think that picture looks like the whole thing, assuming it's not been replanned much since.

As for its being "intentionally of a rusty appearance", that's called a "weathering steel finish", that is. Apart from that it looks almost traditional in design, if decidedly post-Victorian. Except perhaps for the plastic walkway along the side, which is the reason for all those closely-spaced supports sticking out of it.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 28, 2018, 20:18:06 »

As for its being "intentionally of a rusty appearance", that's called a "weathering steel finish", that is. Apart from that it looks almost traditional in design, if decidedly post-Victorian.

I couldn't remember the jargon! My description was not a criticism - I like the look of it.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2018, 20:23:05 »

And progress at Lawrence Hill ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: