19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 02:36:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 337116 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2018, 17:35:39 »

Grahame, dont forget that in an ealier post I mentioned passive provision for ASHLEY HILL station with platforms on all four lines.  I think in the case of STAPLETON ROAD and LAWRENCE HILL we are looking at GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 3 optioneering out new platforms on the MAIN lines for those stations on cost grounds...... Angry
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2018, 17:56:48 »

I was slightly surprised to see what I saw. Sometimes you see a waggon loaded with track sections, and it's a length of rails with sleepers attached. I always thought that's how track was laid – sections of ready-assembled rail and sleepers put in position then welded together. But no, it seems that in some cases at least, the sleepers are laid down (with extras and/or mistakes!) then, presumably the rails attached.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 08, 2018, 17:58:33 »

Musical chains:
https://youtu.be/pIgZ7gMze7A

https://youtu.be/GZw_8PBdSfA

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 08, 2018, 19:09:30 »

As I have said quite a few times on this forum now the WR doesn't do FAST (Federation Against Software Theft), SLOW or LOCAL lines...

Being a pedant myself, I can only apologise for falling foul of this shibboleth. Just to be completely clear, though, does 'WR' refer to the Western Region of British Railways? Because that ceased to exist in 1992... Wink

As to the question of how the track will be laid, maybe something like this will be used? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLwO6u1J-w0

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 08, 2018, 19:46:59 »

As to the question of how the track will be laid, maybe something like this will be used? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLwO6u1J-w0
I'm hoping for something like this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jrmZIgVoQw4
(1m30 in)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 08, 2018, 23:46:01 »

I totally understand that "main" and "relief" are a tradition that goes back to Marc Brunel. 
Did he employ these terms when designing block pulley making machinery, or when designing the Thames Tunnel?  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 08, 2018, 23:49:40 »

Being a pedant myself, I can only apologise for falling foul of this shibboleth. Just to be completely clear, though, does 'WR' refer to the Western Region of British Railways? Because that ceased to exist in 1992... Wink

It should of course be NR» (Network Rail - home page)(W) these days.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 09, 2018, 09:32:14 »

I'm hoping for something like this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jrmZIgVoQw4
(1m30 in)
Or maybe it will be like the scene with the train crossing the canyon in Back to the Future 3, there'll just be a flash of light and we'll wake up in the future?

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 09, 2018, 12:44:07 »

I was slightly surprised to see what I saw. Sometimes you see a waggon loaded with track sections, and it's a length of rails with sleepers attached. I always thought that's how track was laid – sections of ready-assembled rail and sleepers put in position then welded together. But no, it seems that in some cases at least, the sleepers are laid down (with extras and/or mistakes!) then, presumably the rails attached.

I think a lot depends on what is there already.   Short panels have their uses, particular in areas of dense S&C (Settle and Carlisle ), but if the final requirement is for continuous welded rail, and there are existing tracks to work from, (like in the case of four tracking an existing two track railway), I expect it is quicker to deliver the LWR strings (216 metres each) using the normal delivery trains, and then work from the existing railway using road rail machines for the nearest track installation on prepared sleepers, and then work from that track when complete to do the second (further) new track.

Added a video, showing how an RRV (Road Rail Vehicle) can transfer a dropped LWR onto positioned sleepers, starts about 2 mins in:  https://youtu.be/SupWOAddodw

I think the 'new track machine' in the video being used on the Borders, and the similar Balfour Beatty blue coloured machine are more useful when installing a single track for the first time where they are either working from one end to another, or they are installing the first track on a completely new formation, such as when the Bermondsey dive under work was in progress.

Paul
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 14:36:14 by paul7755 » Logged
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2018, 12:50:30 »

So which were 'MAIN' and 'RELIEF' lines through Stapleton Road/Lawrence Hill?

Regarding tackbed height, it looks considerably lower on the reinstated route and far lower than would make the old platforms viable.

Will it be only on the RELIEF (Northern) section that will require dual running signalling?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2018, 13:06:05 »

Regarding tackbed height, it looks considerably lower on the reinstated route and far lower than would make the old platforms viable.

Will it be only on the RELIEF (Northern) section that will require dual running signalling?

As posted above. The RELIEF lines pass through the existing STAPLETON ROAD and LAWRENCE HILL station platforms.

Not sure what you mean by dual running?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2018, 13:27:20 »

Except that if you have ever boarded a train at either station, you will realise what a step up to the train it is. I had to give a rather elderly lady a bunk-up at SRD one day, an experience I would prefer not to repeat. I left it to the crew to help her down at Lawrence Hill.

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2018, 14:06:27 »

Except that if you have ever boarded a train at either station, you will realise what a step up to the train it is. I had to give a rather elderly lady a bunk-up at SRD one day, an experience I would prefer not to repeat. I left it to the crew to help her down at Lawrence Hill.

Something like this perhaps!."

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BNYDH6/benny-hill-the-italian-job-1969-BNYDH6.jpg
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2018, 14:28:08 »

Some photos from Constable Road. Not good quality I'm afraid, FT,N!'s will be much better.

Those are much better than I can do for now!

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2018, 19:10:01 »

In the track laying videos, I'm surprised at how flexible the rails are. It's like a giant ferrous spaghetti machine! But I suppose that once they're fastened to the sleepers, that provides lateral rigidity, so as long as the rail is stiff in a vertical plane, that's all it needs.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: