Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
08:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
10:06 London Paddington to Newbury
10:08 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
10:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
10:24 Newbury to London Paddington
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 11:05:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[53] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] IETs at Melksham
[32] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[30] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[28] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[20] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 337047 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 26, 2018, 10:22:50 »

As promised above here is the diagram.

Just a minor point, isn't the current line from North Somerset Junction to Dr. Days Junction (neither shown on diagram) a two way line to allow access to SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) from the Lawrence Hill direction. Issue 3 beckons ?

Yes. I can't update the drawing again just yet as I'm still standing in the corner of the room wearing my Dunces hat after the last error... Grin
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:28:48 by SandTEngineer » Logged
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 26, 2018, 10:41:10 »

As promised above here is the diagram.  If you have any questions please ask. Apologies, but I can't seem to get it to fit to the screen width

Excellent stuff, thanks SandTEngineer!

Tho it does back up my original concerns about the FIT to BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) bottleneck only getting worse than currently...

They've kept all of the crossovers from the S Wales lines at Filton Junction, meaning all 4 platforms at FIT can be accessed by trains between BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and S Wales, but still leaving only platforms 1 and 2 for all BPW traffic

At the moment the off peak service is 2 tph each way between BRI and S Wales, whereas there are 2 'local' tph each way between BRI and BPW plus 2 mainline XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) tph each way between BRI and BPW, thereby doubling the amount needing platforms 1 and 2 at FIT compared to those at platforms 3 and 4

Also with the introduction of the new BRI - BPW - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) 2 tph IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) services scheduled to run that will make a total of 6 tph each way going thru platforms 1 and 2 at FIT, with still just 2 each way thru platforms 3 and 4

I take it the new 'flagship' IEP services and XC services will always be given priority over local services between BPW and the new Horfield Junction where the new main to relief crossovers are being put in, which will surely only mean further delays and even more of a bottleneck?

And that's before they add any future additional local services that have always been mooted following the completion of the upgrade works

Surely it would make more sense to have the crossovers the other way around at Filton Junction allowing all BPW services to access all 4 FIT platforms?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:55:32 by metalrail » Logged

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 26, 2018, 10:52:50 »

Thanks for that, SandTengineer! One question: what exactly is "recovered track"?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 26, 2018, 10:58:08 »

Existing track to be removed

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 26, 2018, 13:45:51 »

For my two pennorth, I'm confused as to why there's passive provision for a 4-platform station at Ashley Hill but not at Stapleton Rd...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 26, 2018, 15:18:56 »

For my two pennorth, I'm confused as to why there's passive provision for a 4-platform station at Ashley Hill but not at Stapleton Rd...

Does seem weird...  FIT makes sense as it's where the line splits, and it was rebuilt there specifically for the MOD

But seeing as SRD already has 4 platforms (albeit currently half buried), and LWH still has it's island platform with plenty of room to reinstate the 4th if they cut the vegetation back to the boundary, Ashley Hill having 4 is confusing

Could understand it if the new Horfield Junction on the map with the crossovers between relief and main lines was between SRD and Ashley Hill in case they had to re-route trains if the relief lines were out of action due to track circuit failure / broken down train etc., but Ashley Hill is obviously before that junction

Obviously only the current platforms at SRD and LWH can serve the Severn Beach line with Narroways junction as it is, but any problem with the relief lines in that area would leave no platform provision at either of those stations

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 26, 2018, 17:13:48 »

Thanks for that, SandTengineer! One question: what exactly is "recovered track"?

In (mainline) railway signalling design practice the colours used are:

BLACK - Equipment/track to be retained unaltered
GREEN - Equipment/track to be removed/recovered (Green for GO)
RED - New Equipment/track (Red for STOP or ADD (Automatic Dropping Device))

Other colours are used to show options (e.g. BLUE, PURPLE or ORANGE)

Hope that is of interest?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:29:59 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 26, 2018, 17:17:20 »

Unfortunately there is no explanation on the signalling scheme drawing, it will be in the supporting paperwork somewhere, but I don't have access to that.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 26, 2018, 17:39:59 »

In railway signalling design the colours used are:

I should have been clearer in my question: Track to be retained unaltered is obvious, as is new track, but what does it mean that track is to be recovered? Does it mean it's already on site but will be taken from Position A and reused in Position B; so it's not actually new, but it is being altered?

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 26, 2018, 17:42:02 »

<cynically>It's so they can not build/restore platforms at SRD, by saying there is provision for 4 platforms at Ashley Hill, but not build those either because (reason to be inserted).</cynically>

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 26, 2018, 17:53:27 »

In railway signalling design the colours used are:

I should have been clearer in my question: Track to be retained unaltered is obvious, as is new track, but what does it mean that track is to be recovered? Does it mean it's already on site but will be taken from Position A and reused in Position B; so it's not actually new, but it is being altered?

It means its there today but will be taken away completely when the RED work is commissioned.  In the case of the drawing for example, a set of points shown in GREEN will be taken away when the scheme is commissioned (or in some cases, as part of stagework prior to that).
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:39 »

That's not what I had thought at all, so I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the explanation.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 08, 2018, 22:27:20 »

Has anyone had a look at the Filton Bank recently to see if there is any developments with the new sleepers paid between the two bridges? Not had a look since mid April.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 09, 2018, 12:16:28 »

Has anyone had a look at the Filton Bank recently to see if there is any developments with the new sleepers paid between the two bridges? Not had a look since mid April.

Yeah I saw on Monday that there's rails on most of those sleepers that had been laid before, plus a lot more sleepers and more track laid further down towards where the track slews over by Muller Road bridge.  I thought I was filming it again coming up Filton Bank, only to find when I got home i'd pressed the photo button instead of video and just had a crap blurry pic!  DOH!  Taking another one later today or tomorrow so will load it up then

metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 09, 2018, 15:59:18 »

We have Four Tracks, Now!  Well, in a couple of places anyway!  Wink

Lots more progress on todays trip since a few weeks ago...  loads more sleepers in place, plus rails laid onto the sleepers that had been laid before...  there's actually 4 tracks again in old Horfield station!  Would appear from where the new sleepers and rails are now in position that will be between where the new crossovers are to be installed from the new relief to the main lines.  Also a lot more work around FIT

Here's the journey up showing all the new sleeper and track work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgAHZ1k0U9o

And back down from FIT to LWH showing more trackbed work, and more work on the new SRD viaduct piers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAms61u0aE

Be very interesting to visit again next week after this weekends possession to see what progress has been made then
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 16:29:04 by metalrail » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: