Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:18:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335647 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 02, 2018, 09:57:10 »

I think the underlying principle of the four-tracking is to separate local and through traffic thus adding capacity.  If you run local traffic on the through lines you will reduce their capacity and negate the reasons for the four-tracking.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 02, 2018, 10:38:49 »

I think the underlying principle of the four-tracking is to separate local and through traffic thus adding capacity.  If you run local traffic on the through lines you will reduce their capacity and negate the reasons for the four-tracking.

I understand your point, but as an outside observer it seems to me that one of the bigger problems with the way railways are run these days is their inflexibility and lack of redundancy. Wouldn't retaining the main line platforms at Stapleton Road, together with perhaps a connection to the reliefs just south of Narroways Jct, have allowed greater flexibility?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 02, 2018, 11:50:45 »

Yeah that was my thinking on it too, not for general day to day running but more for redundancy.  The 4 track stretch between Didcot and London springs to mind, where a lot of the local stations in between still have platforms on all 4 lines, but generally only use the relief ones unless there's an operating incident - broken down train, points failure etc

Keeping the new through main lines free is great to free up what will be the new relief lines to run more local services, but as RS points out there doesn't seem to be any redundancy built in which seems like a bit of an oversight, seeing as the whole premise of re-instating the four track was to run more local trains more often

With no connection between the main and reliefs prior to Narroways in the up direction that will mean any issues with the relief lines between there and Dr Days will shut down all Severn Beach line services, plus with more services planned on that line on a greater frequency, and also the introduction of new services on the Henbury loop once the fast trains have been switched to the new main lines, building in redundancy to keep the local trains moving would seem to make more sense, especially as there's no crossovers from the main to relief lines anywhere up Filton Bank that I can see (I may be wrong) as they all seem to switch from relief to main, meaning that after Dr Days the first crossover from main to relief is north of FIT

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 02, 2018, 16:14:12 »

Ahem.  The modern day thrusting railway doesn't do 'redundancy', it only does 'just in time' (or in the case of NR» (Network Rail - home page)/GWR (Great Western Railway), 'just too late')...... Roll Eyes  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 16:23:04 by SandTEngineer » Logged
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 02, 2018, 17:07:24 »

A quick update on Stapleton Road Bridge. I was there at about 14.00 today watching the second section being installed. Got there just after 13.30 from Filton Abbey Wood with half an hour to wait for the Severn Riviera Express and the section was just being moved from where it had been stored. By the time I pulled out on the train it was nearly in place.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 02, 2018, 17:49:52 »

By way of answering my own question, I just found Prior Approval Notification 17/05003/RA - 'Prior approval notification of proposed extension of the Stapleton Road footbridge, as part of the Filton Bank Four Tracking rail project' on the Bristol Planning Portal:

All available land to the east of the station is to be filled with an access ramp for the extended footbridge, which will double back on itself three-and-a-half times to achieve the required slope and height. Most of Platform 2 will be filled with another access ramp which only doubles back once, mostly consisting of a long straight run laid out in such a way as to obstruct most of what could become Platform 3. There will be no ramp for Platform 1, presumably because there is level access from here to Belmont Road.

Just for the fun of it, I calculated how far someone with a buggy or wheelchair would have to go to get from Platform 1 to Platform 2. By my reckoning it is about 750m - is that a record?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #396 on: July 02, 2018, 19:36:39 »

Just for the fun of it, I calculated how far someone with a buggy or wheelchair would have to go to get from Platform 1 to Platform 2. By my reckoning it is about 750m - is that a record?

Not sure.   Would need to measure Trowbridge and Bradford-on-Avon, and I suspect Bridgwater and Weston-super-Mare may be quite long.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 02, 2018, 19:51:22 »

Not sure.   Would need to measure Trowbridge and Bradford-on-Avon, and I suspect Bridgwater and Weston-super-Mare may be quite long.

To be fair, most of the distance is what's already there, going down to Stapleton Road and back up again by a decidedly roundabout route. The Alpine bridge replacing the path across the track bed does add nearly 200 m though, being 6 m up and down at 1:15. The question is, how much is it worth Network Rail spending on a route between the two platforms if it doesn't form part of any likely intended journey?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 02, 2018, 21:03:27 »

I'd say the footbridge at Stapleton Rd forms part of a lot of intended and actual journeys every day, just not many of them involve a train.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 02, 2018, 21:21:45 »

The question is, how much is it worth Network Rail spending on a route between the two platforms if it doesn't form part of any likely intended journey?

And why not? If there is ever a Greater Bristol Metro or a proper MetroWest Rail with local trains every 10 to 15 minutes, what would be wrong with going Sea Mills to Abbey Wood, as an example, changing at Stapleton Road instead of going all the way to Temple Meads to change? Somebody probably does it already, although in the interesting times when we can predict the arrival of earthquakes with almost the same accuracy as the next train, it takes some balls.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 21:28:05 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 03, 2018, 08:35:42 »

Using the same rough-and-ready calculation, Trowbridge is about 460m; Bradford is under 400m assuming you can get to the south side through the park. Bridgwater is a footling 200m if you start at the station footbridge, rather less if you just want to get from the southern end one platform to the other. Weston-super-Mare - ah, now you're talking! At 650m, Weston comes close to the future Stapleton Road arrangement, and of course it is a clear winner if the gate is locked and you have to go back...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #401 on: July 03, 2018, 09:07:49 »

Weston-super-Mare - ah, now you're talking! At 650m, Weston comes close to the future Stapleton Road arrangement, and of course it is a clear winner if the gate is locked and you have to go back...

Stapleton Road is unlikely to be a major interchange until service are frequent and reliable (I think that's called "MetroWest" when it become the logical point to change if you're travelling Clifton to Filton, for example - indeed not only logical but mandated, unless there is an easement that would allow doubling back via Temple Meads.

Weston-super-Mare is less of an interchange; local passengers from Weston Milton and Bedminster to Bridgwater I suppose (and similar journeys) but unsure as to whether there would always / ever be a platform change necessary?   

Further question - TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine).   At Weston, are there ticket purchase facilities on the eastern platform - or would wheelchair / buggie passengers who do not have tickets need to purchase them at the western platform before taking that 650 metre walk?  If so, the distance involved is important for far more that just the connecting passenger!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 03, 2018, 09:41:37 »

Just to add to the fun, the access road from Stapleton Road to Platform 2 (towards BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)) is steeper than 1:12 and is about 140m long. You need to get up that before reaching the luxury of the 1:15 ramp up to the footbridge. The access road is also a mess of potholes and very uneven, but presumably that can be fixed!

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 03, 2018, 10:03:36 »

The mother of all platform changes has to be at Gloucester
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 04, 2018, 15:11:22 »

Sounds about right for a skateboard nursery slope. They can hone their skills before tackling the Cenotaph.

The access road is also a mess of potholes and very uneven, but presumably that can be fixed!

Yes. At least in theory.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: