Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:25:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335836 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 08, 2018, 17:29:49 »

Out and about this morning, before it got too hot. I've taken BNM's tip and hosted the images on imgbb.com, so let's hope I've done it right!

First two are the now more-or-less complete Stapleton Road viaduct:

Note the sticky-outy bit (I think that's the correct engineering term) on the side of the leftmost pier; from the plans I think that is for an access gantry of some sort:

Network Rail were out in force on Filton Bank; hard to get decent pics as everything was so far away from anywhere I could access, but this one (taken from Bonnington Walk looking south) shows track panel wagons. There was also a trainload of sleepers just south of this:

Finally Parkway station, where there appeared to be more than enough buses to meet demand. To a passing cyclist, this looked like a model of quiet efficiency; YMMV (Your Method/Mileage May Vary).

Edit: Apologies for false start; should be OK now. learning curve and all that!
Another edit: Third time's a treat!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:20:18 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 08, 2018, 17:33:00 »

Can't see any images there.  Sad

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #407 on: July 08, 2018, 18:20:22 »

Edit: Apologies for false start; should be OK now. learning curve and all that!
Another edit: Third time's a treat!

Look good - thank you!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 08, 2018, 19:39:42 »

Note the sticky-outy bit...

Ah, belay that; I dug out the plans (15/00655/RA  on the Bristol Planning Portal for them as might be interested) and I see that my memory has been playing tricks with me; it is actually a 'corble (sic) for future OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") mast'. Let's hope some of the younger readers live to see it employed.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 08, 2018, 20:14:18 »

Yeah, photos! Thanks, Red Squirrel. By the way, I've never heard of imgbb.com, I presume it's something like flckr but in some way better, or at least supposedly better?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 08, 2018, 20:47:44 »

Good pictures indeed, Red Squirrel! I wnet along Statpleton Road on Thursday, but without chance to take stock or photos.

I switched to Flickr from Photobucket when the latter decided to charge. I shall look at imgbb, just in case.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 09, 2018, 09:23:16 »

Yeah, photos! Thanks, Red Squirrel. By the way, I've never heard of imgbb.com, I presume it's something like flckr but in some way better, or at least supposedly better?

BNM suggested it; a quick google suggests that not everyone loves it - I wouldn't use it for primary storage, for example, nor would I put stuff there if I cared about my copyright - but it does the job.

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 10, 2018, 08:08:24 »

Unfortunately the images do not appear on my MacBook Pro or iPad but do so on an old iPhone!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 16, 2018, 14:54:14 »

A picture below of Filton Abbey Wood new platform at about noon today. Looking South the platform wall has been started. It looks like they have started at the southern end and are working north. The arrangements of the supporting walls are now making more sense with the course of the permanent access ramp now becoming clearer. They looked quite busy on the wall for the time being, perhaps there will be a lot more progress to show in the next few days.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 16, 2018, 15:12:39 »

Well that saves me the bother of posting the identical photo I took yesterday!  Smiley

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 30, 2018, 16:29:56 »

Took another look at Filton Abbey Wood today. After what seemed like a brief pause in progress, the platform wall construction has resumed. There was not really enough visible progress from my previous picture to justify a new one yet but the wall is now nearly half way from it's southern extreme to the footbridge so more obvious progress could be imminent.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2018, 19:07:40 »

Bristol Parkway to be closed from 15 September - 07 October and from 27 October - 19 November trains will not run between Temple Meads and Parkway and will include the Severn Beach line. I presume this will be to connect up and commission the four tracking.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2018, 20:06:04 »

The signalling commissioning is over xmas 2018/new year 2019.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 04, 2018, 23:27:21 »

Bristol Parkway to be closed from 15 September - 07 October and from 27 October - 19 November trains will not run between Temple Meads and Parkway and will include the Severn Beach line. I presume this will be to connect up and commission the four tracking.

Will the Crosscountry trains be using the Henbury loop again?

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 05, 2018, 00:38:08 »

Will the Crosscountry trains be using the Henbury loop again?

The first of those closures, 15 September to 6 October, is for Parkway's electrification. Presumably the full block closure is preferred there because there is a reasonable diversion via Bath, and for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains via the Severn Tunnel, Newport, and Lydney. Buses fill the other gaps around Parkway.

Filton Bank's fourtification also gets a 23-day block closure (27 October to 18 November), as well as weekend ones (13 and 14 October and 24 and 25 November and 1 and  2 December, though they may involve other stuff too). The services for those have not been announced yet, but the "expected" route for XCs is via Swindon and Bath. For most other routes, it is buses and more buses.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:17:10 by stuving » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: