Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:46:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335829 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 05, 2018, 10:13:25 »

Bristol Parkway to be closed from 15 September - 07 October and from 27 October - 19 November trains will not run between Temple Meads and Parkway and will include the Severn Beach line. I presume this will be to connect up and commission the four tracking.

Will the Crosscountry trains be using the Henbury loop again?

Last time they used the Henbury loop for north-south trains was when they redid  Filton junction, so the Severn Rivera line was available (though not for its usual users!); this time that line is included in the blockade. I presume that there are good reasons for this - a layman might imagine that it was overkill.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 05, 2018, 19:20:41 »

Don't forget that there will be work at Dr Days junction to connect up the four tracks and this work will affect the Severn Beach line

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 05, 2018, 20:12:58 »

Well that's the thing, see: according to S&TE's excellent diagram, the current lines from Temple Meads to Narroways - the reliefs, in the new scheme of things - don't appear to be affected by the remodelling. So I'm assuming that the closure is for safety reasons.

Diagram courtesy of SandTEngineer

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 05, 2018, 20:59:13 »

If there's a bit off heavy plant needed for the day it could mean there is a possibility of occasional obstruction that cannot be safely predicted.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 05, 2018, 21:10:20 »

Well that's the thing, see: according to S&TE's excellent diagram, the current lines from Temple Meads to Narroways - the reliefs, in the new scheme of things - don't appear to be affected by the remodelling. So I'm assuming that the closure is for safety reasons.

The current up and down lines will be breached on Filton Bank where the lines are slewed to run from the original formation of the relief line to the original main lines so as to connect the new tracks to run through the new platform and the added 3rd platform and for the new relaid tracks from Dr. Days Junction tracks can be connected through the original Abbey Wood platforms.

In the olden days of semaphore signalling the box controlling what SandTEngineers excellent diagram labels as HORFIELD JCN (Junction) was FILTON INCLINE SIGNAL BOX.

I spent many an hour in the next box up the line, FILTON JUNCTION, with my school chum whose father was a signalman there, sat on an old cushion on an upturned metal milk crate.

One day when I got time I'll put down some memories of my adventures in the late 50's with my school chum which at one point included a footplate ride on GWR (Great Western Railway) 3440 CITY OF TRURO from Filton Junction to Swindon when the loco was working the Bristol - Swindon via Badminton all stops diagram in 1958 I think it was.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 05, 2018, 21:18:33 »

Yes, but I don't understand why the Beach line needs to be closed for many weeks when, as far as I can see, there will be no breach at any point between Narroways and Temple Meads...

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 05, 2018, 21:36:43 »

Yes, but I don't understand why the Beach line needs to be closed for many weeks when, as far as I can see, there will be no breach at any point between Narroways and Temple Meads...

For engineering trains ?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 06, 2018, 13:04:58 »

Filton Bank's fourtification ...
I like this word.  Smiley

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 06, 2018, 14:39:37 »

A quick visit to Abbey Wood today while passing by. Platform wall building has seems to have slowed again over the last week but there is general progress on show with quite a bit of earth moved. Here's a few pics:

Top pic looking North from bridge. Middle pic, further view north.
Bottom pic, looking South from bridge.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 06, 2018, 22:12:31 »

Are there any plans to alter p!atform 3 to accommodate the additional line?

I appreciate it's difficult to judge at the moment but when it was originally built it was a very simple retaining wall and rubble fill afare to expand platform 2. And there have been numerous spray paint lines in the past 18 months indicative of new platform edges, that was my interpretation.

Given the extent of the current work, the realignment of the platform would be minimal.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 07, 2018, 17:54:48 »

Filton Bank's fourtification ...
I like this word.  Smiley
Is there really enough space for forty tracks? Grin
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 07, 2018, 23:17:40 »

Are there any plans to alter p!atform 3 to accommodate the additional line?

I appreciate it's difficult to judge at the moment but when it was originally built it was a very simple retaining wall and rubble fill afare to expand platform 2. And there have been numerous spray paint lines in the past 18 months indicative of new platform edges, that was my interpretation.

Given the extent of the current work, the realignment of the platform would be minimal.

A chat almost a year ago with some GWR (Great Western Railway) train staff waiting at Abbeywood for their next train suggested this. From what I have seen, this might have been more speculative than actual.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 10, 2018, 11:34:12 »

Some photos taken yesterday from Narroways footbridge.

Looking north, sleepers all the way:

Looking south; sleepers now nearly reach Stapleton Rd viaduct (just visible before the track disappears behind the trees in the distance):

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 10, 2018, 11:36:02 »

Didn't take long for the artistry graffiti to appear..... Angry
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 10, 2018, 18:41:37 »

Went to Bristol today, massive progress since I last went 4 months ago, and it isn’t an easy project that has been set out.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: