Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:56:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335646 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 04, 2018, 16:55:14 »

Thanks for the information!
If that’s not the final arrangement, then what change is being made at Christmas?

There is an additional third reversible track between Bristol Parkway and Filton Abbey Wood North Junction to be connected and commissioned.  Also an additional bit of reversible signalling through Filton Abbey Wood station to be commissioned.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 04, 2018, 18:07:55 »

If that’s not the final arrangement, then what change is being made at Christmas?
There is an additional third reversible track between Bristol Parkway and Filton Abbey Wood North Junction to be connected and commissioned.  Also an additional bit of reversible signalling through Filton Abbey Wood station to be commissioned.

Are you sure there is to be a third reversible track between Bristol Parkway and Filton Abbey Wood North Junction ?

I could see no evidence of this when I last travelled that stretch before the current blockade and that section is almost wholly on a raised embankment.

I understood the down line over that stretch was to made reversible so as to have a down, an up and a down reversible, 3 routings but only two tracks to do it on.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 04, 2018, 20:20:43 »

Are you sure there is to be a third reversible track between Bristol Parkway and Filton Abbey Wood North Junction ?

I could see no evidence of this when I last travelled that stretch before the current blockade and that section is almost wholly on a raised embankment.

I understood the down line over that stretch was to made reversible so as to have a down, an up and a down reversible, 3 routings but only two tracks to do it on.

Apologies, had my 'railway speak' hat on.. Roll Eyes  The third line ends half way around the chord between Bristol Parkway and the closed Filton Platform station.  Its being laid on the site of the existing Stoke Gifford Siding which itself is being recreated adjacent to the existing siding.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 04, 2018, 20:48:08 »

Apologies, had my 'railway speak' hat on.. Roll Eyes  The third line ends half way around the chord between Bristol Parkway and the closed Filton Platform station.  Its being laid on the site of the existing Stoke Gifford Siding which itself is being recreated adjacent to the existing siding.

Being of a certain vintage I can remember when the third line spoken of was a head shunt for a very busy Stoke Gifford marshalling yard but was taken out years ago. There was a second head shunt which when that was taken out performed that function for the much reduced freight facility but has been incorporated into the routing to Filton Abbey Wood from Parkways new platform 1 and I have noted and speculated that the works being done was to re-instate the "lost" head shunt.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 04, 2018, 21:56:15 »

Looks like I need to do an additional drawing to that I did earlier in this topic for the Filton 4 tracking bit, to show the Bristol Parkway bit.  Watch this space.....
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 06, 2018, 19:00:00 »

Here we go then:

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 06, 2018, 19:59:15 »

Smiley

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #457 on: October 06, 2018, 22:05:07 »

With the lack of details about new rail schedules, for December, is it known when the extra trains from Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington , via Bristol Parkway, will run?

It is great,   Cheesy, to have all this investment at Bristol Parkway, Filton Abbeywood and Filton Bank, but the lack of coordination and clarity of delivery leaves me, and others, unsure when things will actually get better and justify all this hassle.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 06, 2018, 23:13:29 »

With the lack of details about new rail schedules, for December, is it known when the extra trains from Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington , via Bristol Parkway, will run?

It is great,   Cheesy, to have all this investment at Bristol Parkway, Filton Abbeywood and Filton Bank, but the lack of coordination and clarity of delivery leaves me, and others, unsure when things will actually get better and justify all this hassle.

All those five car IETs (Intercity Express Train) sat doing nothing waiting to work the Parkway Bristol’s... any long forms expected  Wink
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 07, 2018, 07:41:32 »

Nothing new in December, existing timetable continues even beyond May TT change apparently. So looking to December 19 before we finally see the fruit of the years of infustructure work on the GW (Great Western) network in terms of frequency changes and faster journey times.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 07, 2018, 07:53:28 »

Here we go then:

Almost exactly as I had been led to believe.

I was unaware that the Down Tunnel line was to be made reversible between Patchway Junction and Stoke Gifford Junction but it does make sense as all the trackwork needed to allow that move to be made exists and has existed for years, all needed was the signalling enhancements to allow it. Thanks SanTEngineer.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 07, 2018, 08:21:42 »

All those five car IETs (Intercity Express Train) sat doing nothing waiting to work the Parkway Bristol’s... any long forms expected  Wink
Maybe they could take over a few turns on the Didcot-Oxford shuttle ...

Solve the peak capacity problem and put the IET stop boards already installed at Radley to some regular use.

(Not quite as silly as it looks as there are some Turbo diagrams that go Paddington-Oxford-Didcot-Oxford-Paddington.)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #462 on: October 07, 2018, 08:30:49 »

Maybe they could take over a few turns on the Didcot-Oxford shuttle ...

Solve the peak capacity problem and put the IET stop boards already installed at Radley to some regular use.

(Not quite as silly as it looks as there are some Turbo diagrams that go Paddington-Oxford-Didcot-Oxford-Paddington.)

You're not looking at the maths of releasing 165 and 166 units westward prior to the arrival of the 769s are you, making use of 5 car IETs rather than holding back cascades?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 07, 2018, 08:38:42 »

By the end of March, all HSTs (High Speed Train) will be gone. So working it out you’d have waiting for the new timetable 1 or 2 from the Cheltenham Rotation, 4 from the Parkways, and all of the rest of the IETs (Intercity Express Train) not working to full ability.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 07, 2018, 22:12:54 »

Nothing new in December, existing timetable continues even beyond May TT change apparently. So looking to December 19 before we finally see the fruit of the years of infustructure work on the GW (Great Western) network in terms of frequency changes and faster journey times.

Presumably the new track will actually be used, though? It would be nice to see fewer delays on the Severn Beach line...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: