Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:12:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335673 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 16, 2018, 00:27:42 »

Electrified Track, Now!

Paul
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 16, 2018, 16:15:26 »

I thought that some signalling enhancements were carried out a few years ago to allow pax services to run the loop when works in conjunction with platform 3 at FIT undertaken. Previously when pax were run on the loop a Pilotman had to be used between Avonmouth and Chittenham.

Be interested to find out if anyone knows what enhancements were done?  Would certainly mean less work in the long run which 'sometimes' helps make for a better case for re-instatement!
I'll have a look through my records, but it might take a few days (probably at the coming weekend).

Had a look through the records I have.  They are dated 1992.  They show the single line loop from Filton Abbey Wood to Filton West as signalled to passenger line standards using Track Circuit Block (TCB (Track Circuit Block)).  Nothing to stop passenger services using that line and the double track to Holesmouth Junction, which is also signalled to passenger line standards using TCB.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 16, 2018, 18:07:21 »

I thought that some signalling enhancements were carried out a few years ago to allow pax services to run the loop when works in conjunction with platform 3 at FIT undertaken. Previously when pax were run on the loop a Pilotman had to be used between Avonmouth and Chittenham.

Be interested to find out if anyone knows what enhancements were done?  Would certainly mean less work in the long run which 'sometimes' helps make for a better case for re-instatement!
I'll have a look through my records, but it might take a few days (probably at the coming weekend).

Had a look through the records I have.  They are dated 1992.  They show the single line loop from Filton Abbey Wood to Filton West as signalled to passenger line standards using Track Circuit Block (TCB (Track Circuit Block)).  Nothing to stop passenger services using that line and the double track to Holesmouth Junction, which is also signalled to passenger line standards using TCB.

If I remember correctly the track between Avonmouth Station and Holesmouth Junction or Chittenham as I stated was signalled for through running but as the routing Avonmouth to Parkway had a number of consecutive ground signals a Pilotman was employed between Avonmouth and Holesmouth. I travelled in both directions at the time into Bristol on a Cardiff - Pompey service from Patchway via the curve to the closed Filton North Platform and from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to Parkway on a Voyager. We picked up the Pilotman at Avonmouth who rode to Holesmouth/Chittenham where the Pilotman detrained to pilot another Voyager to Avonmouth and thence the Voyager would continue to BRI.

The Severn Riviera line was RR'ed that weekend with diverted services passing at Clifton Down.

The enhancements I mentioned was merely to replace the ground signals by colour light 3 aspect signals. I WAS surprised by the use of a pilotman on the occasion as I had travelled over the route on specials previously with no problem but I presume with a number of movements involved it was as a precaution as I was informed NR» (Network Rail - home page) didn't take kindly to passenger trains being signalled past more that 1 consecutive ground signal on a signalled routing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 19:39:32 by martyjon » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 16, 2018, 18:22:01 »

Ah.  The reason for that was that there is no signalled movement to/from the Severn Beach line to the Filton Lines at Holesmouth Junction.  Although the track layout allows that, it has to be handsignalled if required.  Nothing really to do with the shunt signals.  Typical BR (British Rail(ways)) cost cutting excercise as neither the freight sector nor regional railways sector would pay for the necessary signalling.

I believe that arrangement has now been altered.  I'll see if a friend of mine can get hold of a current signalling plan.  Watch this space.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 16, 2018, 20:06:34 »

Perhaps not 100% a propos of this thread, but waiting at Clifton Down today I noticed that many of the sleepers there appear to be made of something akin to over-ripe pear. I am no expert, as you all know, but with my layman's view of the world I can't help thinking this may not be the best substance for keeping things in gauge. Is anyone aware if there are any plans to do any maintenance on the Beach line during the upcoming undoubtedly utterly essential three week closure?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 17, 2018, 10:43:07 »

In regards the new layout at Filton Abbey Wood it seems that trains won't use the new platform - Platform 4 - immediately after the works of the blockade of 27th October - 18th November are complete. The RealTimeTrains website suggests that the new platform will come into use on 09th December and the site also suggests that the new layout created by the addition of the extra platform will give the following stopping arrangements:

Platform 1: trains from Bristol Parkway or Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads
Platform 2: trains to Bristol Parkway
Platform 3: trains from Cardiff Central which are not using Platform 1
Platform 4: trains to Cardiff Central

The arrangements, albeit subject to change, for trains stopping at Filton Abbey Wood on 10th December can be found at http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/FIT/2018/12/10/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt to give some idea.

Cheers,
Dave
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 19, 2018, 16:16:01 »

I have to wonder if the budget for Filton Bank would stretch to a new bike shed at Filton Abbey Wood - they seem to need one ! (I don't think the young lady in the photo was the owner of any of the tethered bikes)

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 19, 2018, 18:07:56 »

The demand is clearly there.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #518 on: October 19, 2018, 20:22:58 »

There are several bike boxes in the car park, no sure what the arrangement is to use them but I do agree that a bike rack and security camera would be money spent, as would a coffee stall (opportunity for someone?) and a small ticket office (why not merge them).

Before anyone wonders, Filton Abbey Wood has a very high throughput and could justify being manned with some basic services.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 19, 2018, 21:55:52 »

Filton Abbey Wood does have a peak time ticket kiosk and the very manned MOD entrance next door with regular uniformed passengers on the platform does give a feeling of security. I massively miss the old coffee trike at Redland Station, seeing something similar at Filton (and please again at Redland) would be very civilised.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 23, 2018, 11:05:44 »

Platform 1 also needs enlarging, at peak times it gets very cosy and has done for a few years.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 26, 2018, 19:38:24 »

I have to wonder if the budget for Filton Bank would stretch to a new bike shed at Filton Abbey Wood - they seem to need one ! (I don't think the young lady in the photo was the owner of any of the tethered bikes)

That sign next to one of the cycles chained to the railings - I presume it is purely decorative?

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 26, 2018, 20:00:40 »

Only a few hours to go to start of FTN.... Cheesy
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 26, 2018, 20:09:55 »

And now the end is near..

Any budding lyricists out there to pen a parody along the lines (pun intended) of 'they did it,their way' for Tony in a tuxedo to perform on the morning of Nov 19th ??
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #524 on: October 26, 2018, 20:21:45 »

And now the end is near..
And so they lay the final track work ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: