Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:10:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335844 times)
dfm1a

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: October 31, 2018, 15:45:47 »

stuving, I was referring to the layout post 1970 when Bristol Panel opened.  There were most certainly four tracks from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Dr Days then - I've seen the Yellow Perils on the archive in the SRS website.  Thus the pointwork between Dr Days and Lawrence Hill could most certainly have been rationalised to only allow movement from Reliefs to Mains in the Down direction and vice-versa in the Up direction - as has been the case since the track rationalisation in 1984
Bristolian

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 31, 2018, 16:10:35 »

Here's a shot of mine from 1984, one of the last loco movements along the former UFM...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/8675060770/

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.
Thanks for those pics Bob, and looking thru the others on your photostream you've linked to there's also some other great ones around BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and LWH from the 70s and early 80s as it was then.  Great to see!

Thank you very much, Sir. I have a great many more negs to scan, sadly though in most cases I won't have full information, as my notebooks and prints went several years ago Sad.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 31, 2018, 16:11:34 »

stuving, I was referring to the layout post 1970 when Bristol Panel opened.  There were most certainly four tracks from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Dr Days then - I've seen the Yellow Perils on the archive in the SRS website.  Thus the pointwork between Dr Days and Lawrence Hill could most certainly have been rationalised to only allow movement from Reliefs to Mains in the Down direction and vice-versa in the Up direction - as has been the case since the track rationalisation in 1984

If the question this time was "is it worth adding the extra crossovers for a small gain in flexibility that would be rarely used?" - answered quite reasonably no - then in the 70s it would have been "is it worth taking out these existing crossovers that do give a small gain in flexibility even if it would be rarely used?". I can imagine the answer then was yes, though there may have been some further arguments to do with how the tracks from Temple Meads were used at the time, or what was planned then but never happened.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 31, 2018, 17:20:19 »

Dr.Days Bridge Junction prior to Bristol Resignalling

This photograph is dated 02 April 1970 and shows the revised alignment

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 17:36:16 by SandTEngineer » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 31, 2018, 17:24:43 »

There was four tracks from Bristol East to Dr Days and also four tracks from Dr Days to North Somerset Junction with a Main to Relief double junction on this, Rhubarb Curve, also because the line towards Bath was Up, Down (to/from Bristol East Depot Up Yard), Up Main, Down Main. The Up and Down may have been designated either Relief or Reception lines for the Bristol East Depot Up Yard as we had the Bristol East Down Yard with its association Up and Down Reception Lines. Dr Days Bridge Junction Signal Box, as I understand was its full name also had a Mains to Reliefs double junctions in both directions too. Then as we travel up towards Filton we also had Stapleton Road Signal Box which also had Mains to Reliefs in both directions too.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 31, 2018, 17:49:33 »

There was four tracks from Bristol East to Dr Days and also four tracks from Dr Days to North Somerset Junction with a Main to Relief double junction on this, Rhubarb Curve, also because the line towards Bath was Up, Down (to/from Bristol East Depot Up Yard), Up Main, Down Main. The Up and Down may have been designated either Relief or Reception lines for the Bristol East Depot Up Yard as we had the Bristol East Down Yard with its association Up and Down Reception Lines. Dr Days Bridge Junction Signal Box, as I understand was its full name also had a Mains to Reliefs double junctions in both directions too. Then as we travel up towards Filton we also had Stapleton Road Signal Box which also had Mains to Reliefs in both directions too.
Yeah as there were still 4 lines crossing feeder road at that time up to the resignalling weren't there?

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 31, 2018, 19:54:18 »

Took a couple of photos this evening, in failing light.

First one is from Constable Road looking south, with what I presume to be one of the 75mph crossovers on the right;
Second is from Constable Road looking north towards Bonnington Walk;
Third is from Bonnington Walk looking over the site of Horfield Halt towards Constable Road, showing the extensive work done on the right hand side of the cutting;
Fourth is from Bonnington Walk looking north towards Filton Abbey Wood, again showing the extensive work done on the side of the cutting.

Still plenty to do!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 31, 2018, 20:02:14 »

It's looking blimmin' good but yes, still loads to do. Unthinkable of unthinkables, what if unforeseen factors (bad weather for example) means the work is still unfinished at the end of the blockade? Is there a plan B?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 31, 2018, 20:29:47 »

It's looking blimmin' good but yes, still loads to do. Unthinkable of unthinkables, what if unforeseen factors (bad weather for example) means the work is still unfinished at the end of the blockade? Is there a plan B?

Yes.  Carry on Matron..... Grin
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 31, 2018, 21:04:04 »

Yes.  Carry on Matron..... Grin

I do feel a little better now.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 31, 2018, 22:37:01 »

Last 2 pics show the new signal I noticed installed on the new down main just before Church Rd bridge, with a feather for the avoiding lines from Dr Days to N Somerset junction
On the matter of new signals I notice that a new one has gone in on the new main line at the northern end of Stapleton Road station: I noticed it while a passenger in a car on the M32 earlier. Also it surprises me, looking at the plans of the new layout, that an additional crossover hasn't been put in just south of Narroways Junction so that if, say, a train broke down at Stapleton Road station then trains on the Severn Beach line could be rerouted onto the new main line which would serve as an avoiding route. Would mean a feather being added to signal BL1855 (as I think signal B360, the last signal before the junction for trains coming from Montpelier toward Temple Meads, is now numbered) but would provide flexibility. Similarly an option to route trains on the new northbound line onto the Severn Beach line.

As things are at present (and, by the looks of it, will remain) a broken down train at Stapleton Road brings the whole Severn Beach service to a halt.

Dave
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 31, 2018, 23:58:46 »

When I referred above to a signal box that had to be removed, it was an earlier Dr Day's Bridge Junction box I was talking about. You can see it on this map of 1912, and it's still there in the 30s on maps with a smaller scale where you can't count tracks exactly. In the pursuit of further unnecessary details about this track alignment, I also found a locking table on s-r-s.org.uk dated Drawn: 2.1932, Issued 10:1956. Tha's suggestive that the reworking of the 1912 layout into the pre-1970 one was planned pre-war, but done afterwards. Then I found a set of 1950s 1:1250 plans on old-maps.co.uk, showing this intermediate layout and suggesting it was in place before 1951 (though note that their maps can't all be dated right).

It's not so obvious from S&TE's pictures, but the current four tracks from Bristol TM(resolve) run to the right (west) of the signal box and over its site. The two tracks you can just see in the top picture connected to the sidings, which were then west of the running lines. That's also where the previous two-track main line ran, with connections to the sidings - then east of the through lines - on the far side of the signal box. That box wasn't there, its precursor was rotated parallel with the loop and would have blocked both the current Down Filton Main and two or more of the pre-1970 lines.

So the through lines were doubled and shifted to the other side of the central signal box site, then back when it was removed, and each time the sidings swapped over too. That's a lot of effort for a rather short life-time, apparently 20-25 years, and not just by today's standards either. Oh, and Dr Day's Bridge itself was realigned around 1955-1960 too.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 01, 2018, 08:18:57 »

Don't rely too much on dates on signalling drawings.  Quite often they were (are) altered some years in advance, or after, works take place.  This especially applies to signalbox diagrams.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 01, 2018, 08:21:07 »

Last 2 pics show the new signal I noticed installed on the new down main just before Church Rd bridge, with a feather for the avoiding lines from Dr Days to N Somerset junction
On the matter of new signals I notice that a new one has gone in on the new main line at the northern end of Stapleton Road station: I noticed it while a passenger in a car on the M32 earlier. Also it surprises me, looking at the plans of the new layout, that an additional crossover hasn't been put in just south of Narroways Junction so that if, say, a train broke down at Stapleton Road station then trains on the Severn Beach line could be rerouted onto the new main line which would serve as an avoiding route. Would mean a feather being added to signal BL1855 (as I think signal B360, the last signal before the junction for trains coming from Montpelier toward Temple Meads, is now numbered) but would provide flexibility. Similarly an option to route trains on the new northbound line onto the Severn Beach line.

As things are at present (and, by the looks of it, will remain) a broken down train at Stapleton Road brings the whole Severn Beach service to a halt.

Dave

Dave, some good points there (pun intended), but you can't cater for every possible scenario, as each comes at a cost that in most cases doesn't 'wash its face' in terms of affordibility and ongoing liability.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:21:29 by SandTEngineer » Logged
dfm1a

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 01, 2018, 13:14:54 »

Prior to 1970, there was an additional crossover(s) at Narroways to take trains onto the Mains from the Reliefs and, if I recall correctly vice-versa.  This was removed when Bristol was resignalled and the Mains were plain-lined instead and controlled by Automatic Signals
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: