Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:25:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335837 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #615 on: November 07, 2018, 05:51:56 »

That line from National Rail is the only place that suggests a full week of closures after 18th November - all the other sources (the timetable, GWR (Great Western Railway), and Network Rail) say it's only the weekend. So I guess it's just carelessness - the head of that item gives:  Start date 27/10/2018, End date 25/11/2018; arguably that's correct. But as the closure and RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) aren't continuous, it's probably a mistake to put them in one item, especially as that set of data is meant to be looked up by date.

I would be inclined to agree, save that late changes could be notified ... the wording feeds a natural worry brought on by past extensions / overruns

"Buses replace trains between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway / Severn Beach from Saturday 27 October until Sunday 25 November"

would be clearer as

"Buses replace trains between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway / Severn Beach from Saturday 27 October on most days until Sunday 25 November"

or (as has been suggested) splitting into two date sets.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:50 »

Well let's hope so; traffic this morning was astonishingly bad.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 07, 2018, 10:20:17 »

Latest twittage shows new 75mph points at Horfield looking fairly complete.

According to the tweeble:

We're half way through our 3-week upgrade in the Bristol area and are making good progress.

https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1060108439521767424

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:05:55 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 07, 2018, 10:21:00 »

Always the same in and around Bristol when the rain comes
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 07, 2018, 10:42:28 »

Latest twittage shows new 75mph points at Horfiled looking fairly complete.

According to the tweeble:

We're half way through our 3-week upgrade in the Bristol area and are making good progress.

https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1060108439521767424

Looking good!  It says on their feed that "We've now completed the installation of complex crossovers in the Horfield area that enable trains to switch tracks"

Wonder if that means all 4 sets of new points are now in to complete the whole new junction layout?  Will try and have a drive over to take a look later if it's stopped persisting it down

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 07, 2018, 11:02:17 »

Always the same in and around Bristol when the rain comes

I'm sure the rain makes it worse, as does the rolling water main replacement programme, but it was pretty awful yesterday without the rain. I'd be interested to know what proportion of the scores of schoolkids who normally use the Severed Beach line are being driven to school instead by long-suffering parents. Does anyone on here have experience of the RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to CFN (Clifton Down station) at around 8am?

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 08, 2018, 11:32:54 »

More twittage today - confirmation that they are still on schedule for 19th Nov:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1060452506935926784

Spaceship

View Profile Email
« Reply #622 on: November 08, 2018, 15:27:50 »

Hi I was on Constable Road Bridge earlier and there were about 60 people working on the tracks between the footbridge to the south and the next road bridge toward Bristol Parkway. There was a tamper unit working on one line directly under the bridge and a Class 66 with a trainload of something about half a mile up. One gang were installing a signal with a feather arm and other gangs appeared to be doing everything from signal coms, to points. Looked very well organised.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 08, 2018, 15:59:14 »

Welcome break in the weather today so decided to get some updates

Starting at Constable Rd bridge, lots of progress since my last pics 10 days ago.  All 8 sets of points now installed for the 4 new crossovers making up the new 'Horfield Junction'

First pic, working from the top shows the first stage of the northern part of the junction from Up relief to Down relief, complete with new signal & feather, then down to the right shows the junction from Down main to Up main
Second pic shows most of the southern part of the junction, working from Down main, to Up main, then to Down relief
Third pic gives a longer shot of the southern part of the junction, Down main to Down relief, giving a better perspective of the length of the 75mph crossovers
Fourth pic shows very southern end, as the final connection to the Down relief is on the south side of the bridge!

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 08, 2018, 16:05:31 »

Then onto Bonnington Walk for views the other way around, and the whole northern end of the junction

First pic shows whole of the southern junction from Down main across to Down relief, along with first part of the northern junction from Up relief to Down relief
Second pic shows second part of northern junction from Down relief to Up main
Third pic is a closer view of Down relief to Up main
Fourth pic is a panoramic view of Bonnington Walk N to FIT showing new junction / trackwork and extensive embankment works

metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 08, 2018, 16:08:54 »

Then onwards towards FIT...

Hard to miss the first big change, which is the installation of the new signal gantry mentioned on the latest NR» (Network Rail - home page) twitter feed!
Followed by the view towards FIT itself

metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 08, 2018, 16:14:29 »

Then finally south of FIT

First two pics are comparison from 10 days ago and today, showing how the old Filton South junction has now completely gone, with both new relief lines running directly down Filton Bank from the new FIT platforms 3 & 4

Final pic is a panoramic south of FIT showing all 4 lines now running directly down the bank, along with more extensive embankment works

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 08, 2018, 16:17:12 »

Thanks for those updates, METALRAIL.  Keep them coming.  They are going to need a lot of ballast when all the trackwork is completed.... Tongue
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 08, 2018, 16:24:54 »

Thanks for those updates, METALRAIL.  Keep them coming.  They are going to need a lot of ballast when all the trackwork is completed.... Tongue
Yeah there was a huge ballast train on what will be the new Up main when I got to Constable Rd, obliterating most of the view to Bonnington Walk.  Thankfully after about 10 minutes it slowly started on it's way south (on the up line!) so I could finally see the trackwork.  There was another parked across Station Rd bridge by FIT as I drove back home after, so think they must be running them pretty much continuously to try and keep up!

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 08, 2018, 16:27:38 »

Thanks for those updates, METALRAIL.  Keep them coming. 

What he said! Wink

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: