Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:32:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335724 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 11, 2018, 17:06:10 »

I'm sorry S&TE, I was setting it up in the hope that someone would knock it down for me: I don't know my ARS (Automatic Route Setting) from my ELBO.

For anyone else who struggles to differentiate their a*se from their elbow, the following is a handy ready reckoner.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 11, 2018, 17:18:13 »

Ah...  doubtful we'll be able to see it then apart from a passing train.  Not found any decent vantage points yet around where the track used to slew as I really wanted to photograph that part when they cut the line to make the new formation, unless anyone else has?

There's a footbridge near the Dovercourt Road allotments (see https://goo.gl/maps/i1AQhGxX2BP2) which I think was replaced under the electrification scope, but which (for reasons best known to NR» (Network Rail - home page)) has not reopened; might have been a good viewpoint. My brother took this vid from it in 2015; I was stood directly above the loco and found that this was a surprisingly good way to remove excess leg hairs: https://youtu.be/iLsvFe6ukHA

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bristolian

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 11, 2018, 17:27:26 »

The gap between the Reliefs and the Mains was always there, and I'd imagine that it's still there because of the bridge spacings to the immediate north of the former station site Smiley.

Here's one of my shots of a failed 47, which just about coasted alongside the former Up Relief platform, with a 47-hauled freight passing by on the Up Main -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/9059595148/in/album-72157641961867643/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 11, 2018, 17:45:14 »

Ah...  doubtful we'll be able to see it then apart from a passing train.  Not found any decent vantage points yet around where the track used to slew as I really wanted to photograph that part when they cut the line to make the new formation, unless anyone else has?

There's a footbridge near the Dovercourt Road allotments (see https://goo.gl/maps/i1AQhGxX2BP2) which I think was replaced under the electrification scope, but which (for reasons best known to NR» (Network Rail - home page)) has not reopened; might have been a good viewpoint. My brother took this vid from it in 2015; I was stood directly above the loco and found that this was a surprisingly good way to remove excess leg hairs: https://youtu.be/iLsvFe6ukHA

Its located about 450m South of there.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 11, 2018, 17:54:58 »

Yeah i've tried getting access to that new footbridge a couple of times over the past 6 months but it's still blocked off  Sad

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 11, 2018, 17:58:53 »

Oh, b****y.  Fell into that one outright Wink Grin

Anyway, think we have now exhausted all the signalling issues.  Just over one week to go to commissioning!

Shall we award a prize to the first person to travel over both the new Main and Relief line formations?

Yep got me with that one too...  far too clever for my brain to figure out!!!   Tongue

I don't want a prize, but I have booked next Monday off to take a couple of trips up and down the bank on both my usual GWR (Great Western Railway) local stoppers, and also XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), to see if I get to travel on both the main and relief lines.  Yes, I really am that sad!   Grin

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 11, 2018, 19:04:15 »

The gap between the Reliefs and the Mains was always there, and I'd imagine that it's still there because of the bridge spacings to the immediate north of the former station site Smiley.

Here's one of my shots of a failed 47, which just about coasted alongside the former Up Relief platform, with a 47-hauled freight passing by on the Up Main -

Well that was my first take, after metalrail made his observation, but looking at it today I'd say that the gap was now wider than it was in your photo; in any case they could have chosen to bring the lines closer together sooner, maybe thus avoiding the need for some of the piling visible from Boiling Wells Lane.

The area to the east of the mains where any fourth platform would go looks pretty generous too, but that's probably just down to the removal of a lot of vegetation.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 11, 2018, 22:24:46 »

Well that was my first take, after metalrail made his observation, but looking at it today I'd say that the gap was now wider than it was in your photo; in any case they could have chosen to bring the lines closer together sooner, maybe thus avoiding the need for some of the piling visible from Boiling Wells Lane.

The area to the east of the mains where any fourth platform would go looks pretty generous too, but that's probably just down to the removal of a lot of vegetation.

Yeah the gap is definitely wider now than before.  I noticed from my train before the blockade when the new tracks had been put in just how much gap had been left between the 2 sets of lines along that whole straight run, and knowing from SandT's diagram showing they were making passive provision for the station to re-open there it was a relief to see they appeared to be planning ahead for that

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 11, 2018, 22:38:02 »

In all my time in Bristol I referred to, and heard referred to, The Downs as the plural, never Clifton Downs.

That's not to say their aren't many erroneous references online to the entire Downs area as Clifton Downs. One of the chief culprits being the Bristol Post.

Family Allowance was abolished on 6 December 1971, being replaced by Child Benefit. In the twilight of my "career" in public service a couple of years back, I would still occasionally interview a teenage mother who, in answer to the question "What income do you have?" would say "Family Allowance". If I had time on my hands, I might pretend not to know what she was talking about, consulting lists of welfare benefits and feigning bafflement. The last sentence of that segment of the conversation was invariably "Well, I calls it Family Allowance", even though the girl's grandmother didn't ever get Family Allowance for her mother. This is but one of many examples that demonstrate that corrections to nomenclature take generations to effect in Bristol.

I originally had xmas/new year 2018/9 in my diary some two years ago, but it seems they decided to bring it all forward.  The weekend closures are probably for follow up track works (tamping, clearing up etc.).  Think there might still be something going on over xmas/new year but its probably only closure of two tracks out of four (nice having these four track railways isn't?).

I'll say!

Four Track, Now!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 23:17:26 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 12, 2018, 10:40:08 »

This is but one of many examples that demonstrate that corrections to nomenclature take generations to effect in Bristol.

Where language is concerned, the angels are with those who describe rather than prescribe (or even proscribe). So at Narroways Hill Junction, it's just interesting to see this process from the outset - quite possibly someone will put up a sign soon at the junction, without the 's', and it will begin to gain currency among railway folk. However the original name of the wider area is unlikely to go away just because of a clerical error in a Network Rail design office.

Whether The Downs is known idiomatically as Clifton Downs or not, we can be fairly clear that Clifton Down station was named after Clifton Down. Were the station to be renamed Clifton Downs, that would be neither a correction nor an error, but simply an acceptance that the idiom had become mainstream. It's a bit unlikely though, as it's not very near The Downs. How about Bahnhof Zoo?

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 12, 2018, 10:51:44 »

I was just looking back through this topic and suddenly realised that we started talking about this project just over 5 years ago.  Isn't it just typical of the UK (United Kingdom) to take so long to deliver such an important infrastructure project?  Never mind, it will all change after April 2019 when we will change to being a dynamic, thrusting, progressive independent nation (whoops, exposing my political colours a little bit there Roll Eyes)......
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 12, 2018, 12:22:54 »

I'm a bit surprised to find so much talk about the name of Clifton Down station. Some of you must have too much free time! I was really thinking that people very rarely refer to either Clifton Down or Durdham Down in speech (you do see the distinction made in print), but "the Downs".

How about Bahnhof Zoo?
Animal Garden.  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 12, 2018, 12:38:18 »

I was just looking back through this topic and suddenly realised that we started talking about this project just over 5 years ago.  Isn't it just typical of the UK (United Kingdom) to take so long to deliver such an important infrastructure project? 

What about the electrification? That was announced well ahead of the Four Tracking project, and even the main 'core' of it isn't finished to Cardiff yet, let alone all the 'deferrals', one of which was Filton Bank and would have made perfect sense to work on at the same time as the four tracking / signalling upgrade over the past couple of years...  at the very least the piling work to get the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") posts in, so the lineside neighbours don't have to go through another bout of noisy works!

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 12, 2018, 12:44:21 »

I was just looking back through this topic and suddenly realised that we started talking about this project just over 5 years ago.  Isn't it just typical of the UK (United Kingdom) to take so long to deliver such an important infrastructure project? 

Took 8 years to complete the GWR (Great Western Railway) from London to Bristol, didn't it?

Still I'll tell you what: Filton Bank is turning into a bloody lovely bit o' railway!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #734 on: November 12, 2018, 12:47:44 »

I'm a bit surprised to find so much talk about the name of Clifton Down station.

Well now ... if it were called "Whiteladies Road" Station, we would be having gender discussions and the rest!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: