Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:58:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335640 times)
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: November 12, 2018, 19:51:30 »

On one of four track nows pictures it shows on the right two really old tracks and a siding that looks disconnected, I assume they will be relaying that as well.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 12, 2018, 19:56:55 »

On one of four track nows pictures it shows on the right two really old tracks and a siding that looks disconnected, I assume they will be relaying that as well.

Doubt it.  Thats the connection to Barrow Road Sidings that hasn't been active for a number of years.  Its not part of the project to relay the connection (nor it seems, clear the vegetation that has engulfed the siding).
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 12, 2018, 19:59:32 »

Love the pictures, what is that thing we can see the back of, is it a new style banner repeater?.

Yes. Its BL1812BR.

I hope they are leaving the banners for signal BL1580 as I loved seeing them off from a train, I assume signal BL1580 will be left as it is needed to route trains into filton by now having the pos 1 junction indicator for the turnout just beyond the station and the position 4 indicator for the route towards Bristol parkways platform 1. Sandt plans did not show signal positions on.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 12, 2018, 20:11:16 »

I know there have been photos a plenty in the last few days but seeing the works are rapidly coming to a conclusion I thought I'd get a couple of snaps of Filton as things are moving quite quickly now.
The new platform in the first picture is pretty much corbelled but the edging slabs are yet to go on and the platform surface is a work in progress too.
The re-profiled adjacent platform in the second photo does now have most of the edging slabs laid but again, work is needed on the platform surface.

I take it these are both looking south?

Yes, although I forgot to take one looking north which last week was the site of a great deal of spent ballast removal. Now there are new tracks with fresh ballast looking rather good.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 12, 2018, 20:16:02 »

Love the pictures, what is that thing we can see the back of, is it a new style banner repeater?.

Yes. Its BL1812BR.

I hope they are leaving the banners for signal BL1580 as I loved seeing them off from a train, I assume signal BL1580 will be left as it is needed to route trains into filton by now having the pos 1 junction indicator for the turnout just beyond the station and the position 4 indicator for the route towards Bristol parkways platform 1. Sandt plans did not show signal positions on.

Affraid not.  They are abolished.  BL1850 remains as before (but without its POSITION 4 JUNCTION INDICATOR), but is renewed due to the track slew.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 20:24:25 by SandTEngineer » Logged
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 12, 2018, 20:35:19 »

The modern railway doesn't do 'looks'...

I dunno; I think Filton Bank looks bloody brilliant - with the exception of the access to P4 at Filton Abbey Wood station, which is an utter dog's breakfast

It's not going to win any architectural prizes for sure but I'll give it until it's finished to see how it comes together. The rest of the station is no St Pancras anyway.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 12, 2018, 21:10:08 »

It's not going to win any architectural prizes for sure but I'll give it until it's finished to see how it comes together. The rest of the station is no St Pancras anyway.

No indeed, but it can be functional without looking like a Minecraft world after the endermen have paid a visit...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 12, 2018, 21:28:07 »

Yes. Its BL1812BR.

Affraid not.  They are abolished.  BL1850 remains as before (but without its POSITION 4 JUNCTION INDICATOR), but is renewed due to the track slew.

Yeah when I saw them last week I guessed they'd be coming out soon.  The left repeater was no longer needed as it was for Filton South junction which has now gone so there's no way / no need to transfer from the Up Main to Down Relief into FIT P3 like before

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 12, 2018, 21:30:43 »

Finding myself in Bristol overnight, unexpectedly good weather, and the battery in the camera that I had forgotten to take out of the car still with a spark left in it, I went to see for myself. I concur with Red Squirel - it looks just like a modern railway should, electrics excepted.

Cheers for those great pics FT,N!...  looks like you had a real good jaunt around Brizzle today taking in all those!

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 12, 2018, 22:00:55 »

That "siding" was the Midland Railway route out of Temple Meads. It still exists as far as the end of the recycling depot in Days Road, and was used to transfer household waste to landfill sites until that fell from favour. It was disconnected not many years ago, to the great sorrow of BNM and others, but was remarkably rejoined, and used for a while to store coal trucks destined for Portbury or Avonmouth. I am surprised to see that it hasn't been removed completely this time, and that it looks as though provision has been made to reconnect it if it is needed.
It actually appears on two of the pictures. If you on the right of the picture immediately underneath, you will see it almost obscured by vegetation, before it turns off behind Lidl.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 12, 2018, 22:03:15 »

Cheers for those great pics FT,N!...  looks like you had a real good jaunt around Brizzle today taking in all those!

Thanks, metalrail, although it was more point-to-point than jaunt. Lovely day for it though, until I got home.

Now, please!
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 12, 2018, 23:07:04 »

[/quote]

That "siding" was the Midland Railway route out of Temple Meads.

<snip>

It actually appears on two of the pictures. If you on the right of the picture immediately underneath, you will see it almost obscured by vegetation, before it turns off behind Lidl.
[/quote]

I hadn't realised there was a connection via the sidings.

But surely the actual Midland main line, having left the GW (Great Western) at Bristol East (on the north side), is the bridge crossing the GW on the skew north of Lawrence Hill. It then wandered off to the triangular junction at Mangotsfield, and the other end reappears just south of  Yate.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 12, 2018, 23:52:55 »

Its actually about 300m North of MULLER ROAD bridge (wherever that might be).
If you looked it up on Google Maps (or something similar) an approximate postcode would be BS7 9NZ which takes you into a retail park: the bridge in question is next to the southern end of said retail park as are some allotments.

after looking at the picture from dave harries that signal BL1818 does look a bit too tall and weired, could,nt they have just replaced the head to 4 aspect and added a junction indicator to the old one, would of been much cheaper. lastly just noticed the ones in the picture of the gantry look like the elite type, much nicer.
Interesting point. The same applies to Signals BL1981 on the line from Bath Spa, just before Bristol East Junctio: BL1981 is, for whatever reason, taller than BL1983.

Yes. Its BL1812BR.

Pity to see the BRs (British Rail(ways)) for BL1580 go as I also used to look at them when passing. I guess they will be kept for spares.

On another point I am surprised that, when I last looked over the weekend just gone, nothing has been done with BL1815 which is the starting signal for trains from Lawrence Hill towards Doctor Days Junction. This signal has been supported by a metal pole for some time so I am surprised that no opportunity has been taken to replace it.

Dave
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 13, 2018, 00:44:09 »

But surely the actual Midland main line, having left the GW (Great Western) at Bristol East (on the north side), is the bridge crossing the GW on the skew north of Lawrence Hill. It then wandered off to the triangular junction at Mangotsfield, and the other end reappears just south of  Yate.

You know, I think you're right, and that siding went under Barrow Road to St Philips.

Now, please!
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 13, 2018, 07:20:27 »

You know, I think you're right, and that siding went under Barrow Road to St Philips.

The siding - approaching from the north - left the GW on the west side (as visible in your photos) and passed under the Midland. It then curved round to the west and rose up to join the Midland's line. As you say, it went to St Philips but you could get to Temple Meads as well.

I googled this last night and was surprised to see the Midland route lasted till 1969 - any justification for keeping it having really disappeared with the Somerset & Dorset earlier in the '60s.

The curves at Westerleigh were put in at - or very shortly after - the opening of the Badminton line. The GWR (Great Western Railway) had running powers to Berkeley Road (the Severn Bridge line being GW/MR (Midland Railway) Joint, I think).

So the current "Midland" route from Brum to Bristol is a patchwork job (the Gloucester avoiding line also being GW).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: