Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:01:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335652 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: November 13, 2018, 13:33:38 »

...GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Temple Mills goods station 

...or TEMPLE MEAD as railway folk call it WinkSmiley

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bristolian

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 13, 2018, 13:35:36 »

If you look here there is an excellent section on the area we are discussing and the topic as well!

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/bristol-tm-to-severn-beach.html

Thanks for the pictures there, it showed signal no BL1815 With its pos 1 2 3 indicators on and another on the filton down when it was previously there,One thing why was the filton lines removed, only to cost NR» (Network Rail - home page) loads of money to put back, there is so much waste in this country.Not to mention the contents of a bin bag in my kitchen full of unnessary
 packaging.

The Up and Down Filton Mains were supposedly closed due to the weak condition of the former bridge over Stapleton Road, which for several years, had a permanent speed restriction over it.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 13, 2018, 13:40:44 »

BL1815 only has Position 1, 2 and 3 JUNCTION INDICATORS.  There has never been a main route from there to the UP FILTON RELIEF towards BRISTOL EAST JUNCTION, only a subsidiary one preceeded by shunt signal BL6625 leading to BARROW ROAD DEPOT.

Not at all supprised by the condition of signals at Gloucester.  NR» (Network Rail - home page) has no money for maintenance renewals these days (although might get a little bit in CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024)).

I have just been told that under CP6 That Network Rail are planning to resignal Gloucester and Cheltenham within the next 18 months, The plan he said was to put the ine from Charfield to Churchdown onto TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) And the line on towards Birmingham on to WMSC.

Does anybody know if signal BL1511 At Bristol Parkway being replaced.

Lastly the open train times map is now now out of date for the filton lines. Some signals seem to be showing OFF, when they shouldnt be.

BL1511 signal isn't being renewed but will be fitted with a flashing double yellow aspect once the Filton project is completed in the new year 2019.

There are some big NR boundary changes going to take place in the Gloucester/Cheltenham area in 2019.  I've not heard of any resignalling plans for that area yet and I would think that "in the next 18 months" probably means the start of design work only....

Isuppose the flashing double yellow on signal BL1511 is because of the signal BL1573 Which I assume will flash a single yellow on approach to the new crossovers.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 13, 2018, 13:51:50 »

The Up and Down Filton Mains were supposedly closed due to the weak condition of the former bridge over Stapleton Road, which for several years, had a permanent speed restriction over it.

To add to that: The River Froom/Frome used to run under the northern span of the old Stapleton Road viaduct, but was diverted when the M32 was built. I'm told that as the land dried out as a consequence of this, it did for the viaduct's foundations. Obviously they could have been fixed at the time, but this was the early 80's - no-one was planning for expansion; the future of the Severn Beach line was in doubt, and two tracks would just have to do.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 13, 2018, 13:55:05 »

No, its for BL1533 at Patchway Junction.  The UP TUNNEL line from the Severn Tunnel to there is going to have reversible signalling installed. For routes through the new Horfield Junction the aspect sequence will be unrestricted (due to the junction turnout speed being the same as the line speed), and BL1511 signal will show a green aspect in that case.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 13, 2018, 13:56:35 »

To add to that: The River Froom/Frome used to run under the northern span of the old Stapleton Road viaduct, but was diverted when the M32 was built. I'm told that as the land dried out as a consequence of this, it did for the viaduct's foundations. Obviously they could have been fixed at the time, but this was the early 80's - no-one was planning for expansion; the future of the Severn Beach line was in doubt, and two tracks would just have to do.

Thanks for that, see it, say it, sorted.

Severn Beach is still there and in use.

One last thing for now as I have to go to Sainsburys, Are dispatch boxes now to be fitted on Bristol parkway and filton AW stations. This would be so staff would have the close door and right away function for trains.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 14:02:51 by Dispatch Box » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 13, 2018, 15:14:21 »

I should know by now not to post something quickly just before dashing out to have lunch ...
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: November 13, 2018, 15:14:32 »

I've just had a look at the signalling records and Lawrence Hill Junction (as it was known - the Midland/LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) Connection) was taken out of use in July 1968.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: November 13, 2018, 15:15:43 »

I should know by now not to post something quickly just before dashing out to have lunch ...

Don't worry.  He has been having a go at me as well.  We will have our revenge Grin
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: November 13, 2018, 16:27:16 »

I've just had a look at the signalling records and Lawrence Hill Junction (as it was known - the Midland/LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) Connection) was taken out of use in July 1968.

For the avoidance of doubt, "Lawrence Hill Junction" was where the MR (Midland Railway)/LMS lines from St Philip's and Temple Meads joined, before going under Lawrence Hill (the road), not the junction called "Lawrence Hill Ground Frame" until recently (unless it still exists), which previously connected the sidings at Lawrence Hill Goods Yard to the line on Filton Bank north of Lawrence Hill Station - yes?

Now, what prevented two railways having junctions or signal boxes with identical names? With so much running over each others metals it would be so confusing that common suggests it oughtn't to be allowed, but railway sense may have said something else.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: November 13, 2018, 16:39:19 »

Gloucester Area resignaling was originally scheduled for 2021, with susposed reverse time improvements buy up to 2 minutes.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: November 13, 2018, 16:41:18 »

For the avoidance of doubt, "Lawrence Hill Junction" was where the MR (Midland Railway)/LMS lines from St Philip's and Temple Meads joined, before going under Lawrence Hill (the road), not the junction called "Lawrence Hill Ground Frame" until recently (unless it still exists), which previously connected the sidings at Lawrence Hill Goods Yard to the line on Filton Bank north of Lawrence Hill Station - yes?

Now, what prevented two railways having junctions or signal boxes with identical names? With so much running over each others metals it would be so confusing that common suggests it oughtn't to be allowed, but railway sense may have said something else.

Correct on the first two points (pun intended).  The Ground Frame and siding is still there and we discussed it further up thread.

On the third point, nothing prevented the duplication of a name on another railway even if jointly utilised.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: November 13, 2018, 16:43:22 »

Gloucester Area resignaling was originally scheduled for 2021, with susposed reverse time improvements buy up to 2 minutes.

Was that the CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) plan or CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) plan?
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: November 13, 2018, 17:00:04 »

Just for Grahames benefit.  This is what it all used to look like.  As well as the bits you can see there were also scissor crossings in the main platforms in the train shed that allowed two trains to access/egress to each part at any one time.

You can also just make out the Midland (LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948)) line heading away top right behind the gas holders.  Look at the size of the goods shed as well.  Anybody remember that?

And just to make sure we stay on topic the Filton lines head away north at the extreme right top.

Great seeing the line to the harbour railway on here too, running down to the left of the original passenger shed, and then down to the bottom left across the road and onwards towards Redcliffe tunnel

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 13, 2018, 17:14:17 »

Great seeing the line to the harbour railway on here too, running down to the left of the original passenger shed, and then down to the bottom left across the road and onwards towards Redcliffe tunnel

Other things of interest: The old tram terminus shed, at the foot of the incline; the tramlines which served this are still in situ; also notice the gateway structure to the left of the Old Station facade, which this had a mate to the right of the facade which was demolished for the tram terminal. Finally, the tower over the entry at the top of the incline has its steeple - unusually, this actually was destroyed by the Luftwaffe and not the town planners... I live in hope that this will be restored when Temple Meads finally gets its long-overdue makeover.

A tram terminal at Temple Meads? What nonsense I hear you say; what kind of lunatic would think it a good idea to integrate a tram system with the main railway system? Thankfully it was seen for that madness that it was, and swept away by 1941.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: