Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:53:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335639 times)
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: November 15, 2018, 00:53:45 »

Just for Grahames benefit.  This is what it all used to look like.  As well as the bits you can see there were also scissor crossings in the main platforms in the train shed that allowed two trains to access/egress to each part at any one time.

You can also just make out the Midland (LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948)) line heading away top right behind the gas holders.  Look at the size of the goods shed as well.  Anybody remember that?

And just to make sure we stay on topic the Filton lines head away north at the extreme right top.

Nice photo: thank you for sharing it although pity I can't see a bit more detail by zooming in because clicking on the image you posted doesn't make it bigger.

For my contribution to the matter of the LMS / Midland lines I have a map which gives the signalling layout through, I think, Bristol Temple Meads after the MAS had come in during the early 1930s. Seems to suggest that the connection from Bristol TM(resolve) to the Mangotsfield line ran down the left-hand side of what is now Barton Hill WRD. The map has gaps where the backing allows the map to fold up so I edited the fold bit out although it is not hard to see where. Good investment that map: cost me £50 earlier this year (IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) at a bookfair in the old passenger shed at, coincidentally, Bristol Temple Meads.

HTIOI,
Dave
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #811 on: November 15, 2018, 05:30:41 »

Just for Grahames benefit.  This is what it all used to look like.

Thank you - fascinating .... and I think it's proving of huge interest to others too  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bristolian

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 15, 2018, 06:53:03 »

Here's a view of mine, showing what used to be the Up and Down lines from the GW (Great Western) to the LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) at Barton Hill, taken from the old Days Road bridge.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/4295535347/

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 15, 2018, 09:06:31 »

F4T T-4  Grin
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 15, 2018, 10:19:08 »

Here's a view of mine, showing what used to be the Up and Down lines from the GW (Great Western) to the LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) at Barton Hill, taken from the old Days Road bridge.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/4295535347/
Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

That piccy brings back memories. That shed ? (open barn) with the whitish roof in the piccy was the overnight/weekend stabling point for the Bristol Blue Pullman set.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 15, 2018, 12:29:44 »

Does anybody know at what time the newly laid Filton Bank will be handed back to train operators.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 15, 2018, 14:09:22 »

Does anybody know at what time the newly laid Filton Bank will be handed back to train operators.

Not sure if this is normal but there is a crosscountry service timed to leave Barton Hill 0507 Monday morning and will be the first service through this area. It is going into Bristol Parkway (0519) then turning back (0531) and going to Bath Spa for 0556, and will form the 0609 to Glasgow

A freight train and an IET (Intercity Express Train) are due through there just after
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 15, 2018, 14:55:16 »

The opening notice says effective from 0520 on 19 November 2019.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 15, 2018, 19:11:12 »

The opening notice says effective from 0520 on 19 November 2019.

Lovely, Thanks for that.
XPT

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 15, 2018, 20:35:22 »

Will there be two new platforms at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road?  Even though they would be on the fast lines and most of the time would not be used.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 15, 2018, 21:22:01 »

Will there be two new platforms at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road?  Even though they would be on the fast lines and most of the time would not be used.

There are no FAST (Federation Against Software Theft) LINES and there won't be any platforms.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 16, 2018, 08:51:17 »

There are no FAST (Federation Against Software Theft) LINES and there won't be any platforms.

It's been discussed before, but I still don't understand: Does anyone know the operational or logical reasoning behind making passive provision for a four-platform station at Ashley Hill, whilst (in the same package of works) demolishing the main line platforms at Stapleton Road? Lawrence Hill is perhaps more debatable, but Stapleton Road was historically an interchange and could have been again...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 16, 2018, 10:07:05 »

Passive provision is just space. It doesn't have to be filled and unless it involves extensively repositioning other things, it doesn't cost anything much. Any future station would need a platform on each "relief" line and the down platform being an island doesn't mean both sides have to be used, as Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Rd show. Perhaps this is overly cynical, I don't know...

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 16, 2018, 10:50:18 »

Passive provision is just space. It doesn't have to be filled and unless it involves extensively repositioning other things, it doesn't cost anything much. Any future station would need a platform on each "relief" line and the down platform being an island doesn't mean both sides have to be used, as Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Rd show. Perhaps this is overly cynical, I don't know...

There has been talk of a station at Constable Road but I can't see that there has been 'passive provision' for a station at that location but due to the existing (and historical) infrastructure the site of the former Horfield station has the looks of 'passive provision' for a station but that location is too near Filton Abbey Wood for a station, however from the piccys posted on this thread the 'passive provision' for a station on the site of the former Ashley Hill station would tend to serve the Lockleaze area just as well as one at Constable Road as the walk from most parts of Lockleaze would entail a walk along Constable Road itself whereas a phoenix of a station arising from the remains of the former Ashley Hill would entail a walk down Romney Avenue / Shaldon Road crossing Muller Road and up the track previously mentioned in a post of mine on this thread.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 16, 2018, 11:59:25 »

S&TE's diagram shows passive provision for a four-platform station. While this passive provision was being made, Stapleton Road was being actively 'deprovisioned'.

There has been talk of a station at Constable Road but I can't see that there has been 'passive provision' for a station at that location but due to the existing (and historical) infrastructure the site of the former Horfield station has the looks of 'passive provision' for a station but that location is too near Filton Abbey Wood for a station, however from the piccys posted on this thread the 'passive provision' for a station on the site of the former Ashley Hill station would tend to serve the Lockleaze area just as well as one at Constable Road as the walk from most parts of Lockleaze would entail a walk along Constable Road itself whereas a phoenix of a station arising from the remains of the former Ashley Hill would entail a walk down Romney Avenue / Shaldon Road crossing Muller Road and up the track previously mentioned in a post of mine on this thread.

I seem to remember that NR» (Network Rail - home page) are only prepared to schedule a single stop between Stapleton Road and Filton Abbey Wood. As to the Horfield Halt site: this is now full of high-speed pointwork, and there's nothing left of the old infrastructure... hard to see how that would ever be rebuilt.

Ashley Hill is a good location - potential for really good access, and handy for Fairfield School, City of Bristol College, The County Ground, Gloucester Road - OK, I'm biased; near me too.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: