I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:52:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335746 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: November 16, 2018, 12:09:56 »

I've resisted linking to all the twittage that NR» (Network Rail - home page) have been blurting of late, on the assumption that you can find it as well as I can if you're interested(!), but this one is worth looking at because in the background you can see the one bit of track we've not been able to get at - by Dovercourt Road Allotments: https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1063401565883633664

By the way, David, 'enormity' refers to monstrous evil... I think 'size' would have been a better word!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 16, 2018, 13:02:55 »

Why is everything NR» (Network Rail - home page) does is 'challenging' Roll Eyes

Interesting to note the Major Projects Manager hasn't been on the track much (he has a blue safety helmet).
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 16, 2018, 13:08:52 »

I seem to remember that NR» (Network Rail - home page) are only prepared to schedule a single stop between Stapleton Road and Filton Abbey Wood. As to the Horfield Halt site: this is now full of high-speed pointwork, and there's nothing left of the old infrastructure... hard to see how that would ever be rebuilt.

Ashley Hill is a good location - potential for really good access, and handy for Fairfield School, City of Bristol College, The County Ground, Gloucester Road - OK, I'm biased; near me too.

Yeah they said a few years back that the option of both a Horfield and Ashley Hill station had been ruled out so only one would be provided.  The fact - like you've said - that the old Horfield station site has now been completely obliterated and turned into the new 'Horfield Junction' completely rules out re-instating the station there, plus it is very close to FIT

Ashley Hill will make a really good midway point between FIT and SRD with a large catchment area, and lots of local amenities that you mention that could benefit from it

Doesn't make sense to me having the platforms on the 2 main lines, just the 2 on the relief lines should suffice perfectly well, along with the 2 both at LWH and SRD.  Any stopping trains running down from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) will be switched onto the relief's at Horfield Junction anyway, so would then be able to call at Ashley Hill, along with SRD where you could change to the Severn Beach line

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 16, 2018, 13:24:51 »

Why is everything NR» (Network Rail - home page) does is 'challenging' Roll Eyes

I'd prefer the phrase "doing our job"
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 16, 2018, 13:26:31 »

I seem to remember that NR» (Network Rail - home page) are only prepared to schedule a single stop between Stapleton Road and Filton Abbey Wood. As to the Horfield Halt site: this is now full of high-speed pointwork, and there's nothing left of the old infrastructure... hard to see how that would ever be rebuilt.

Ashley Hill is a good location - potential for really good access, and handy for Fairfield School, City of Bristol College, The County Ground, Gloucester Road - OK, I'm biased; near me too.

Yeah they said a few years back that the option of both a Horfield and Ashley Hill station had been ruled out so only one would be provided.  The fact - like you've said - that the old Horfield station site has now been completely obliterated and turned into the new 'Horfield Junction' completely rules out re-instating the station there, plus it is very close to FIT

Ashley Hill will make a really good midway point between FIT and SRD with a large catchment area, and lots of local amenities that you mention that could benefit from it

Doesn't make sense to me having the platforms on the 2 main lines, just the 2 on the relief lines should suffice perfectly well, along with the 2 both at LWH and SRD.  Any stopping trains running down from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) will be switched onto the relief's at Horfield Junction anyway, so would then be able to call at Ashley Hill, along with SRD where you could change to the Severn Beach line

Sorted this is the best plan.

I assume that trains from Gloucester will use the relief lines as many trains also stop Stapleton and Lawrence.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 16, 2018, 13:36:38 »

F4T  T-3  Smiley
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 16, 2018, 14:25:09 »

Passive provision is just space. It doesn't have to be filled and unless it involves extensively repositioning other things, it doesn't cost anything much. Any future station would need a platform on each "relief" line and the down platform being an island doesn't mean both sides have to be used, as Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Rd show. Perhaps this is overly cynical, I don't know...

S&TE's diagram shows passive provision for a four-platform station. While this passive provision was being made, Stapleton Road was being actively 'deprovisioned'.
I presume the old main line platforms at Stapleton Rd were demolished because that made the four-tracking easier. They certainly had a lot of plant there.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 16, 2018, 14:33:35 »

F4T  T-3  Smiley

Smiley Smiley Smiley

The thought have having to mix it with the binners for another Friday morning school run makes me feel physically sick. I'm not expecting everything to be working on Monday, but please please let it be sorted by Friday!

Thank you - at last I understand! Why allow for 4 platforms at Ashley Hill though?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: November 16, 2018, 15:25:40 »

I assume that trains from Gloucester will use the relief lines as many trains also stop Stapleton and Lawrence.

With the current timetable, yeah the local hourly xx.19 to xx.23 GWR (Great Western Railway) stopping services from Gloucester / Worcester / Great Malvern will have to switch to the relief lines at the new Horfield Junction as they're currently the only regular southbound services from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) that stop at SRD & LWH, and after Horfield Junction there's no other way to reach the relief's

However all of the current XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services switching to the main lines, along with the future IET (Intercity Express Train) services to be introduced in the future, that should allow more trains to serve SRD & LWH in both directions

Currently the xx.12 hourly WSM service starting at BPW doesn't call at these stations southbound, but does on it's return from WSM to BPW.  So with more capacity on the bank now being introduced, so long as they switch either the long distance stoppers or the WSM service to a different time, we'd be able to have a hourly service stopping all stations down the bank and back again to / from BPW (which i'd personally be grateful for!)  Wink

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 16, 2018, 15:27:38 »

Thank you - at last I understand! Why allow for 4 platforms at Ashley Hill though?

I'm assuming it's exactly that, just allowing for them, even though it's 99% likely that platforms would only actually be built on the relief's

Guess we have to be grateful that they've been allowed for in the first place...  nice to know forward planning has actually happened in this case! 

metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 16, 2018, 15:30:28 »

I presume the old main line platforms at Stapleton Rd were demolished because that made the four-tracking easier. They certainly had a lot of plant there.

The 2 new main lines were actually laid with the old P4 and the full island platform still in situ so there was plenty of room for the platform to stay.  My understanding is that they've had to remove P4 to incorporate the 2km new log flume access ramp to the footbridge that isn't being opened until April!   Wink

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 16, 2018, 15:49:55 »

Exciting news from the Evening Bristol. However did they find out about this?

When the Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway rail line will finally reopen revealed

Your time on rail replacement bus services is coming to an end

The railway line between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway train stations will reopen next week after upgrade works were completed on schedule.

Network Rail has confirmed the line between the two stations will reopen following nearly a month of works on Monday (November 19) morning.

During that time, crews have worked around the clock do double the number of existing railway lines and improve signalling equipment.

It is hoped doubling the number of tracks from two to four will enable an increase in train services, including more journeys between Bristol and London.

More here: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/when-temple-meads-parkway-reopen-2225132

Good choice of picture: GWR (Great Western Railway) Driver Mr Sydney Gardens drives an InterCity Express train through Lockleaze. How many tracks can you see?

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: November 16, 2018, 16:00:58 »

Because even a plain ladder crossover is Complex
https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1060108439521767424

Does that mean it has real and imaginary parts?

By which adjective would NR describe this? :-
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/dbduck2010/media/bWVkaWFJZDo3NDcxMTI3MQ==/?ref=

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 16, 2018, 17:30:08 »

Exciting news from the Evening Bristol. However did they find out about this?
It is hoped doubling the number of tracks from two to four will enable an increase in train services, including more journeys between Bristol and London...
^^^
So it’s a case of build it then work out what it can be used for?   Roll Eyes

Paul
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 16, 2018, 17:57:17 »

Nowadays?  Impossible!  Wink

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: