Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:36:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[85] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[36] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[34] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[33] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 335861 times)
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 19, 2018, 19:44:10 »

Is there really not a crossover at Dr Days Junction to get from the relief line to Feeder Bridge Junction?
Bristolian

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 19, 2018, 19:50:45 »

Is there really not a crossover at Dr Days Junction to get from the relief line to Feeder Bridge Junction?

Yes, there is!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #917 on: November 19, 2018, 21:06:36 »

Am I right in thinking that trains heading to Temple Meads from Filton Abbey Wood can now stop at both platforms 1 and 3, which are separated by the footbridge? If so, it will make it awkward deciding which one to wait at.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 19, 2018, 21:56:53 »

You want MORE?

I'm now stuck in Huntingdon, so YES please!

Tenerife,  me. Of all the times I  could  have gone on holiday, and now I'm laid  out on a sunbed by the pool, with nothing to console me but sangria and  Mrs FT, N!

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 19, 2018, 22:05:43 »

Am I right in thinking that trains heading to Temple Meads from Filton Abbey Wood can now stop at both platforms 1 and 3, which are separated by the footbridge? If so, it will make it awkward deciding which one to wait at.

I hope there are some sort of electronic signs  to help the poor traveller.

Now, please!
lympstone_commuter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 19, 2018, 22:21:30 »

The new layout now appears on traksy:

https://traksy.uk/live/M+25+PATCHWY+11
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 19, 2018, 22:34:10 »

What you CAN'T do is to get from the Down Filton Main (the new bit) to St Philips Marsh Depot.  The Rhubarb curve is bidirectional, and to get to St Philips Marsh a train has to travel on the right-hand track.  (I can't remember which is up and which is down at the moment - not got my drawings in front of me - and anyway, directions have to change when going round one side of a triangle). Anyhow, there's no route to get from the down Filton Main to the right-hand track.  So any ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) trains for the depot will have to use the Down Filton Relief.  That'll catch an unwary signaller out.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 20, 2018, 07:47:47 »

Had a browse at both Trackit and Tracksy but to my scrutiny neither is correct.

Trackit does not show the link from Parkway platform 1 to the down Filton curve but does show this line as if it were the headshunt from Stoke Gifford yard.

Traksy shows the Horfield Junction as if it were just a straight double junction whereas photos posted on this thread show the junction as more of a ladder junction, compare it to Narroways Junction on the same display.

Neither shows the exit from Stoke Gifford yard in the down direction as a double slip.

There maybe other omissions which I haven't spotted so am I being too nit picking ?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 20, 2018, 07:53:48 »

For ease of reference S&T (Signalling and Telegraph)'s excellent diagrams can be found at posts #322 and #455 (these are links)

Does this help
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 20, 2018, 08:08:01 »

Had a browse at both Trackit and Tracksy but to my scrutiny neither is correct.

Trackit does not show the link from Parkway platform 1 to the down Filton curve but does show this line as if it were the headshunt from Stoke Gifford yard.

Traksy shows the Horfield Junction as if it were just a straight double junction whereas photos posted on this thread show the junction as more of a ladder junction, compare it to Narroways Junction on the same display.

Neither shows the exit from Stoke Gifford yard in the down direction as a double slip.

There maybe other omissions which I haven't spotted so am I being too nit picking ?

I did consult the two S&T (Signalling and Telegraph)'s excellent diagrams before posting to ensure accuracy in the above post.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #925 on: November 20, 2018, 08:41:50 »

Of course there are, but this is actually a serious matter, not a facetious one. My partner, who is female, commutes back from Filton every day, often having to catch trains late in the evening. It is not the sort of place she wants to hang around alone in the dark, and has little protection from the elements, so if the train to Oldfield Park is late, she will catch the first train to Temple Meads. This was easy when they all arrived at the same platform, but now would involve making a last minute decision, when the train is approaching, to go over the footbridge to the other platform.

There is presumably no reason why just one platform cannot be used for all Temple Meads services. Few, possibly none, are going to be passing others en route.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 20, 2018, 09:11:33 »

Wouldn’t using one platform for all trains cause unnecessary congestion in the event of delays, reduce capacity and introduce unnecessary conflicting moves crossing trains over at Filton Junction?

There’s a reason why four tracks were relaid and that’s to maximise flexibility leading to a reduction in delays and allowing two more trains an hour (at least) to operate.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #927 on: November 20, 2018, 09:25:01 »

Wouldn’t using one platform for all trains cause unnecessary congestion in the event of delays, reduce capacity and introduce unnecessary conflicting moves crossing trains over at Filton Junction?

There’s a reason why four tracks were relaid and that’s to maximise flexibility leading to a reduction in delays and allowing two more trains an hour (at least) to operate.

Of course there are, but this is actually a serious matter, not a facetious one. ....

Logic is to have excellent dynamic signage on the bridge "Next train to Bristol Temple Meads will leave at [time] from [platform]" - which is something that's straightforward to do.  One hopes that as the timetable settles in, late changes to line will be negligible.

This reminds me of my youth - communing outbound from the suburban station of Petts Wood in south London which was on 4 tracks ... my regular train - the 07:39 to Orpington / change for the Sevenoaks express was scheduled on platform 4 but on a significant minority of days arrived on platform 2.   Made all the harder to catch because the change was un-announced and the train appeared from a sideline ("round the corner" in Filton terms?) and the change was only apparent a handful of seconds before it pulled in.

In those days, the rail industry took little care of this school traffic, or the contra-flows in the peak and it was very easy to miss;  the departure board at the gate line rarely warning of the change.   I was very fortunate that my Dad caught the 07:43 from platform 1 and would walk across to the 07:39 if it mis-platformed and hold the door open while I dashed across; alas, a unique solution I don't think you have at Filton?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 20, 2018, 10:26:18 »

Think I already mentioned that the Bristol Parkway Platform No.1 to Filton loop connection shown on my diagram doesn't get commissioned until xmas 2018/new year 2019.  After that it will be possible for local stopping trains from the Bristol Parkway direction to use Filton Abbey Wood Platform No.2 which is the opposite side of the island platform to Platform No.3 used by local stopping trains from the Pilning direction.  I would assume (!) thats how the timetable would work, so only need to wait on the Island platform for a Bristol TM(resolve) service.  If not then a lot of wasted infrastructure has ben installed.....
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 20, 2018, 10:30:57 »

So which services will use Platform 1?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 75
  Print  

Jump to: