17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 06:42:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75
  Print  
Author Topic: Four track for Filton Bank - ongoing discussion  (Read 337132 times)
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: December 25, 2018, 13:41:13 »

Is there any more works at filton or Bristol east junction this xmas.

Signalling work at Parkway, electrification work in the Severn Tunnel until 1 January, work to finish Filton Abbey Wood, and I think building work at Stapleton Road. Plus tamping along the whole length of the line along Filton Bank. More here.

Thought they had already electrified the tunnel 2 years ago, just needing a switch on.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 23:05:27 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 02, 2019, 12:24:26 »

Has the final phase of the signalling of the filton bank been completed, allowing trains from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) to run to plat 2 at FAW?.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 09, 2019, 12:56:17 »

For those who like this kind of thing, here's a timelapse of the Filton Bank blockade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPVh1xb3XjM

I'm a huge fan of the LEMs - they remind me of Huey, Duey and Louie on Silent Running...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 09, 2019, 22:02:11 »

For those who like this kind of thing, here's a timelapse of the Filton Bank blockade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPVh1xb3XjM

I'm a huge fan of the LEMs - they remind me of Huey, Duey and Louie on Silent Running...

Not the LEM Lunar Excursion Modules of the moon program but the Huey, Duey and Louie  thing makes a nice link. Top film IMO (in my opinion) though.
Incidentally, had a look at progress at Stapleton Road Station a couple of days back with the now very progressed bridge ramp. To me it makes the whole place look more, well, "Stationy" and looking less forlorn than the old bare platforms post demolition of the old original structures. Not pretty, I grant you but looking less neglected.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:20 »

Another video has appeared.  It shows the route between Bristol East Junction and Westerleigh Junction taken from a rear cab https://youtu.be/VrTpXo-uiz4
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #1085 on: January 11, 2019, 10:55:40 »

Slightly off-topic, but now that Filton Bank four tracking is done, will the extra trains from Bristol TM(resolve) - Bristol PW (Permanent Way) to Paddington be starting soon, in May?, or will we have to wait for other work to be done first?
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 11, 2019, 11:01:16 »

Another video has appeared.  It shows the route between Bristol East Junction and Westerleigh Junction taken from a rear cab https://youtu.be/VrTpXo-uiz4

Fantastic video.  Perfect way to see the whole of the new infrastructure, not just up the bank but also the new electrification right up to Westerleigh Junction

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 11, 2019, 11:31:25 »

Yes, and Bristol Parkway looks completely different to how I last saw it. Next due to see it on 27 January 2019.  Still some signalling works to complete there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:24:40 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 11, 2019, 11:50:48 »

Fantastic video.  Perfect way to see the whole of the new infrastructure, not just up the bank but also the new electrification right up to Westerleigh Junction

Fantastic, I was really glued to that, could not believe how it has so changed, many banner signals installed, they were not there the last time I went to Bristol, appx last June. The bridge above the signal with its five junction indicators on, was not there, they had just removed an old one. I was so glued that I nearly forgot to eat my activia.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 18:35:51 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 11, 2019, 11:53:04 »

Yes, and Bristol Parkway looks completly different to how I last saw it. Next due to see it on 27 January 2019.  Still some signalling works to complete there.

What signalling is needed now then?. I am about to move soon so I shall have a ride down in early February.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 18:37:16 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 11, 2019, 13:04:56 »

Slightly off-topic, but now that Filton Bank four tracking is done, will the extra trains from Bristol TM(resolve) - Bristol PW (Permanent Way) to Paddington be starting soon, in May?, or will we have to wait for other work to be done first?

Not yet, I think the hope would be at the end of this year, but we'll have to wait and see.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 14, 2019, 19:17:47 »

Not yet, I think the hope would be at the end of this year, but we'll have to wait and see.

Any going towards Weston?
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 15, 2019, 21:53:40 »

When will the remaining signalling works be completed to bring into use the two way working of platform 2 at FAW?.

Asked about again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:23:45 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 25, 2020, 17:50:46 »

I'm struggling to understand the constraints at either end of Filton Bank. Presumably the works at BEJ will give more routing options and flexibility, but what about the other end? I feel S&TE may have explained all this (possibly more than once) but I've just spent half an hour staring at the track diagrams and I'm not the wiser, and not much better informed...

Can anyone help?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 25, 2020, 19:55:58 »

I'm struggling to understand the constraints at either end of Filton Bank. Presumably the works at BEJ will give more routing options and flexibility, but what about the other end? I feel S&TE may have explained all this (possibly more than once) but I've just spent half an hour staring at the track diagrams and I'm not the wiser, and not much better informed...

Can anyone help?

This was my ... criticism of the layout, I guess. To simplify it a bit:

• P3 and P4 should by rights be the stopping platforms, but...
  • Trains can only use P3 and P4 if they also use the Relief Lines at LWH and SRD and transit the tunnel, or if they terminate and reverse.
  • That leads to most through stopping trains using P1 and P2, as of course do the fast non-stop trains.
  • There is not enough room (time) for all those trains, including the Bristol local ones, in P1 and P2.
  • Turning the local trains at FIT instead of BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) means they use quite a lot of time moving from P4 to P3, which uses up some of the spare time on that side - but not usefully.
  • The layout also means that trains stopping BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and FIT and not between, and going via the tunnel, cannot use the Main Lines to/from BRI.
  • So, looked at that way, some of those crossovers are the wrong way round.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75
  Print  

Jump to: