Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:33:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign to save Aristotle Lane level crossing from closure by Network Rail  (Read 26284 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: November 03, 2013, 17:53:01 »

From the Oxford Mail:

All aboard for rail plan rumpus

Ian Salisbury at the level crossing OX61564 Ric Mellis

An allotment holder applied for permission to build his own railway line to make a point. But it didn^t turn out the way he had expected and to his surprise Ian Salisbury, of Lathbury Road, Oxford, had his plan approved by the city council.

Mr Salisbury has been fighting Network Rail plans to build a new freight line from Oxford Station to Wolvercote and the closure of a crossing.

Because of that and other work, like electrification and redevelopment of Oxford station, rail traffic going through the Aristotle Lane crossing in North Oxford will double from 11 trains per hour to 22 by 2019.

Trains will also travel at up to 90mph ^ 20mph faster than now ^ and railway officials say the level crossing will be too risky for use. Mr Salisbury was hoping his application would be rejected to prove that Network Rail will not be able to get permission for its line.

He said: ^I am thinking about what to do next. I have a further option but I am keeping it up my sleeve. I am not an expert but what the law says is that when new track is laid they have to make a planning application and if there is an objection the Secretary of State will appoint an inspector to allow people to make representations. That is what we have not been allowed to do.^

Mr Salisbury said the level crossing was ^low risk^ with no accidents in its 175-year history.

Network Rail claims it has permitted development rights, which means it does not have to apply for planning permission.

Network Rail has said it will rebuild the Aristotle Lane footbridge which is around 100 yards from the level crossing.

In February, the city council agreed to give up its rights over the footpath, but it will only close once improvements have been made to the bridge.

Oxford City Council officer Hannah Revell said work Network Rail is carrying out is lawful and so Mr Salisbury^s plans were approved.

A Network Rail spokesman said: ^There are major enhancements planned and this investment will result in more capacity and trains at higher speeds ^ these factors represent an increase in risk of someone being struck by a train.^
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 18:08:55 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
martvw

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 20:54:10 »

Is this not the relaying/extension of the former down goods loop line that existed up until 1973 , so is not a new freight line, but the reinstatement of the old loop line " as network rail says it is putting track back" so does not need planning permission ?
Busboy W1

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:10:04 »

I wouldn't mind seeing the plans for the proposed Railway by the man in question. As long as he doesn't want to knock through my flat it could make for another tourist attraction for Oxford !
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:17:11 »

That old freight line is being extended almost to Wolvercot junction - although it is staying with the railway boundary. It's almost complete too.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 15:19:42 »

Oxford Mail:

"Network Rail claims it has permitted development rights, which means it does not have to apply for planning permission."

It isn't a claim, it definitely does have permitted development rights, almost always allowed for under the original Act for the relevant railway.  I'm surprised the Oxford Mail didn't know that...

Paul

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 19:51:30 »

Oxford Mail:

"Network Rail claims it has permitted development rights, which means it does not have to apply for planning permission."

It isn't a claim, it definitely does have permitted development rights, almost always allowed for under the original Act for the relevant railway.  I'm surprised the Oxford Mail didn't know that...

Not the original Act as that normally pre-dates the planning system. You will find it in:

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995, Schedule 2

PART 17 DEVELOPMENT BY STATUTORY UNDERTAKERS
Class A Railway or light railway undertakings

A.    Permitted development

Development by railway undertakers on their operational land, required in connection with the movement of traffic by rail.

A.1    Development not permitted

Development is not permitted by Class A if it consists of or includes^

(a)the construction of a railway,
  (b)the construction or erection of a hotel, railway station or bridge, or
  (c)the construction or erection otherwise than wholly within a railway station of^[/li][/list]
     (i)an office, residential or educational building, or a building used for an industrial process, or
     (ii)a car park, shop, restaurant, garage, petrol filling station or other building or structure provided under transport legislation.

A.2    Interpretation of Class A

For the purposes of Class A, references to the construction or erection of any building or structure include references to the reconstruction or alteration of a building or structure where its design or external appearance would be materially affected.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 20:42:58 »

Part 17 covers anything a "statutory undertaker" does, irrespective of any other acts.
Part 11 covers development under local or private acts or orders, such as a railway act.

PART 11
DEVELOPMENT UNDER LOCAL OR PRIVATE ACTS OR ORDERS

Class A

Permitted development
A. Development authorised by^
(a) a local or private Act of Parliament,
(b) an order approved by both Houses of Parliament, or
(c) an order under section 14 or 16 of the Harbours Act 196431(orders for
securing harbour efficiency etc., and orders conferring powers for improvement, construction etc. of harbours) which designates specifically the nature of the development authorised and the land upon which it may be carried out.

Condition
A.1. Development is not permitted by Class A if it consists of or includes^
(a) the erection, construction, alteration or extension of any building, bridge, aqueduct, pier or dam, or
(b) the formation, laying out or alteration of a means of access to any highway used by vehicular traffic,
unless the prior approval of the appropriate authority to the detailed plans and specifications is first obtained.

Prior approvals
A.2. The prior approval referred to in paragraph A.1 is not to be refused by the appropriate authority nor are conditions to be imposed unless they are satisfied that^
(a) the development (other than the provision of or works carried out to a dam) ought to be and could reasonably be carried out elsewhere on the land; or
(b) the design or external appearance of any building, bridge, aqueduct, pier or dam would injure the amenity of the neighbourhood and is reasonably capable of modification to avoid such injury.

Interpretation of Class A
A. 3. In Class A, ^appropriate authority^ means^
(a) in Greater London or a metropolitan county, the local planning authority,
(b) in a National Park in England, outside a metropolitan county, the county planning authority,

For Reading, NR» (Network Rail - home page) claimed permitted status under part 17 for the viaduct and associated works, applying for permission for anything that is a bridge or building. For the station, they claimed permitted status under part 11 and only applied for permission within the "limited grounds set out in A 2 of part 11".

At Oxford, I think that building or rebuilding a track within an existing railway does not count as "constructing a railway" so is permitted.

stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 18:18:43 »

So far as I am aware, this is merely relaying the old goods line - and I thought it was still in existence in the 1990s.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 18:23:47 »

Indeed, see the earlier thread on the cutting down of trees north of Oxford which quotes an Oxford Mail article referring to the "reinstatement" of the goods line.

By the way, isn't the removal of level crossings supposed to be a "good thing" in safety terms? I recall the thread that ran a while back on the Yarnton level crossing accident in 2012. As I recall it, these local people use the crossing to get to their allotments complete with bags of fertiliser etc in wheelbarrows. Sounds like an accident/fatality waiting to happen.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 19:08:44 »

Sounds like an accident/fatality waiting to happen.

It is, and will be more so when the linespeed of the current 'down Jericho' is increased dramatically, bi-directionally signalled and the 'down passenger loop' is extended with high speed as well.  Local residents who have to put up with train horns blaring most of the day at the crossing warning boards will also benefit greatly when it's closed.  Particularly frustrating for Network Rail, given there's a perfectly good footbridge route a few yards away (which would be even better with small improvements) which is a slightly longer way round but avoids crossing the tracks entirely.

I wonder how Ian Salisbury (an Evergreen 3 objector too) would find the company at lunch of bereaved parents who've had their loved ones killed at similar crossings over the years?  And I wonder how he'd feel if the crossing stayed open and there was a fatal accident sometime in the future? 

Tackley, just down the line, had the option of removing the crossing by the station many years ago when Virgin's 'Operation Princess' improvements were being installed, but objected to an underpass as it meant those people on horseback would have to dismount.  A few years later an elderly woman was killed.  I wonder if anyone who was involved in preventing that from happening has any regrets?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 21:06:21 »

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report in that fatality at Tackley is here - http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/090330_R092009_Tackley.pdf

The safety assessment of the crossing is contained in that report.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 00:32:17 »

We have also discussed the Tackley level crossing previously, in some detail, in another topic at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2432
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 00:38:42 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 11:58:52 »

Is this a vehicle crossing it doesn't look wide enough. But won't Network Rail have to provide a footbridge presumably ramped?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 14:05:16 »

Aristotle Lane crossing is a foot crossing - see http://www.panoramio.com/photo/37565682:

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 15:13:21 »

There already seems to be a bridge only about 50 metres away.  A new ramp from that providing access into the allotments should be all that is required.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: