Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:52:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: East Coast rail franchise - ongoing discussion  (Read 16259 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2018, 13:03:58 »

I put "comfortable seats" a fair way down my list because this is  so subjective and open to differing interpretations.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:56:41 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2018, 15:56:53 »

Whilst I would hope for a smart livery, this is a long way down my list of concerns.
Higher priorities are on board facilities and comfort.
Restaurant
Buffet
Luggage space
Leg room
Tables
Windows
Air conditioning that works
Toilets that work, including the emptying of retention tanks and filling of water tanks
Comfortable seats
Gangwayed throughout
Peak fares high enough to deter overcrowding and off peak fares low enough to make best use of the trains

External livery can hardly be seen once on board so is a LONG way down my list of preferences.

Myself, considering the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s have to be put into some kind of livery id rather its a decent one that will last for a long time(no matter if the franchise changes) rather than the constant repainting thats happened since GNER (Great North Eastern Railways).   Secondly I want food served at my seat, by polite staff, enough seats to cater for demand throughout the journey with a few(2 or 3 seats) per coach spare. Clean toilets yes, gangway-ed throughout is preferred, but then so is having engines at each end of the train and coaches in the middle with nothing underneath, I wonder where we could find that?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2018, 19:47:52 »

The London North Eastern Railway website went live overnight. Ahead of the official handover this Sunday 24th June 2018.

www.lner.co.uk

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2018, 08:44:49 »

The London North Eastern Railway website went live overnight. Ahead of the official handover this Sunday 24th June 2018.

www.lner.co.uk

Apart from a few small changes (like hiring a red carpet carriage for your exclusive use) the site is so far a copy of Virgin East Coast...as one might expect.  They have decided on an economically sensible decision to keep a similar colour scheme.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2018, 16:57:37 »

Back in 2014, when First Group didn't with the ICEC franchise, there was comment (here and elsewhere) that they could fall out of the rail business altogether if they didn't win something soon. Today the Times was saying much the same about Stagecoach, on the grounds that they are down to their last two (or 1.49, if you're fussy) franchises, both in the process of reletting. They are also shortlisted for one more (SER) they could win before the count drops to zero, or else...
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2018, 18:46:43 »

Not just East Coast but more meddling too come !
I will just leave this here.
https://amp.ft.com/content/48a17bcc-b042-11e8-8d14-6f049d06439c
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2018, 19:05:14 »

Behind a pay wall

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2018, 19:48:46 »

The article in full:

Theresa May prepares UK (United Kingdom) rail franchising shake-up
PM seeks to improve the railways without abandoning the use of private operators

Theresa May is drawing up plans for what Downing Street is billing as the biggest review of the UK’s rail franchising system since the 1990s privatisation in the wake of the collapse of the East Coast main line earlier this year.

The prime minister is understood to have authorised a major review — likely to be headed by an external figurehead — to examine how to improve the railways without abandoning the use of private operators. The consultation is expected to last until well into 2019.

The plan was raised in a meeting at Number 10 on Tuesday morning hosted by Gavin Barwell, Mrs May’s chief of staff, and attended by ministers from various departments. One person familiar with the situation said the plan was being driven by Chris Grayling, transport secretary, with the authorisation of Downing Street.

Mr Barwell also said at Tuesday’s meeting that the government would take action on rail fares as soon as possible, an official said.

However, the review still needs approval from the Treasury, which is not entirely supportive.

The proposals would be the second major review of the franchise system in five years. The government-commissioned “Brown Review”, triggered by problems with the West Coast franchise, reported in 2013 that the system was “not fundamentally flawed”.

That conclusion was jolted in May when the government was forced to take back control of the East Coast franchise after it collapsed for the third time in 12 years — prompting fears that other operators could walk away from contracts.

The opposition Labour party plans to nationalise the entire rail system, although the 25 private franchises would only return to public hands as they come up for tender.

Number 10 will not countenance following suit, although it is understood to be otherwise open-minded about the review. A Department for Transport official confirmed the plan was “being looked at” but declined to comment further.

Stagecoach and Virgin Group had only been operating the London to Scotland line for two years when they breached a key financial covenant.

Mr Grayling originally supported an alternative plan that would have allowed the two private companies to keep running the line under a management contract. Instead he stripped them of their contract five years before it was due to end, in part because of Number 10’s fears about a potential public backlash.

The government had run the line from 2009 to 2015 after a previous operator, National Express, walked away from the contract.

Mrs May has also expressed frustration about mass delays and cancellations of rail services across the country in June following the botched introduction of new timetables, describing the disruption as “absolutely unacceptable”.

East Coast rail line failure leaves Chris Grayling with stark choices
Meanwhile the public accounts committee of MPs (Member of Parliament) issued a report in April warning that the rail franchising system was “broken” at the expense of customers. The PAC accused the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) of failing to learn the lessons from previous failures when it allowed Stagecoach and Virgin to overbid for East Coast.

The May government has already sought to overhaul the railways by trying to bring the running of trains and track much closer.

Under those reforms, announced at the end of 2017, there will be greater collaboration between private train operators and state-owned Network Rail, which maintains infrastructure, in an effort to make services more reliable.

The rail industry has said it would prefer power and responsibility to be devolved to regional “routes”, potentially with concessions lasting two or three decades, rather than franchises for seven years, allowing for long-term investment.

The railways were first privatised by the John Major government in 1994, when the track was spun off into the now defunct Railtrack and train operating companies competed to run the trains. Network Rail, which took over from Railtrack, was subsequently renationalised.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2018, 21:32:48 »

Thank you to BNM for posting the full article I linked to it from my Twitter feed and had no problem.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: