05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 09:08:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: All change at Aller Junction  (Read 7212 times)
chopper1944

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2013, 16:01:16 »

It is almost a year since work commenced on the South Devon Link Road and the area which shows the most change to date with huge mounds of earth and cuttings is the area around Aller Junction. Gone is the viewing point where the Main line to Plymouth and Cornwall and the Torquay branch diverged blocked by large concrete walls. It is also possible to see where the tunnel which will take the road over the Torquay branch will be situated. In addition three culverts will be installed directly under the 4 tracks from Newton Abbot over the Christmas period as part of the flood prevention scheme. Let us hope the engineers have got their calculations correct as it would be a nightmare if the line ever became flooded a la Cowley bridge. In addition another favourite viewing spot will disappear forever, the existing twin arch bridge over the four tracks between Newton Abbot and Aller Junction will be demolished and removed on Christmas Day. I understand that buses will replace trains on the Torquay branch on 27 and 28 |December
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 18:46:04 »

Each time I go to Torbay it is so strange seeing how the valley keeps changing.

Sad really!

Had plenty of time to admire it sat in traffic though... Cheesy
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:15:28 »

Yet more countryside bulldozed for a road that will just shift the traffic jam somewhere else.
Not doubt the real reason for this road is to allow greedy developers to buy up the land on either side as it is "no longer open countryside" so might as well be built on.

Why not build a parkway station to reduce the traffic clogging Torquay?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 12:16:49 »

I wonder if the current weather will impact on the work. 
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 13:24:49 »

Yet more countryside bulldozed for a road that will just shift the traffic jam somewhere else.
Not doubt the real reason for this road is to allow greedy developers to buy up the land on either side as it is "no longer open countryside" so might as well be built on.

Why not build a parkway station to reduce the traffic clogging Torquay?
Have you actually experienced the congestion between Newton Abbot and Torbay? It's pretty horrendous. Most the time I go past on the train the traffic is queuing alongside the railway at Aller Junction.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 13:51:39 »

Yes I have. But how will this road help, except move the jam closer to Torquay (and encourage more road traffic).

A bypass is fair enough. But when traffic is trying to get into a place it doesn't really help and the answer is to reduce traffic.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 14:39:03 »

At the moment all the traffic for Paignton (and beyond) and Torquay ends up at the same roundabout. The new Edginswell Junction, if properly designed, should split the traffic much more effectively.

Note also that the rail service to Paignton has just been significantly improved (overshadowed somewhat on this forum by improvements elsewhere in FGWland), so DCC» (Devon County Council - website) are recognising that road building is not the only solution to improving access to the area.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 02:46:30 »

Many thanks for that reminder, John R: the improved rail service to Paignton was indeed discussed on the Coffee Shop forum, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=478.msg142724#msg142724

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 09:43:51 »

Yes I have. But how will this road help, except move the jam closer to Torquay (and encourage more road traffic).

A bypass is fair enough. But when traffic is trying to get into a place it doesn't really help and the answer is to reduce traffic.

The main reason for congestion on the Newton Rd is a set of traffic lights in Kingskerswell. The bypass will eliminate this set of lights thereby reducing the traffic. Not to mention the flyover at Penn Inn again taking a set of traffic lights out of the equation.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 10:04:49 »

Just at a slight tangent.. am I right in thinking that in railway terms Aller Junction no longer exists as the crossover between the branch and the main line was moved nearer Newton Abbot station and are now known as the less evocative Newton Abbot West?

I remember the old signal box at Aller Junction which must have lasted into the 80s.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 13:47:16 »

Probably May 1987, Bob - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_Abbot_railway_station#Recent_history  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 16:23:22 »

I believe the area of the old Aller junction is now known as Aller divergence.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 16:54:56 »

Thanks for posting here, everyone!  Cheesy

However, there are a few posts which might sit rather more comfortably in the 'Kingskerswell bypass' topic, as they relate specifically to the road rather than the railway.

Would anyone mind if I did a bit of judicious splitting - or should both topics be merged here, in view of their intermingling?

CfN  Undecided

Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 19:59:29 »

Intermingle away!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: