19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:15:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Student season tickets and other questions  (Read 10054 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 05, 2014, 13:29:19 »

Can someone clarify for me, please, the situation on season tickets by age ...

under 5 - 2 travel free with fare paying passenger
5 to 15 - "Child" (season) ticket acceptable no matter why the child is travelling
Any age - "Adult" (season) ticket always acceptable

Questions

a) If mum travels with her triplets aged 4, what does she pay for the third one?  "Child" is 5 to 15 - so presumably the third triplet has to pay an adult fare?

b) What about under 5s travelling with rail staff who get free travel within their employment / pension?

c) 16 year olds (up to - what age? - travelling to school or college). Clearly adult ticket is valid - but what about child / reduced rate seasons?

Question (c) is the one I would really like to understand the answer to ... the others just come from reading things and left me wondering.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 14:42:31 »

A) I don't really see the extra child being an issue.. I wasn't aware of the rule and I certainly wouldn't charge for the extra child because I have no idea what I'd ask you to pay!
B) They would be treated as a free child until they become 5 and then they get their staff travel passes.
C) I believe such passes do exist on a locally arranged basis but I really have no further information.

All opinions are my own.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 15:15:48 »

c) 16 year olds (up to - what age? - travelling to school or college). Clearly adult ticket is valid - but what about child / reduced rate seasons?

Question (c) is the one I would really like to understand the answer to ... the others just come from reading things and left me wondering.
Sadly adult fares apply from the 16th birthday onwards.  Considering some young people will become 16 within days of starting their final year at secondary school, this does seem rather unfair.  Some areas of the country have scholars passes or other local arrangements (e.g. London).

Some bus companies, on a local basis, will offer child fares to anyone in school uniform.  But there is no such arrangement on the railways.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 18:36:41 »

Many thanks for those replies.   I guess on the under-5 thing I was reading too much into

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Train-times-and-tickets/Ticket-types/Leisure-tickets

Travel with children. Pay half fare for children aged 5 ^ 15, and take up to two children under five free of charge. Children under five travelling free can use a seat, provided it is not needed by a fare-paying customer.

and http://help.thetrainline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/282

Up to two children under the age of 5 can travel free with each fare paying passenger. Please note that children under 5 travelling for free may only occupy a free seat that is not required by any fare paying passenger, so may need to stand or sit on your knee if the train is busy.

Between the ages of 5 and 15 inclusive, children receive a 50% discount on most tickets.

But as I say that was an interesting side issue ... the "biggie" for me is the travel to education after the 16th Birthday.  I did find something relating to certain schools for Greater Anglia, and in the light of your answers that it figures / confirms why that page was as it was.  I'm now educated enough to write a very much cleaner and shorter post than I expected on the Facebook page!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 19:34:58 »

Severnside Community Rail Partnership offer scholar season tickets to those in education aged 18 and under.

http://www.severnside-rail.org.uk/index.php?pid=31

Sadly the linked application form doesn't work and the mentioned sample fares .pdf is non-existent.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 23:15:45 »

Oh, dear. Roll Eyes  Something else for me to try to sort out.  Sorry!  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 23:30:06 »

An admin's work is never done, eh Chris? Grin
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 03:40:22 »

Well I've learnt something new! I always thought it was all children under 5 travelled free. Not that it was limited to 2 per Adult.

A) I wouldn't make a charge for the third child. But the Adult would be charged obviously.
B) Children of staff get their passes issued at aged 5 until 16 (and then some period afterwards if still in full time education. OU doesn't count).
C) I know that FCC (First Capital Connect) offer a student connect 'slightly' discounted season ticket. I think chiltern issue a scholar ticket with its own restrictions.
TfL» (Transport for London - about) issue child rate OysterCards with varying restrictions and periods which result in some 19 year olds getting child rate!!
If a child buys a season ticket when they are 15 and 364 days old (IE only just under 16) the season ticket can still be child rate up until 16 and 4 months old.

7-Day Season Tickets/Travelcards ^ Children pay the adult price on reaching their 16th birthday. If the birthday is after the first day of validity, a 7-Day Season Ticket at half rate will remain valid;
Period Season Tickets/Travelcards ^ A child who becomes 16 years old on the first day of a 'period' Season Ticket/Travelcards pays the adult rate. If the birthday is within the ticket^s validity period, but after the first day, the half rate ticket will continue to be valid, but needs to expire by up to a maximum of four months after the 16th birthday.
Holders of Transport for London Child Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) Photocards, including ^16+^ Oyster Photocards, should be issued with child rate ^In-Boundary^ period Travelcards not to expire later than the expiry date of the Oyster Photocard.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 22:44:06 »

An admin's work is never done, eh Chris? Grin

I tried to think of something quite erudite and witty to post here in reply, Bob - but then I reverted to my own student mode and simply went   

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 23:27:31 »

Severnside Community Rail Partnership offer scholar season tickets to those in education aged 18 and under.

http://www.severnside-rail.org.uk/index.php?pid=31

Sadly the linked application form doesn't work and the mentioned sample fares .pdf is non-existent.

New link - http://www.severnside-rail.org.uk/school.html

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: