Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:49:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW announce link with Singapore Airlines  (Read 12817 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2014, 16:56:26 »

Update - "On this Day", 25th January 2022 ... I will add on the end of the thread
At: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13495.msg317610#msg317610

From the FGW (First Great Western) Website

First Great Western and Singapore Airlines are proud to announce the launch of through-ticketing from selected towns and cities in the South West and those served by Singapore Airlines' route network from London Heathrow Airport, including the Heathrow Express rail link between Paddington Station and the airport.  Travellers will therefore be able to purchase a ticket for hundreds of different route options such as Cardiff to Singapore, or Sydney to Plymouth, etc. 

The stations on our network which will be open to these arrangements are as follows:

Bath Spa
Bristol Parkway
Bristol Temple Meads
Cardiff Central
Exeter St. David's
Oxford
Par
Penzance
Plymouth
St Austell
Swansea                       

Booking may be made by any IATA travel agent. 

Visit the Rail Fly website for more information.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 09:57:44 by grahame » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 17:31:02 »

I didn't notice them building the Heathrow western link - and right onto the apron as well! Presumably they have a special bridge to get straight from an HST (High Speed Train) to the plane  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 20:17:33 »

Cardiff to Singapore, or Sydney to Plymouth, etc.

Par to Noumea  Wink

Kuala Lumpur to Melksham  Roll Eyes

And before you wonder at that last one ... it's a frequent journey to us!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 20:22:39 »

What about split tickets.... Grin Grin
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:55:08 »

"What about split tickets" indeed!

Takes the whole art to a new level....... Melksham to Kuala Lumpur - split at Swindon and Dubai.  Anyone know where to find the Singapore Airlines Fare & Routing guide to check if a flight actually has to stop for a split to be valid?  Grin
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:02:50 »

Think First already have a link with Singapore BUSES! I asked them this week if the refurbished luxury interior, free wi fi specifications of the X2 X3 Bristol Portishead buses actually included heating .....because I have yet to travel on a bus with any heating yet, so far this winter. Their reply was, that it could only be done by the mechanics at the depot. I did ask sarcastically if the buses had been imported from Singapore....
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:43:52 »

*secretly hopes this means job shares and we start seeing Singapore Airlines stewardesses working on FGW (First Great Western) trains...*

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 12:55:52 »

Gimmick.

I'd much rather see FGW (First Great Western) offer integrated travel/tickets with local bus operators on a more consisitent and passenger friendly basis. If it can be done with international airlines then it can't be beyond the wit of man to do so with buses running in the same country.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 13:28:47 »

Point well made BNM
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 13:38:46 »

Gimmick.

I'd much rather see FGW (First Great Western) offer integrated travel/tickets with local bus operators on a more consisitent and passenger friendly basis. If it can be done with international airlines then it can't be beyond the wit of man to do so with buses running in the same country.

Something like.. PlusBus?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 13:46:52 »

How does one get that at the start of one's journey by bus? Same applies to combined Rail/Bus tickets.

How does someone living in an area served by buses, but not in a PlusBus area, benefit?

I'd like FGW (First Great Western) (and other TOCs (Train Operating Company)) to do more locally, rather than gimmicky tie-ins with international airlines which get them a few column inches, but probably little extra custom.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
andy_89uk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 20:45:46 »

Interesting... http://rail-fly.com/
Anyone have any inside info on the SaverExpress, FlexiExpress & BusinessExpress FGW (First Great Western)/HEX fares?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 21:32:48 »

I notice that "online check in" for the rail portion is done at http://www.accesrail.com/checkin/, who appear to already have tie-ups with DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about), Renfe and Trenitalia.  Therefore I am assuming the rail ticket is issued in the form of an electronic ticket to print at home.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:09 »

How does one get that at the start of one's journey by bus? Same applies to combined Rail/Bus tickets.

How does someone living in an area served by buses, but not in a PlusBus area, benefit?

I'd like FGW (First Great Western) (and other TOCs (Train Operating Company)) to do more locally, rather than gimmicky tie-ins with international airlines which get them a few column inches, but probably little extra custom.

Admit it's not available for all areas, but it is a growing scheme.

As with any of our tickets they can be bought in advance from station or over phone/internet - downside would be you need to have it posted if you're not able to collect it before needing to use the bus.

I'm not sure how you would have an alternative way of processing the ticket though. Unless the bus company was able to sell train tickets too, but I think that may confuse things further for a bus driver who doesn't have long to deal with a transaction at the side of the road.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 11:40:17 »

I'm not sure how you would have an alternative way of processing the ticket though. Unless the bus company was able to sell train tickets too, but I think that may confuse things further for a bus driver who doesn't have long to deal with a transaction at the side of the road.

Pay the bus driver a fiver for a "Plus Bus Starter" ticket, to be taken as credit towards your plus bus journey ticket purchased from the station counter when you switch from rubber to steel?   Of course that assumes a counter will be open at the station and you won't find that you're faced with just a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: