Delayed
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 14:48:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[250] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[84] "Mayflower"
[65] You see all sorts on the bus.
[46] Where have I been?
[41] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[38] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Western Main Line electrification work experiencing delays (merged topic, ongoing discussion)  (Read 6550 times)
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2013, 22:01:42 »

This made me laugh, although I guess if I had been at the meeting I would have annoyed at the waste of time, assuming it was as described.
http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/10883600.Residents_meet_rail_bosses_about_proposed_closure_of_A338/?ref=mr
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 22:37:43 »

One wonders whether the parish council called the meeting despite NR» (Network Rail - home page) telling them it was not able to provide the information demanded.  Had NR not turned up they could have been accused of failing to co-operate with the locals.  Hopes seem to have been raised that NR was ready with a plan, but perhaps local politicians were trying to force their hand. 

Just a theory based on a newspaper report, so almost certainly totally erroneous!
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 09:53:31 »

One wonders whether the parish council called the meeting despite NR» (Network Rail - home page) telling them it was not able to provide the information demanded.  Had NR not turned up they could have been accused of failing to co-operate with the locals.  Hopes seem to have been raised that NR was ready with a plan, but perhaps local politicians were trying to force their hand. 

Just a theory based on a newspaper report, so almost certainly totally erroneous!

I was at the meeting and it was a shambles. The parish council had called the meeting prematurely as Network Rail and Oxfordshire County Council have not yet agreed the bridge closure plan. I don't know why NR and OCC hadn't checked out expectations beforehand either.

The A338 closure will cause complete chaos locally as it's the main route out of Wantage and Grove to Oxford and Abingdon.  The diversion originally proposed by NR through local villages isn't fit for purpose and the alternative via the A417 and A34 is both lengthy and congested.

Earlier this year Network Rail told me that the bridge replacement works at Wantage Road were due to start in Feb 2014 and last for around 8 weeks. Clearly that is now not going to happen - they've found that a lot more work needs to be done in terms of strengthening the abutments and realigning the road, so the works are going to take much longer. NR weren't specific about this at the meeting (which many people took as evasive) but I did hear 13 weeks mentioned by someone.

Obviously the work has to be done and we're all looking forward to the wires going up and shiny new trains but this does need to be better thought out.  Maybe that is what NR and OCC are now doing but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Locally we've also got the A417 bridge at Challow Station to be replaced.  This was due to happen in September next year and take 8 weeks.  Since both bridges are very similar in structure and age, I wouldn't be surprised if similar issues arise here!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 19:55:59 »

Report on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Oxford TV this evening suggested the closure might need to be as much as 6 months although it wasn't clear where that figure came from. OCC representative seemed to be supporting the need for a temporary replacement.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 08:02:39 »

Network Rail told us that 6 months is the standard closure period that they apply for - working on the worst case scenario. Clearly the actual work is most unlikely to take that long, but the application got picked up by Grove parish council and the local press, also NR» (Network Rail - home page) were unable to give a definitive closure duration to refute it, hence the resultant uproar.

A replacement temporary bridge was one of the few sensible suggestions to come out of the meeting.  This idea was supported by the OCC Highways rep, though NR kept quiet as I doubt that they had budgeted that cost.  There is room for a temporary bridge to the east of the existing one at Wantage Road so this would be feasible. Further west at Challow Station on the A417 this would be more difficult as there are light industrial premises located to the west of the bridge and a signal gantry to the east. So I'm expected a lengthy closure here later next year.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 11:12:27 »

Network Rail told us that 6 months is the standard closure period that they apply for - working on the worst case scenario.

...and all local and national media report on the worst case scenario, because they only deal in bad news.  Many of these bridge replacements turn out much quicker than the worst case, much of which is taken up by utility diversions and the like, and that is often done with temporary traffic lights and single lane working.

The major replacement in Winchester a few years back attracted all the same headlines, but at the end of the day people just got on with their lives with fairly long diversions.

Whitchurch (Hants) was completely cut off from the north for some months when its rail bridge was replaced as well, that meant a long diversion the wrong way via the A303/A34 junction at Bullington Cross.  People coped. 

Meanwhile as hinted at above, Parish Councils aren't the decision making organisation in these matters.  Wait and see what Oxfordshire CC come up with...

Paul
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:08:24 by paul7755 » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 12:02:09 »

That would be Oxfordshire CC, me thinks - not Oxford City Council....
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 12:07:59 »

That would be Oxfordshire CC, me thinks - not Oxford City Council....

Yes of course, I'll fix it.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 12:09:04 »

NR» (Network Rail - home page) haven't done a very good job on the local PR (Public Relations) front. Parish Councils may not have any specific decision making responsibility but through Oxfordshire and Berkshire contain many people with local influence in higher spheres and with particular relevance to things like this, top quality lawyers. They have come across as under-prepared and secretive. I am surprised after how they dealt with Fulscot Bridge that they haven't improved their procedures and methods of working.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 01:29:44 »

A very similar furore arose over Network Rail's proposals for the recent work at Ansford Bridge in Somerset - which we discussed at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11198.0

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 13:19:55 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Network Rail said electrification work should be finished by the end of 2016

Train franchise set for extension

Work on part of the ^1bn project to electrify the Great Western railway line through Wiltshire is in "chaos", a local councillor has claimed.

Network Rail is rebuilding bridges along the route to provide space for overhead lines as part of the project.

Wiltshire Council said this had caused disruption because proper planning and surveys were not carried out.

Network Rail insisted it had put the correct procedures in place and liaised with councils on the project.

Wiltshire Council deputy leader John Thomson said the authority was "very disappointed" in how the work had been planned.

He said entire communities had been "blocked off from using the roads", causing a "real problem".

'Inaccurate' claims

Mr Thomson described the project as "chaos", citing a number of issues since work started which were not part of "normal construction planning".

He claimed Network Rail failed to survey the bridges to find out what wildlife was living in them, and when work started the company found that buttresses were collapsing and in need of being rebuilt.

A Network Rail spokesman said the chaos claim was "inaccurate" and said it had carried out "comprehensive surveys" on all the structures.

He added that delivering the structures on time was a "considerable challenge".

The company apologised for the disruption and said work to raise the bridges should be completed by April.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 14:24:48 »

Interesting I heard a rumour on Monday night that Oxfordshire CC had stopped Network Rail closing a bridge for rebuilding on the main road to Wantage. As it woiuld be long diversion and not suitable for buses.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 15:02:09 »

From the Western Daily Press:

Railway scheme is 'incredibly hard'

Network Rail bosses admitted yesterday that a three-month project to replace a key bridge to allow electrification work on the Great Western mainline is set to over-run by four more months.

They told villagers living on the South Gloucestershire-Wiltshire border that their 'main priority' was to make sure work on the bridge at Acton Turville was completed before this year's Badminton Horse Trials, which take place a mile away in early May.

The work on the bridge was originally supposed to be finished before Christmas, and council chiefs in Wiltshire are now summoning Network Rail to a meeting to talk about the next stage of the project, which looks set to bring major disruption in and around Royal Wootton Bassett and Lyneham.

After Saturday's Western Daily Press revealed the extent of the problems faced by Network Rail and its contractors Balfour Beatty, Network Rail have finally given a new date for the completion of the most troublesome part of the work to date.

The firm is lifting and replacing a whole host of bridges along the railway line from Swindon to Bristol Parkway and the mainline to Bath and Bristol to allow electrification systems to be installed.

But the project has been hit by a series of calamities, including the discovery of bats roosting under the bridge at Acton Turville, a 350ft crane falling into a ditch on the Fosse Way as it tried to access another remote spot on the Cotswolds, and endless rain and high winds stopping work for days at a time.

In an email to outraged parish councillors and residents in villages around the Acton Turville bridge, a new date for completion was revealed. The main road across that part of the Cotswolds, the B4040 from Yate to Malmesbury, has been closed since September for a project that was supposed to take three months.

"As it stands at the moment, our programme of works will be complete on April 17, 2014," a Network Rail spokesman told Luckington parish councillor John Buckley. "We endeavour to try and make efficiencies on the programme where possible, but obviously our main priority is making sure that we are complete prior to the Badminton Horse Trials."

A spokesman for Network Rail told the Western Daily Press: "Things have been incredibly hard, and there have been lots of issues with the work. The discovery of bats is one thing, but the weather itself has been the worst, with heavy rain making the ground saturated. The high winds have meant it has been impossible at times to work. If it is a choice between working with these cranes in high winds and being safe, safety comes first."

The continued closure of the B4040 looks set to postpone another planned closure ^ this time for emergency sewage repairs ^ a few miles to the east, which were scheduled for Easter.

Local councillor John Thomson happens to be Wiltshire Council's cabinet member for highways, and he is summoning Network Rail to a meeting to discuss the ongoing problems.

Allison Bucknell, Lyneham's councillor, said Wiltshire was working hard with Network Rail to give residents the most possible notice of road closures, but as a statutory body, Network Rail had the power to order road closures with just a couple of weeks' notice.

A meeting of councillors from the affected areas, with Network Rail, is scheduled to take place in February.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 15:41:10 »

Interesting I heard a rumour on Monday night that Oxfordshire CC had stopped Network Rail closing a bridge for rebuilding on the main road to Wantage. As it would be long diversion and not suitable for buses.

We discussed it in mid December here:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5066.msg144753#msg144753

I thought at the time, and still think, that the local politicians (who aren't necessarily in the loop on these decisions) see it as their big opportunity.   Whether or not they have any effect is another matter...

Paul
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 17:34:34 »

Interesting I heard a rumour on Monday night that Oxfordshire CC had stopped Network Rail closing a bridge for rebuilding on the main road to Wantage. As it would be long diversion and not suitable for buses.

We discussed it in mid December here:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5066.msg144753#msg144753

I thought at the time, and still think, that the local politicians (who aren't necessarily in the loop on these decisions) see it as their big opportunity.   Whether or not they have any effect is another matter...

Paul

It's more than a rumour - OCC have not agreed to the plans originally presented to Network Rail to close the A338 north of Wantage to replace the overbridge on the site of the old Wantage Road station. Given the strength of local feeling it was a reasonable decision - the proposed diversionary routes were either too long - via the A417 and A34, or completely impractical - through narrow lanes to the villages of Denchworth and Hanney. I understand from a meeting I attended in Grove that OCC and NR» (Network Rail - home page) are discussing the possibility of erecting a temporary bridge alongside the old one while it is demolished and replaced. This would be a much better option but I have no idea on whether this will be agreed.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: