Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
17th Apr (2010)
Formation Committee Meeting, TransWilts CRP (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 17, 2024, 00:42:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 415907 times)
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: October 28, 2016, 19:38:25 »

ellendune may well be correct.

The only issue with this would be the towns of Dawlish and Teignmouth potentially losing a rail service. None of the inland routes have stations in these towns due to the tunnelling involved.

Ultimately it will be a political decision that is made and it might be that tunnelling would be more cost effective in the long run.

But how many political decisions are not based on short term needs?

Just a thought

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #946 on: October 28, 2016, 19:57:12 »

Agreed - the headline is a "grabber" and the story changes within the article ... the link on the top of my post also links to the full same article (I think) - though the URL I had was somewhat shorter.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 28, 2016, 21:13:05 »

Depressingly true
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 10, 2016, 14:29:44 »

Network Rail have organised a number of public walk in sessions for people to see the plans for the causeway at Teignmouth

Thursday 17th November 2016   The Langstone Cliff Hotel, Dawlish Warren    16:30hrs – 19:00hrs
Monday 28th November 2016   Mercure Rougemont Hotel, Exeter Central     15:00hrs  -  19:00hrs
Tuesday 29th November 2016     The Pavilions, Teignmouth     15:00hrs – 19:00hrs 
Wednesday 30th November 2016     Best Western Livermead Cliff Hotel, Torquay  15:00hrs – 19:00hrs
Monday 5th December 2016   The Copthorne Hotel, Plymouth     15:00hrs – 19:00hrs
Tuesday 6th December 2016     Alverton Manor Hotel, Truro     15:00hrs – 19:00hrs
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 10, 2016, 15:40:59 »

ellendune may well be correct.

The only issue with this would be the towns of Dawlish and Teignmouth potentially losing a rail service. None of the inland routes have stations in these towns due to the tunnelling involved.

Ultimately it will be a political decision that is made and it might be that tunnelling would be more cost effective in the long run.

Just a thought

Three of my thought are that even if the sea wall route is abandoned, the sea wall still needs to be maintained and/or strengthened because it is protecting the town behind it not just the railway (that would presumably be out of someone else's budget though - although it is all public money at the end of the day so does it really matter which pot is comes out of?).

Second thought is that if the sea wall didn't have a railway on the top of it, it would be far easier to maintain and strengthen

Third thought it that perhaps there is a compromise here.  Divert the mainline inland and close and lift one of the tracks through the Dawlish Route.  Retain the other line for purely local services and use the space vacated by the lifted tract to install better defences of the remaining line and the town behind. 
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: November 10, 2016, 23:26:27 »

Without seeing any detailed information from NR» (Network Rail - home page), I can only make sense of the offshoring of the railway if it allows a modern seawall design to be built. By that I mean one with a sweeping curve up its face from the sea bed, so it turns a wave back on itself and stops much water coming over the top. If (as I hazily recall) that needs fairly deep water, and can't be put at the top of a shelving beach, the proposal makes some sense - otherwise the price of leaving a bit of space for cliff-falls is railway with less protection than now.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 11, 2016, 22:38:00 »

Without seeing any detailed information from NR» (Network Rail - home page), I can only make sense of the offshoring of the railway if it allows a modern seawall design to be built. By that I mean one with a sweeping curve up its face from the sea bed, so it turns a wave back on itself and stops much water coming over the top. If (as I hazily recall) that needs fairly deep water, and can't be put at the top of a shelving beach, the proposal makes some sense - otherwise the price of leaving a bit of space for cliff-falls is railway with less protection than now.

You could install that on the face of the existing sea wall.  As I understand it the moving out to seaward is to get away from the unstable cliff which is seen as a bigger problem. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 23, 2017, 23:36:57 »

Hmmm, let's hope that suggestion is slightly more accurate than the nonsense sprouted in the Daily Express (and others) last Autumn saying we were all set for the coldest and snowiest winter in modern times!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/442873/Coldest-winter-in-modern-times-on-way-with-snow-forecast-for-Britain-starting-next-week

Here's this years offering from the Daily Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/604619/Long-range-weather-forecast-Britain-cold-winter-2015-arctic-snow-freeze

Someone really should have a word with them!   Roll Eyes

Here's this years carbon copy winter-of-doom forecast from James Madden and Nathan Rao:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/714262/UK-snow-long-range-weather-forecast-cold-winter-2016-Britain-freeze

And here's this year's:

(British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)-weather" target="_blank">http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/868795/UK-winter-weather-forecast-2017-snow-long-range-weather-forecast-Met-Office-BBC-weather

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #953 on: October 24, 2017, 01:43:19 »

Oh, no.  Roll Eyes

You've just reminded me that I meant to lock this topic, last year - simply to avoid such repetitious drivel being given the oxygen of publicity.

CfN.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #954 on: February 18, 2018, 17:28:46 »

Oh, no.  Roll Eyes

You've just reminded me that I meant to lock this topic, last year - simply to avoid such repetitious drivel being given the oxygen of publicity.

CfN.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Four years ago this month the railway line was breached at Dawlish.

Apart from "repetitious drivel" and various reports, what decisions have been made about how to avoid future problems, or at least to avoid Plymouth and Cornwall being isolated from the rest of the rail network?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #955 on: February 18, 2018, 17:58:50 »

Kicked into the next Government....
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: February 18, 2018, 18:19:24 »

Kicked into the next Government....

What you really mean is 'included in the manifesto of the next potential <insert any party name here> government and then conveniently kicked into the one following that one'. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 18, 2018, 18:38:59 »

A lot more studies, reviews, and consultations will be required, possibly followed by a public enquiry and/or a Royal commission.
The results of such studies and reviews will be that more studies are needed.

Eventually a proposal will emerge, but detailed planning will then be needed, and an application for planning permission which will be opposed.

A new government will then announce that the studies, reviews, and consultations done by the last lot were flawed, and need to be done again, but better.
Meanwhile the newts are no doubt breeding, and perhaps bats also.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 18, 2018, 19:42:08 »

A lot more studies, reviews, and consultations will be required, possibly followed by a public enquiry and/or a Royal commission.

Eventually a proposal will emerge, but detailed planning will then be needed, and an application for planning permission which will be opposed.

A new government will then announce that the studies, reviews, and consultations done by the last lot were flawed, and need to be done again, but better.
Meanwhile the newts are no doubt breeding, and perhaps bats also.
Even if they get the go ahead after all that there’ll probably have been a UN veto arranged...

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #959 on: February 18, 2018, 20:20:31 »

You are a cynic, Sir .... and probably correct!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67
  Print  

Jump to: