Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:09:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 413699 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 12, 2014, 18:01:17 »

Not so - works both ways as long as you pass through Exeter....

Err.. I know. My example was a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Advance between Truro and Newton Abbot. XC Advances wholly west of Exeter are the usual prices. And nothing given if you are buying walk up tickets, for journeys through the affected area, on flows priced by CrossCountry.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 12, 2014, 18:25:17 »

Anyone know how Dawlish is faring at high tide this evening?
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 12, 2014, 19:42:25 »

Storm raging through the Midlands and North of England. Pictures earlier showing part of the roof at Crewe station has come away and reports that passengers are not allowed onto Platforms. For a station and junction the size of Crewe. That in my opinion speaks of a serious problem...! Sad Shocked Lips sealed

Yesterday made it into London Paddington about 45 minutes late. Nothing too uncomfortable. My Advance ticket was questioned by the TM(resolve) as it was booked for the 15:13 and I used it on the 18:43 for various reasons. Despite having trouble explaining that FGW (First Great Western) have relaxed all restrictions until at least Friday (So one assumes Saturday at 02:00AM Wink Grin  Roll Eyes Tongue ), probably not helped that he asked about it at the same time the First Class Host offered me a drink... I can't cope with 2 people asking me questions at the same time. My brain fries itself Shocked  Roll Eyes Embarrassed Lips sealed

Ultimately missed the conference I planned to attend in the afternoon but I'm not too worried as I have booked to attend a different date and venue as I heard reports from those there that the venue was too small so probably wouldn't have liked it anyway! Shocked Roll Eyes Lips sealed Embarrassed

Err.. I know. My example was a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Advance between Truro and Newton Abbot. XC Advances wholly west of Exeter are the usual prices. And nothing given if you are buying walk up tickets, for journeys through the affected area, on flows priced by CrossCountry.

I guess we have privatisation to thank for that... Grin *opens tin of worms and legs it*

So when is it safe for me to book a train back to the West Country?? Ultimately it's got to be done at some point very soon! Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 12, 2014, 20:08:58 »

So when is it safe for me to book a train back to the West Country??

May/June?  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 12, 2014, 20:22:39 »

So when is it safe for me to book a train back to the West Country?? Ultimately it's got to be done at some point very soon! Grin

May/June 2015 ...............  Huh

Make that May/June 2016

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2014, 20:26:35 »

In all seriousness, I saw the Sky News Bulletin at London Liverpool Street yesterday evening which suggested this god awful weather and flooding could continue until May at the earliest. So your suspect tongue in cheek answer may not be all that far from the truth... Embarrassed Roll Eyes Grin Wink

Electric train don't give me ideas please... Wink Grin Moving out of the west country just now is all too tempting... Tongue Grin Wink Lips sealed
Think I'll come back at the weekend and except that I could be stuck in a HST (High Speed Train) for a while. That's not a bad thing for thetrout Grin Until the Buffet Car runs out of water/coffee Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2014, 21:08:43 »

The train service home tonight bore no relation to the information I could find.. When will someone/anyone work that out!!  Angry

I decided to let the earlier trains go and saw that the last Bristol/Exeter (Can't remember which) train that was additionally stopping at Maidenhead was the 7.30pm.. The 7.48pm to Worcester shrub hill was cancelled each time I checked..

The reality was that the 7.30 wasn't running and the 7.48 was (even when I was on the train the 7.48 was showing as cancelled on the NR» (Network Rail - home page) site)... aaarrrggghhh!!!

When I asked what had happened in that half hour between me leaving work to arriving at Paddington to the staff at Paddington they didn't know..  Roll Eyes
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 12, 2014, 21:28:57 »

In all seriousness, I saw the Sky News Bulletin at London Liverpool Street yesterday evening which suggested this god awful weather and flooding could continue until May at the earliest.

Hmmm, let's hope that suggestion is slightly more accurate than the nonsense sprouted in the Daily Express (and others) last Autumn saying we were all set for the coldest and snowiest winter in modern times!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/442873/Coldest-winter-in-modern-times-on-way-with-snow-forecast-for-Britain-starting-next-week

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 12, 2014, 21:43:17 »

For the people of Somerset and other areas I sincerely hope both forecasts are wrong!
DavidBrown

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 12, 2014, 22:17:54 »

In all seriousness, I saw the Sky News Bulletin...

Think that's all you need to say on that one, really. Wouldn't trust anything they put out!

One or two forecasts on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) are saying that the next storm, due Friday, may be the last big one (and even then nothing anywhere near what we've had today), before we return to a more normal winter/spring weather pattern. They're not promising it, but they're just saying that the signs are hopeful.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 12, 2014, 22:19:10 »

Assistance for those affected by the floods - including the railways

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-to-help-communities-hit-by-flooding

Rail resilience projects

The Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) will provide ^31million to fund 10 rail resilience projects in the South West to improve resilience to flooding, including works at Cowley Bridge in Exeter.

Network Rail will undertake work at the following locations:
^Cowley Bridge Junction
^Chipping Sodbury
^Hinksey
^Whiteball Tunnel South
^Athley ^ Cogload
^Hele Bradninch
^Flax Bourton
^Patchway up Tunnel
^earthworks strengthening at Honiton and Crewkerne

Network Rail will also install rainfall, river flow and groundwater monitoring around Cowley Bridge Junction and Chipping Sodbury.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 12, 2014, 22:30:14 »

Hmmm, let's hope that suggestion is slightly more accurate than the nonsense sprouted in the Daily Express (and others) last Autumn saying we were all set for the coldest and snowiest winter in modern times!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/442873/Coldest-winter-in-modern-times-on-way-with-snow-forecast-for-Britain-starting-next-week

Well there was an element of truth in that Daily Express Article I guess...! IF the temperatures had been much lower, all that hideous rain we've had could well have been snow!

As for the 'horror winter' I agree that some would call these conditions in Somerset 'horror' Sad

For the people of Somerset and other areas I sincerely hope both forecasts are wrong!

So do I...!! Cannot put it into words how much I hope it's just further speculation and scaremongering!

In all seriousness, I saw the Sky News Bulletin...

Think that's all you need to say on that one, really. Wouldn't trust anything they put out!

One or two forecasts on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) are saying that the next storm, due Friday, may be the last big one (and even then nothing anywhere near what we've had today), before we return to a more normal winter/spring weather pattern. They're not promising it, but they're just saying that the signs are hopeful.

I prefer the BBC scenario in this case. I must stress I do not like BSkyB by any means. I just saw the bulletin whilst waiting for a veggie burger to be cooked to order. Anyhow it will be what it will be. And sadly we'll just have to live with it Sad

However my utmost thoughts to all staff out there in truly horrendous conditions. You've all done very well to keep things moving the way they have. Whilst we still have our gripes with poor passenger information etc. I think it's better than there being no trains at all Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2014, 22:46:08 »

FGW (First Great Western) MD, Mark Hopwood, speaking on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today (available on BBC iPlayer until 1830 tomorrow 13/02/2014) earlier this evening was taking a very cautious tone regarding getting the lines through Maidenhead back to capacity.

He said, "...we face a very major challenge running the railway without this signalling available."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 12, 2014, 23:03:30 »

Just to note FGW (First Great Western) are staffing their Twitter account 24 hours a day to deal with queries regarding the disruption.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 12, 2014, 23:36:23 »

FGW (First Great Western) MD, Mark Hopwood, speaking on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today (available on BBC iPlayer until 1830 tomorrow 13/02/2014) earlier this evening was taking a very cautious tone regarding getting the lines through Maidenhead back to capacity.

He said, "...we face a very major challenge running the railway without this signalling available."

Speaking to one of our drivers today and he had a few Network Rail engineers travel in the driving cab within him between Twyford and Maidenhead.  They filmed the entire line between Twyford and Maidenhead (the driver wasn't too happy because they asked him to do 10mph!!) but apparently they've assembled a large number of contractors and will be using the footage they recorded with a view to raising the electrical boxes with work to hopefully commence tonight.  Where they can't raise the electrical boxes they have brought in some Dutch contractors with pumping equipment in order to try and clear the water.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 67
  Print  

Jump to: