17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:41:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather disruption caused in 2014, and how to prevent it happening again - ongoing discussion  (Read 412806 times)
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 16, 2019, 11:28:18 »

Indeed, they are the professionals, they will have considered it & chosen another option.

NR» (Network Rail - home page) have been holding open meetings along that part of the route to explain the work - you could have gone along and asked. I appreciate you may live a long way from these meetings, but there was a contact email address n the NR webpage announcing these meetings.

Reminds me of episode 1 of The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy where Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz chastises the people of Earth for complaining against the demolition of their planet when they could have made the effort to view the plans at their local planning office on Alpha Centauri.  Grin Tongue
I love the analogy, but if the meetings were planned along the route I suspect they were indeed publicised locally.  (By the way, weren't the plans in the basement where the light didn't work?)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #991 on: October 16, 2019, 14:51:53 »

I love the analogy, but if the meetings were planned along the route I suspect they were indeed publicised locally.  (By the way, weren't the plans in the basement where the light didn't work?)

Even harder than that ...

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 16, 2019, 23:39:08 »

A flashlight? Sure he said a torch..
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 19, 2019, 12:52:22 »

Two IET (Intercity Express Train) failures after being hit by waves this morning along the sea wall.

1A82 0915 Penzance - Paddington had all GUs shut down by a wave.

Then a little while later 1C75 0937 Paddington - Paignton suffered the exact same issue.

You'd think after one total failure due to a wave the powers that be would have been a little more circumspect about sending another IET along the sea wall.

All IET services along the sea wall are suspended until at least 1430.

Questions for Hitachi to answer as well.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 19, 2019, 13:25:15 »

What happened to the "essential requirement" that IETs (Intercity Express Train) be Dawlish proof ?
Are Hitachi paying compensation for the failure to meet the specification, or is there some wiggle room.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 19, 2019, 15:08:34 »

Two IET (Intercity Express Train) failures after being hit by waves this morning along the sea wall.

1A82 0915 Penzance - Paddington had all GUs shut down by a wave.

Then a little while later 1C75 0937 Paddington - Paignton suffered the exact same issue.

You'd think after one total failure due to a wave the powers that be would have been a little more circumspect about sending another IET along the sea wall.

All IET services along the sea wall are suspended until at least 1430.

Questions for Hitachi to answer as well.
Making the journey from Euston to Burton-on-Trent, I got caught up in this!
My Euston to Birmingham New Street train lost a few minutes outside Coventry due to what looks like quart-into-pint-pot timetabling.  So I missed the connection at New Street onto 1M99 Cardiff to Nottingham, so I looked for the next train to Burton.  Next one was 1S49 Penzance to Dundee - but it's running 120 mins late leaving Exeter.  Whooda thought that a Voyager on the Sea Wall would be stuck behind an IET?

So I'm now on the next Brum-to-Nottingham train.

Edit to add:
D'oh!  1S49 appears to be timetabled as HST (High Speed Train), not Voyager.  Mea Culpa for not checking.  It's still running a tad behind time - 117 mins at Worle Jn.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 15:14:22 by rower40 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67]
  Print  

Jump to: