I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:25:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
  Print  
Author Topic: Daytime Traffic on the TransWilts  (Read 232603 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 19:56:16 »

That is encouraging.  It is still early days, but I must admit I was a bit downhearted in the early days with numbers and then a spate of weather related and mechanical problems, however the figures are certainly looking up.

It will certainly be the one train I don't mind having to stand on!

I don't think we were doing too badly even back then. We managed 60 passengers on the 1736 from Swindon on one evening during the first week, and it was always going to take a little while for off-peak traffic to start to build up.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 20:31:21 »

At TravelWatch SouthWest today, First Directors Matthew Golton and Ben Rule had growth histograms for community / branch lines in the South West and Wessex.   I noted  2012 to 2013 growth:
10% Exmouth
13% Barnstaple
14% Severn Beach
26% TransWilts
and those were the highest growths. Others as low as 2%, some 5%, etc.   In numeric terms, the TransWilts was very much the minnow, and I really appreciate us being included.   It also showed starkly how small our minnow is to many other lines.

Now - I think those were probably financial year figures, so that 26% growth is based on what - growth in the area? - increase publicity? - bit of both?   Even if the figures were January to December, they will only have included a couple of weeks of new running before the weather problems that beset the south west from 24th December.

I am so tempted to guess for the next year, but I won't - at least until I know the year end.  But in terms of percentage rise, "you ain's seen nuthin yet!", I don't think!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 18:53:12 »

17:31 (Sunday) Melksham to Swindon today.  Grotty weather.  18 passengers on the train into Melksham; 1 got off (with a cycle) and 1 on. Making 19 passengers using the Trowbridge to Chippenham section. Noticably 8 got off (and more on) at Chippenham; traffic over quite short distances seems to be finding the service. There were already a handful of people waiting at Melksham for the next southbound train when I was there (about 20 to 25 minutes) for West Wilts and Frome.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 11:10:19 »

Thursday 13th March

The 0748 arrived at Melksham with 43 passengers on board. 3 people left and 7 joined the train at Melksham.
17 off and 8 on at Chippenham.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 22:05:10 »

The 8 on at Chippenham is interesting as the service follows fairly closely behind a London service. I wonder do some passengers bound for Swindon now have a more relaxed view about getting the 0755, knowing that if they've cut it too fine there's one close behind.  17 off at Chippenham would either imply there are a lot commuting to Chippenham or maybe they are new commuters heading to Bath and Bristol.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 22:19:41 »

Well, Echo and I had a nice time out today, utilising the TransWilts service, albeit only to Trowbridge and back, making use for the first time, of my shiny new Senior Railcard.  Trains there and back were right on time, and as on my previous outing the conductors were friendly, helpful and chatty, and didn't even moan about the fact that Echo was sitting on my lap! 

I was so busy keeping Echo under control I didn't take too much notice of passenger numbers, but I know that on the 11.13, three of us got on, but I think there was only one other passenger already on the train.  Later, in Trowbridge there were about 8 people on the platform, I thought awaiting the returning 14.20, but I think only 2 got on, the rest must have been waiting for the Cardiff train, which was late.  5 people, I think, already on the train. 

A very worrying attitude from a member of the younger generation later in the afternoon.  When I dropped Echo off at the kennels  Cry (Where she'll have to stay while I'm having my knee op).  I asked if someone could deliver Echo home for me following my discharge, as I'd be unable to drive for 6 - 8 weeks.   Shocked  'Can't drive???  How on earth will you cope?' (Jaw drops to floor level) I explained that I'd be using buses and trains to get around, and took the opportunity to mention the new TransWilts service. 'Buses and trains' the young lady whispered incredulously.  Oh dear, a long way to go before we get some of our youngsters out of their cars.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 03:33:48 »

When I dropped Echo off at the kennels  Cry (Where she'll have to stay while I'm having my knee op).  I asked if someone could deliver Echo home for me following my discharge, as I'd be unable to drive for 6 - 8 weeks.   Shocked  'Can't drive???  How on earth will you cope?' ...

Good luck with the Op, Cynthia - p.m. sent.

We have an educational opportunity with a proportion of younger people brought up without using public transport.  More so in towns like Melksham where there hasn't been a permanent viable train service for a long time, but elsewhere too.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 08:23:48 »

We have an educational opportunity with a proportion of younger people brought up without using public transport.  More so in towns like Melksham where there hasn't been a permanent viable train service for a long time, but elsewhere too.

I wonder whether there is an age/status/peer respect issue here, affecting those who do have trains to use.

Trains are an important way for younger teenagers to become independent - otherwise they have to use the family taxi-cum-spy service. So I can see that, for those just a bit older and able to use a car, that becomes important to demarcate themselves from "kids". But I don't have a lot of direct interactions with this age group, so is that anyone else's view?

There is another aspect to this - the cost of cars for the young. My understanding is that insurance, particularly in London and other big cities, has now reached such a level that car ownership among has fallen quite a bit. That's one of the factors driving all public transport use, and bikes as well, in London. If you don't own a car you need trains to go outside London (and may have trouble hiring a car too).

PS: I meant to add that some of this group become supporters of public transport, or pro-cycling, in the way typical of young people. Others are reluctant, and resent not having access to their own mobile private-space-in-a-box.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:14:00 by stuving » Logged
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 08:55:31 »

When I dropped Echo off at the kennels  Cry (Where she'll have to stay while I'm having my knee op).  I asked if someone could deliver Echo home for me following my discharge, as I'd be unable to drive for 6 - 8 weeks.   Shocked  'Can't drive???  How on earth will you cope?' ...

Good luck with the Op, Cynthia - p.m. sent.

Thanks very much, grahame, she says, using laptop in hospital ward!  That's an improvement on my visit here last year, and it's a wonderful distraction from all the activity going on!

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 18:09:59 »

Cynthia, I'm sure we all echo Wink the good wishes and hope you will be hopping (!) onto a train before too long to boost the numbers.  I hope to do my bit before long.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 07:07:32 »

15:39 Chppenham to Westbury ... 15 on from Chippenham (many / most joining there); 3 off and five on at Melksham. Total traffic on Chippenham - Trowbridge section 20 passengers.

Arrived at Chippenham about 5 minutes early.   Waited there (tickets checked before we left!) and then waited for the single track too - freight had gone ahead about 8 or 9 minutes before the train had arrived in Chippenham. Still more or less on time at Melksham as there's plenty of slack - 56 minutes from Swindon to Westbury v 45 minutes on following service at 17:36.

Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 22:18:19 »

Cynthia, I'm sure we all echo Wink the good wishes and hope you will be hopping (!) onto a train before too long to boost the numbers.  I hope to do my bit before long.

Ha!  Very good, trainer!  Thanks for your good wishes, I have been discharged home from hospital now, and Echo has been delivered back into my care, so I'm hoping it won't be long before we're regular travellers on the TransWilts line and beyond.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 08:10:07 »

Not so much "daytime" traffic ... 2 off and 8 on at Melksham at 07:48 this morning, 37 through passengers making a total of 47 using the Trowbridge - Chippenham section in some form.   That's a train that didn't exist a few months back.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 08:37:55 »

Not sure what happened to that train on Monday - according to the arrival screens at Swindon it was due to arrive there four minutes after leaving Melksham....

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 09:00:41 »

As a guess, Bob, it got confused with the 07:20 from Melksham, due into Swindon at 07:48, on the display.

According to real time trains ... 2M03 (due at 07:48) arrived a minute early and 2M04 (due 08:18) arrived 3 minutes late on Monday into Swindon.  No unusual reports; no sightings of rocket propelled trains that could have achieved the performance forecast by the arrival screen.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
  Print  

Jump to: