09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 09:06:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26
  Print  
Author Topic: Daytime Traffic on the TransWilts  (Read 233060 times)
NickF
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2015, 19:39:07 »

Today 0919
18 already on board CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) to MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains)
3 off at MKM,  9 on
24 MKM to TRO» (Trowbridge - next trains)
10 off at TRO, couldnt see how many got on

Today 1512
10 already on board SWI» (Swindon - next trains) to CPM
2 off at CPM 9 on
17 CPM to MKM
2 off at MKM, 0 on

Please take these figures as estimates, it is slightly difficult to count whilst trying to chaperone 2 train mad toddlers
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2015, 09:17:27 »

18:52 from Swindon last night ... 29 passengers on into Melksham.  7 off and one on.   30/8

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2015, 12:02:28 »

11:04 from Chippenham ... Into Melksham 24 on board +3 -4 -> 23   So that's 27/7
(i.e. 27 journeys made on the Chippenham -> Trowbridge section of which 7 were to / from Melksham)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2015, 07:00:41 »

12th Feb, 18:52 from Swindon.   28 on into Melksham, 9 off and 2 on; 30/11

Note that the connecting trains from London were running late any anyone on the 17:45 from Paddington (the advertised connection) or the earlier Cheltenham Spa train won't have made that 18:52 ...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2015, 12:08:28 »

This (Friday) morning. 07:49 ex Melksham, where 2 got off and 25(isn) joined, making 68 - 70/27 ... some seats unoccupied, but some people standing. Around 30 off and 20 more into Swindon (all seated). Full car par at Melksham.  "Much busier than 6 months ago" says a regular.

10:47 back from Swindon - 16 on from Chippenham.  10 off and 12 on at Melksham. 28/22.  Around 30 for off that train when it arrived in from Westbury at 10:34. 

John R

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2015, 20:55:27 »

That's quite significant. The highest noted yet for the 0749 service, it's around 10 up from the time of the October survey, all of which appears to be MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) generated. What's more, Fridays are normally quiet, and last Friday appeared even more so, probably because of the half term starting, so I would expect the underlying figures to be even higher. Which might imply around an extra 1 commuter per week being added.

Given that there's a more even spread of traffic across the two morning northbound services, but the evening return is much more heavily weighted to the earlier service, I'd expect the 1736 from Swindon to be regularly standing room only now between Chippenham and Melksham, if the morning 153 is just about full. And if my theory is right and numbers are still rising, how long before we start getting complaints about overcrowding?   
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2015, 21:03:46 »

Thanks for those very thought-provoking comments, John R.  Smiley

Overcrowding on the TransWilts: whatever next???  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:44 »

The 17:36 ex Swindon is indeed being reported back as "full and standing" on a regular basis, and cries of "can we have another carriage" are to be heard.

The immediate answer, I'm afraid has to be "there's nothing spare at the moment" and/or "adding an extra carriage for just  10 / 20 / 25 / 50 minutes per day is hard to justify financially"  but tempered very much with "people ARE aware". It's notable that the complete rail replacement from 18th to 31st July that we anticipated has morphed into "most rail replacement and a peak train service should run" and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have been the case if we still had just under 50 journeys per day rather than approaching 500.

* There is stock availability (not sure on crew rosters, or ability to reverse at Melksham) for a 16:36 Swindon to Melksham, arriving there at 17:03.   Return service from Melksham at 17:19, arriving Swindon at 17:48.  There are passengers on the 17:36 who would love an earlier train, but I'm not sure how much this would relieve the 17:36 and how much it would encourage extra passengers on the line in general, as people learned of the choice, and actually mke the 17:36 busier.   Note - extension to Trowbridge / Westbury may be possible if the timing issues with a unit that its over at Westbury can be resolved. Note also - no freight (at least today) on the TransWilts at the time the new train would be there, and the times I have given are already tried and tested in other hours of the day into the regular pattern of mainline passenger trains.

* Come cascade / anticipated 16x units in 2 or 3 years, and we'll go up to a 2 car minimum.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2015, 07:22:16 »

As long as someone lets Control know to change the Default "cancel TransWilts peak first" setting, along with the Default "one taxi for Melksham" for the Default "couple of passengers"...

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2015, 08:17:31 »

The 07:33 from Westbury was delayed by 13 minutes waiting for the stock to form it which came in on a service from Bristol.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2015, 06:31:59 »

Yesterday evening ... an interesting contrast!

12 in my carriage on 17:15 ex Cambridge (12 cars to King's Cross)
110 in my carriage on 18:45 ex Paddington (8 cars to Swansea)
15 on 20:29 ex Chippenham (1 car to Westbury) (and 5 off at Melksham / none on so 15/5 )

A middle carriage from Cambridge - 12 car was probably excess provision but I can't speak for the return run of the same train from London to Cambridge. 

Carriage "A" on the 18:45 from Paddington - Standing, crammed all up the aisles to Twyford - an extra stop - as the 18:47 to Cheltenham Spa was cancelled, so this figure is exceptionally high.

By half past 8, trains are getting much quieter and the TransWilts loading was quite reasonable for a Wednesday.  Of note - its use by a couple of regulars I expect to see on the 17:36 or 18:52 off Swindon - re-enforcing the need for this later train as a backup for people working late, who may be lost to rail if they didn't have the option for when they need it.

Pity the crowds for the 18:47 from Paddington for the Stroud valley who had a wait of 30 minutes for the 19:35 ex Westbury 2 car unit rather than a through HST (High Speed Train).  It looked like it was going to be cosy!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2015, 06:45:12 »

Initially the 18:45 was cancelled and the 18:47 booked to run, but then they were swapped.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2015, 07:18:25 »

Initially the 18:45 was cancelled and the 18:47 booked to run, but then they were swapped.

Ssshhh - don't tell that to the people who were waiting on the platform at Swindon for the 150 from Westbury, or queuing up at the unable-to-cope buffet counter for a drink and food!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2015, 07:28:27 »

Oh ... my ... goodness

The joke in the lean years prior to December 2013 was that the 06:12 Swindon to Southampton was excellently timed because 100% of the one or two passengers on board when surveyed said it ran at a good time for them, and the next train (at 18:44) would have been too late for them.

We anticipated that the 06:12 would be one of harder ones to fill even after extra services were added, and I expected the train to fall below the average of "20 per train by the third year".   It was heartwarming to see - on the Tuesday of our October count - that the service was up to 18 passengers making use of it on the Chippenham to Trowbridge stretch.

This morning, 4th March, a Wednesday, I've used this train ... and I'm delighted to report that 7 people got off and 9 on at Melksham.   A count on the way to Trowbridge gave 25 passengers, so the stats are 32/16.   Wow - it looks like even the toughest nut has - in the second year - risen above the overall average we were set as the target for the third year (and we're even a long way ahead of year 5 targets).

The 07:04 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa via Swindon left Westbury with 20 people on board already; on past form, it picks up the same number again (perhaps a few more) at Trowbridge, and an increasing number (someone has suggested we're getting 1 new commuter per week) at Melksham.  The emphasis now is on maintaining these numbers / this growth which to some extent is the purpose of my visit to Westbury!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:28:35 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2015, 11:32:13 »

Following on ... I came back on the 09:48.   Another "it's not going to be busy" train - after the morning peak and in the lull.   And only 7 on from Westbury  Cry

However ... +15 -0 at Trowbridge (checked / count 22 onwards) and +6 -1 at Melksham = 28/7

I really must remember not to be disappointed if a train leaves Westbury with low numbers on board ... there's likely to be many more passengers joining along the way  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26
  Print  

Jump to: