Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 07:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:13 Liskeard to Looe
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 07:55:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26
  Print  
Author Topic: Daytime Traffic on the TransWilts  (Read 232572 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2015, 20:27:14 »

The 18:52 from Swindon (19:18 at Melksham) ... 32 on from Chippenha, -7 + 3 at Melksham -> 35/10

Longest journey - an arrival from Romania into Melksham, and the question "where are the taxis" ...  until July, the answer would have been "take that bus - it will drop you at the end of the street you need", but alas the council decided to "pull" that service ... and I do miss the regulars we used to see on the train who used that bus - for sure we're still growing, but not as well as we could/should have done.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2015, 08:26:52 »

It's good to see people walking to the station (or being dropped off) - 18 joined at Melksham on the 07:49 this morning. [[ 7 got off, 80 on board to Chippenham - 87/25 ]] And it's excellent to see people coming on to the platform and buying their tickets from the machine while awaiting the train. A very great pity that for this train (in particular), we're half a dozen faces missing from the Spring, as there's no longer a Melksham Rail Link Bus; a handful of the previous customers are still to be seen, and I can only hope that the others have found alternative ways to get to their work.

Probably a good job that tickets can be bought at all the statiosn from a machine (at least if you're using a credit or debit card) as tickets weren't for sale on the train this morning, nor were they checked: "Due to a fault in the ticket machine it's not possible to purchase tickets on the train. Can all passengers please make sure they purchase tickets before the start of their journey - Thank You".

Chippenham - -40 +11 - so 50 on into Swindon

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2015, 09:30:13 »

Back in Feb you recorded 68 on from Melksham and I noted that this was around 10 higher than the Oct 14 survey. Now we have 80, and that's in a half term week, so I would expect numbers to be around 10% down from usual.

That might suggest that in a year we've gone from around 58 to an underlying of, say, 90 on the service.  Added to the 70 or so on the earlier train, that's around 160 on the northbound commuter run.  Quite how they all fit in on the way home I'm not sure given most will be using the 1736 from Swindon.

Can we really wait until May 17 for an extra carriage?  And if electrification delays release of the turbos, what happens then?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2015, 11:35:24 »

Back in Feb you recorded 68 on from Melksham and I noted that this was around 10 higher than the Oct 14 survey. Now we have 80, and that's in a half term week, so I would expect numbers to be around 10% down from usual.

That might suggest that in a year we've gone from around 58 to an underlying of, say, 90 on the service.  Added to the 70 or so on the earlier train, that's around 160 on the northbound commuter run.  Quite how they all fit in on the way home I'm not sure given most will be using the 1736 from Swindon.

Can we really wait until May 17 for an extra carriage?  And if electrification delays release of the turbos, what happens then?

Good questions, John.   I have no immediate answers.   

The proposed relief of overcrowding by allowing passengers to use the 234 bus from Chippenham in the evening (so giving 17:00 and 18:00 departures from Swindon with a change at Chippenham) have been rendered impractical by the withdrawal by First Bus of the 234 service that would have been used.  I still like the idea of a 16:36 from Swindon running to Warminster, to run the 17:28 from there, and a balancing working from Westbury - but timing is tight.  And frankly these extras are likely to simply create even more demand by providing new opportunities, rather than providing relief to the existing 17:36.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2015, 15:20:39 »

... but then again we keep our eyes open ...

First IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) (800002) delivered to North Pole Depot last Friday night:

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/2015/10/26/inside-north-pole-as-first-800-reaches-hitachi-depot

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2015, 19:51:41 »

18:52 off Swindon tonight ... 43 into Melksham, 14 off and 3 on ... 47/17

John R

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2015, 11:13:48 »

... but then again we keep our eyes open ...

First IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) (800002) delivered to North Pole Depot last Friday night:

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/2015/10/26/inside-north-pole-as-first-800-reaches-hitachi-depot

I guess GWR (Great Western Railway) is going to need to train staff in their use, and also a bit of running rather than just sitting lying idle would be preferable. So why not replace the two units that currently shuttle up and down the Swindon to Cheltenham route with 800s - a route which after all they will be operating on in due course. That would release two units for use elsewhere, although with the current timetable the 800s would occupy Platform 1 at SWI» (Swindon - next trains) for quite a lot of the day.   Of course one of those units forms the shoulder peak services on the TW, so that could create more opportunities as the timings would no longer need to fit with the northern leg of their journeys.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2015, 11:56:30 »

It'll be interesting to see how the training programme takes shape.  A very high percentage of the current GWR (Great Western Railway) drivers will need to 'sign' them, and a fair few will need to learn the other new electric traction and/or cascaded diesel traction.  It will test GWR's driver availability to the limit, though, to be fair, quite a lot of the current route/traction knowledge backlog I commented on a year or so ago is now completed or in-hand.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2015, 18:55:57 »

Thursday, 29th October.  Autunmal day during half term week.
Personal observations.

12:47 Swindon to Frome
12 on from Swindon, 2 off 7 on at Chippenham, 11 off, 4 on at Melksham
23/15

16:15 Westbury to Swindon
3 off, 12 on at Melksham -> 35 on board
38/15

17:36 Swindon to Westbury
61 on from Swindon and 82 on from Chippenham, 22 off and 6 on at Melksham
88/28

P.S. Arrivals included 2 from Berlin ... again surprised at the lack of taxis at Melksham Station

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2015, 19:12:55 »

I had the interesting experience of observing grahame from the platform at Chippenham, when the 1736 from Swindon pulled in with him on board observing the passengers...don't think he spotted me though  Wink  Grin

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2015, 19:15:21 »

... again surprised at the lack of taxis at Melksham Station

I can appreciate that the demand may not be high enough (yet) to warrant a taxi sitting to wait for a fare, but could a taxi phone not be provided or at least a board with some phone numbers?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #176 on: October 29, 2015, 19:22:40 »

I had the interesting experience of observing grahame from the platform at Chippenham, when the 1736 from Swindon pulled in with him on board observing the passengers...don't think he spotted me though  Wink  Grin

He would have done if you had got on or off  Wink - it's getting far too busy to count people waiting for other trains on the platform too!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2015, 00:16:04 »

I can appreciate that the demand may not be high enough (yet) to warrant a taxi sitting to wait for a fare, but could a taxi phone not be provided or at least a board with some phone numbers?

At Nailsea & Backwell station, there is one poster, up on the railings on platform 2, which does give some local travel connections information - including a number for a local private hire company.  There is no taxi rank, and indeed no room for one.  There is one public telephone kiosk (card payment only) at the foot of the pathway up to platform 1.  And we are a Great Western main line railway station.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2015, 06:29:43 »

........shouldn't be too difficult to hail down a passing horse and cart?  Wink
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2015, 06:46:32 »

........shouldn't be too difficult to hail down a passing horse and cart?  Wink

Does this mean you are in favour of dangling carrots in front of transport providers to ensure greater integration?...

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26
  Print  

Jump to: